Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bitcasa out of Beta: $69 a year for 'infinite storage' - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bitcasa out of Beta: $69 a year for 'infinite storage'

Comments

• Here we go, not going to agree with you guys. (gets ready for the lashing.)

So we all know that with huge raid arrays of local storage and big sans arrays technically you can provide an infinite amount of space to people. So we are not looking at having ssd i/o here we are looking at have ssd cached i/o. plus having 16-32 drive raid arrays.
    so lets assume with 32 1tb drives in raid 60 we are looking at 28000 GB of space.
    for those of you who say you can't I have seen raid expanders used by one shared hosting company that had 64 drives per server. there was a youtube video of it.
    This is without san arrays.

Simple logic is most people won't use all thier space so you oversell

• HP 3PAR StoreServ 7000 Storage

offers 864tb of storage.

• @24khost 864tb is not infinite

• @gubbyte
    no I am coining the term "Virtually infinite", cause you just move them to another server.

• Problem with those solutions @24khost is cost.

Any idea what the sticker price on the HP Store Serve with 864TB costs?

Expanding that requires another unit probably. It's still not unlimited in any way.

Tying all that storage to one server, very limited usefulness. SAN with shared distributed front ends, yeah that's where the market went for multi tenant long time ago.

Certainly are interesting, but costly solutions out there. No one shoe fits all solution.

• lots of backblaze pods?

• Backblaze pods are pretty interesting @mojeda. Still has finite storage and cost.

Nothing is unlimited. Nothing is free.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

looks nice, just signed up, like the fact that they've got a nice Android app, uploading a few files at the moment..

• @pubcrawler that is why I say "virtually infinite". Cause in reality yes these things are expensive. But this sans will last probably 3-5 years.

Here is an example of a used system
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NetApp-R100-Filer-Unit-SAN-w-7-Storage-Shelves-with-Trays-No-Drives-Installed-/160965513352?pt=US_SAN_Disk_Arrays&hash=item257a4ad088

no disks. this can scale to 96tb which is what this one is at.

Total cost to run this probably looking to start with about 5,000 then your rack colo cost. Then getting customers.

So let's figure that 1000 customers paying 6.90 per month or 69 dollars a year. That is $6900 a month. That is about 98gb per person. Now some may use more some may use less. But at that amount I am sure you can afford to buy a couple of more racks with some higher density sans rack systems that will pay for themselves in a short time.

• Probably will get punished for power draw on the old gear.

It can be done. Balancing act. Plus it's exotic priced old gear ... used...

Backblaze was the company with the DIY storage units. 64TB 4+ years ago for < $8k. That model is what I'd do.

• just saying it can be done, and if yur renting a whole rack I have seen prices as low as 350.00 for full 42u rack. Even if you have to add extra power your still looking at 6900 a month.

So let's figure $1500 a month for colo and bw commit for a full rack with extra power
    extra disks laying around for failure replacement lets look at 2000 a month. That is $4900 a month. 58,800.00 p/y per rack. So technically it is possible.

• @24khost I hope you know they're using Amazon S3...

• I love it when all the LETard nerds go "liek omfg, cant be unlimited". Each person has 25 GB of unique data on average, and this company is selling their services for $10/month or $69 year, which is $0.40/$0.23 per GB per month, and they pay maximum $0.060 per GB per month to Amazon.

That's a huge profit margin compared to the average LEB kiddy host.

• It's been a year since they've claimed Linux support is coming, and all they have to show for it is a 64-bit only Ubuntu 12.04+ alpha client. It's a pity companies don't pay more attention to Linux.

• @Adduc said: It's a pity companies don't pay more attention to Linux.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems
    I don't blame them.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Hmm, worth it :P

• 8 exabytes is not infinite

• @gubbyte said: 8 exabytes is not infinite

Then go and fill it up...

• edited February 2013

@gubbyte said: 8 exabytes is not infinite

1 exabyte = 1,073,741,824 gigabytes
    8 exabytes = 8,589,934,592 gigabytes
    8 exabytes = 8,388,608 terabytes

• it may not be infinite but they just add more to thier cluster. So in all reality space is unlimited based on the size of the cluster. Also if you got excessive and were storing backups of your dvd collection they might frown on that.

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited February 2013

they pay maximum $0.060 per GB per month to Amazon.

That's 6 cents per GB of storage per month. Fine. Now does that include the bandwidth too?

Even at 6 cents per GB flat cost, we are talking 166GB before it reaches the no profit zone on the $10 plan.

If we take the unlimited $69 plan and divide it = $5.75 a month we are talking about 95GB of "unique" storage per month before you aren't profitable to them.

All those are exclusive of transit and any other surcharges that may exist.

• most people are not storing that amount. I am also sure they have newer san compared to the one I posted earlier. 784 tb even if they don't make any money for the first few months after that they are rolling in the money.

• @pubcrawler said: Now does that include the bandwidth too?

It includes the price of data transfer to Amazon ($0.000 per GB). It's impossible to calculate the price per GB of data out, as they must have cache servers of their own where they store the most frequently requested files (instead of directly fetching them from EC2/S3).

Still, it's a game of numbers - for every unprofitable customer, there will be dozens of profitable customers.

• No doubt @heiska. Oversell and unused is the profit. Real users are cash losers.

@24khost, the Netapp devices are notoriously pricey. Unsure what current pricing is, but years back we were talking north of $100k. Long time to profit with those numbers and these low end customers.

• I was just using that netapp device as an example with 1000 customers on there $58,800 a year per rack in profit with used equipment. Now I am sure if you got a good deal on leasing the hardware, I think I saw a lease on one of these sans units at like 374 a month for the main portion of the setup and I am sure the storage racks are not even that much to lease. You could cut your yearly upfront cost by thousands.

• True @24khost, true.

There are margins, just requires nearly full sale of the space plus factoring other cost centers.

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited February 2013

@pubcrawler

Which I am sure with some clever reviewing I could come up with a few used systems like the one I used for my idea, I figured $2000 a month per rack with power, bw commit and extra drives. Somebody correct me if my $2000 dollars a month is out of my mind, as I am sure I can find cheaper. What is the bandwidth commit in somepace like dactec?

• @CVPS_Chris maybe you can help us to run some massive bandwidth here what are we looking at for 10 to 20 tb of bandwidth?

• 10 - 20TB of BW is nothing. Drop in a bucket.

Every 1TB = 3Mbps sustained over month.

10TB = 30Mbps
    20TB = 60Mbps

I probably f'd the Mbps part... always stumbling over the multi-bit conversion standards.

You can get that BW anywhere @24khost.

• @CVPS_Chris Okay how about 200Mbps?