Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bitcasa out of Beta: $69 a year for 'infinite storage' - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bitcasa out of Beta: $69 a year for 'infinite storage'

13»

Comments

• Still baby step bandwidth :) But then again, you don't need it until you customers in line or ready to be.

Any model like this would be a ramp up for sanity sake.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@24khost

I was too lazy to read entire thread. What is it that your asking and I will get an answer back asap :)

• Signed up for the free plan and installed the mobile app on my android but it just kept crashing so had to uninstall it..too bad 10gb for free seems to be the most generous.

• @earl said: too bad 10gb for free seems to be the most generous.

Dropbox = 20gb free

• @gubbyte said: 8 exabytes is not infinite

They have more than that, but that's all Windows will notice.

• mojedamojeda Member
    edited February 2013

@gubbyte said: Dropbox = 20gb free

Up to 20GB much different than 20GB free.

They don't just give you 20GB, you have to refer quite a few friends if I'm not mistaken.

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@gubbyte said: Dropbox = 20gb free

I have a dropbox it's only 2gb for the free account, it's far from 20 gb unless there is a coupon code I'm missing out on?

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited February 2013

@earl said: I have a dropbox it's only 2gb for the free account, it's far from 20 gb unless there is a coupon code I'm missing out on?

You can earn up to almost-20GB with referrals, as mentioned above. It'll take a long time if you do it the honest way, but can easily be done more quickly with fake signups.

• So 20-40tb badwidth commit would be fine. What is a commit of 20tb - 40tb cost on a discount provider.

• Bet you are going to find a lot of variability on the commit @24khost.

To get real guaranteed bandwidth, hmm 100Mbit is roughly that 40tb (actually 32TB I believe).

$5 per Mbit for bandwidth I'd guess mixed lower cost average.

But slews of providers with all sorts of specials of all sorts. HE + Cogent bare buys on that are $1-$2 per Mbit. Problem is real throughput, even if dedicated bought bandwidth.

• Then again, facilities like Colounlmiited in Dallas sell half racks with 100Mbps unmetered which performs great at half cabinet space for $399. Network performs great there.

• okay so lets use a full rack at 800.00 a month with 100Mbps unmetered. lets ad in extra power drop so now we are looking at $1200 a month total for just the colo.

Let's say you layout cost for hardware getting a used setup like the netapp one I found with drives added is around 15000 dollars with extra hardware laying around. So 96tb usable space.

so let's charge 5.75 a month for "Virtually Infinite" space so let's only put 500 people per rack. that give technically everybody 196.61gb space(more than most people will use).

Now time for the real math

500(Clients) * 5.75(montly cost) * 12(months in a year) = $34,500
    $1200(monthly colo) * 12(months in a year) + 15000(hardware cost)= $29,400

First year profit $34,500 - $29,400 = $5,100

not alot but still profitable. no the second year though is where you make your profit.

500(Clients) * 5.75(montly cost) * 12(months in a year) = $34,500
    $1200(monthly colo) * 12(months in a year)= $14,400

2nd year profit 34,500 - $14,400 = $20,100

• TommehMTommehM Member
    edited February 2013

If I put 1PB of data on their cloud, It would be fine? bullshit. (Not like I have 1PB of hard drive space to handle the 1PB worth of data)

• @gubbyte said: Dropbox = 20gb free

Dropbox only gave me 2GB of free space :<

• @TommehM said: Dropbox only gave me 2GB of free space :<

>

@gubbyte said: You can earn up to almost-20GB with referrals, as mentioned above. It'll take a long time if you do it the honest way, but can easily be done more quickly with fake signups.

• I normally don't read threads completely at 5:38am ._.