Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap cloud storage without sync
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap cloud storage without sync

flam316flam316 Member
edited February 2013 in General

Dropbox, Google Drive, SugarSync.... they all sync files between computers and the cloud. What if I just wanted all my files in the cloud and not synced on my computers?

I'm looking for a solution for a client of mine. Something like Google Drive, where I'd ultimately be able to access most things online if I wanted to. But, I want to be able to mount the cloud storage on our computers. I don't want all the employees to have all these files on their computer locally, but I'd like them to be able to access it the same way they would a network drive. Since we have 1TB+ of data, sync clients aren't what we're looking for. I think what I need is one of these cloud services with full WebDAV support.

Besides OwnCloud (it's software, not a service), what cloud storage service does what I want?

Comments

• He means like a mapped drive/windows share.

• I believe Mega are going to have something like this soon(tm)

• mojedamojeda Member
    edited February 2013

ownCloud + WebDAV?

http://owncloud.org/support/webdav/

Edit---

Looks like you were looking for stuff other than owncloud.

• People do offer owncloud services, a list is in their site

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Samba?

• @shovenose said: Rackspace :)

http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/block-storage/

That's more like Amazon S3, which is not exactly what I'm looking for. The software required to mount an S3 bucket or RackSpace's equivalent is expensive and my client has a lot of computers. It wouldn't really work, but thanks for the suggestion.

I'm not looking for a file manager, I'm looking to map a network drive/folder like @KernelSanders said. Thanks for the input, anyways

@gubbyte said: I believe Mega are going to have something like this soon(tm)

Given Kim's track record with the US government, I wouldn't feel comfortable using this with my client. Mega is great for personal, non-critical data... but I wouldn't trust it with a small business.

@mojeda said: ownCloud + WebDAV?

http://owncloud.org/support/webdav/

Edit---

Looks like you were looking for stuff other than owncloud.

This is looking like the best option right now. I'd probably end up mounting S3 storage to an OwnCloud server for near-unlimited storage capabilities. I'm still looking for a fully functioning, ready-made approach and am open to other options.

@KernelSanders said: People do offer owncloud services, a list is in their site

I'm looking for a US based company, preferably on the east coast. Also, most of these companies can't offer the storage we need at a reasonable price point.

@jarland said: Samba?

I'm not really understanding what this is. Care to explain?

• @flam316 said: I'm not really understanding what this is. Care to explain?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_(software)

I assume much like SSHFS which you could probably find a windows application that will enable SSHFS support.

• klikliklikli Member
    edited February 2013

@flam316 said: I'm not really understanding what this is. Care to explain?

Samba is a Linux implementation of SMB.

• After reading about disappearing harddrives and not restoreable backups I want to have a cheap offsite backup of my vps.
    Only found nimbus.io but it is still beta.
    So any other cloud storage usable with a non-gui linux server, offering encryption and only billing used space?

• Rsync + SSHFS + ??? whatever for Windoze to map the share. I don't do Windows, I only clean up the mess they make.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
  • iDrive looks interesting @gbshouse.

• iDrive looks interesting @gbshouse.

• @pubcrawler
    The question is where you can get cheap 10-50GB of storage where you can use sshfs. No client app, no gui. Just a mountable storage system.
    I would use something like:
    rsync to /backup -> ccrypt () -> rsync to external storage.

Rackspace is cool. $0.15/GB/month sounds good. But their packages start at 15$ per month.

@gbshouse
    Do you use iDrive? Do you need their client to use the service?

@pubcrawler - at least they have the app which works on Windows servers

@wlanboy - yes, I'm using it both for private and business purposes and I'm happy with it. You can use their app or web based panel

• Depends on the need device wise. BuyVM offers cheap storage and it supports FUSE and thusly SSHFS by default.

$7/mo for 250GB of storage, 2500GB Bandwidth @ 1 gbps and it's a KVM VPS.

WIth SSHFS you can use whatever app and map this all to desktop or any device with FUSE support. Bunch of Windows SSHFS tie ins out there also.

• @gbshouse
    So no sshfs/ftp/webdav access?

@wlanboy - for their sync service take a look here https://www.idrivesync.com/faq/topic/webdav

• Ajaxplorer can integrate webdav I believe yes?

edited February 2013

@twain said: Ajaxplorer can integrate webdav I believe yes?

Sure can.

@flam316 I recommend you hop on BuyVM's storage VPS stock while it's there. Steady for a few days and more coming in March supposedly, but we all know BuyVM stock can dry up with no notice and disappear for months. I picked up the 250GB and put the turnkey file server setup on it. It's wonderful. Ajaxplorer even has an iPad app now I learned. Much like the Dropbox app.

• @jarland.. hehe I set ajaxplorer up manually yesterday.. didn't know there was a turnkey for it... The samba authentication that the appliance auto-sets up, is that the same as the ldap authentication (already set up ldap on mine, but the turnkey looks like it has a bit more features going on, nice)

• @jarland said: I recommend you hop on BuyVM's storage VPS stock while it's there.

I'm not sure if they'd allow me to install OwnCloud on their storage plans.

@flam316 said: I'm not sure if they'd allow me to install OwnCloud on their storage plans.

As far as I'm aware they don't have any policies about use of the storage VPS as opposed to the others. Could verify that real quick with a @Francisco tag.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

The only limit is our standard TOS.

Storage plans can run anything a standard vps can, assuming you have enough resources.

@Francisco said: The only limit is our standard TOS.

Straight from the horse's mouth.

Couldn't resist.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

This reminds me, I need to post my next storage offer. Surprised I forgot

• livedrive.com