Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap cloud storage without sync - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap cloud storage without sync

2»

Comments

• pcanpcan Member
    edited February 2013

@flam316: We use Microsoft Skydrive with the free http://cloudstorageexplorer.com Windows client. The skydrive storage is mounted as just another icon in the My Computer folder, and it does not syncronize anything automatically. This software has some flaws, but is a nice free "default" solution. The only real issue is that Cloud Storage Explorer could eventually be disabled by Microsoft, or Microsoft could start to charge for the now-free basic Skydrive service.
    If you don't need a fancy iPhone/Android app, your best bet is to use the basic built-in Windows feature to mount a webdav or ftp network share. This is a time tested solution that don't need any additional client software on Windows or Mac; a proper firewall configuration on the office network and on the web server is all you need.

• @Francisco said: Storage plans can run anything a standard vps can, assuming you have enough resources.

Didn't know this. This is definitely a possibility. Will storage nodes be available in NY anytime soon? Vegas is around 100ms away from the NYC metro area, which isn't acceptable.

• @prae5 said: livedrive.com

Wow, that looks awesome! I'll have to take a closer look into this to see if it's a viable solution. Thanks!

@pcan said: We use Microsoft Skydrive

Max 100gb of storage is not enough for us. We need about a 1tb.

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited February 2013

1TB @flam316, see BuyVM. They have 1TB plans in stock as of earlier today.

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited February 2013

@pubcrawler said: 1TB @flam316, see BuyVM. They have 1TB plans in stock as of earlier today.

I don't think BuyVM is a cloud storage service provider

• @pubcrawler said: 1TB @flam316, see BuyVM. They have 1TB plans in stock as of earlier today.

I know, but I can't do Vegas. Latency is too high from where I am.

• Install your own open source cloud software @gubbyte.

• @flam316, agree about the 100ms times. That should improve in next few months.

In meantime, there are some providers who have posted storage offers. Were a few out of Choopa, in New Jersey. Unsure if folks have 1TB chunks, but suspect someone does there.

Serveraxis in Chicago has 1TB storage VPS plans. Good network there. Good provider:
    VS001.0G-0001.0TM 1/1 1.0GB 2.0GB 1TB 1M 10 1000GB $24

https://billing.serveraxis.com/order.php?type=VS001.0G-0001.0TM

• @pubcrawler said: Were a few out of Choopa, in New Jersey. Unsure if folks have 1TB chunks, but suspect someone does there.

Do you have any links to these? I get 6 ms pings to Choopa's network.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@flam316 I offer storage out of choopa. Give me a couple minutes. Posting a new storage offer as we speak

• @Fliphost said: I offer storage out of choopa. Give me a couple minutes. Posting a new storage offer as we speak

I'd be glad to check that out. Do you have any uptime stats? This is for a small business and reliability is important.

• @flam316 said: @prae5 said: livedrive.com

Wow, that looks awesome! I'll have to take a closer look into this to see if it's a viable solution. Thanks!

I've used it for a couple of customers and they have all got on really well with it - I would happily recommend it.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@flam316 Had 100% for the life of the server. Sadly had to reboot it a couple days ago for a kernel update: http://stats.pingdom.com/0jyqr90bn5pa/682896/history

• @prae5 said: I've used it for a couple of customers and they have all got on really well with it - I would happily recommend it.

Not enough users in their Express business plan and the next plan up is too expensive. Do you know if you can add extra users?

• We've decided to buy another .5 node from Dediserve because we already have a few nodes with them. We're going to mount Constant.com S3-compatible storage to a OwnCloud over at Dediserve and call it a day. It's only slightly more expensive, has managed support, and with Constant, almost limitless storage capacity.

• Constant.com and Choopa are related / same facility.

Dediserve's prices seem steep. How much storage did you get @flam316 and at what cost?

• Constant.com and Choopa are related / same facility.

I know. :)

@pubcrawler said: Dediserve's prices seem steep. How much storage did you get @flam316 and at what cost?

They have managed support, firewalls, snapshots, enterprise-grade SAN, auto failover, an app and free migration all for cheaper than most other enterprise-grade cloud services.

It's not an LEB, but for what you're getting, I say it's a steal.

• Bump:

I've been testing OwnCloud and came across an issue. More than one person can open a file at once. This can end very badly with lots of lost data. Is there a way to circumvent this?