Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting a VPS Service. - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Starting a VPS Service.

13»

Comments

• makandey said: Yeah, good point. Should probably look into better hardware.

It's not just about better hardware. Usually with more 'premium' services, providers are obliged/inclined to provide Service Level Agreements promising uptime of a certain level. If the vendors/upstreams you use don't even offer that for you and you offer that, it's just false marketing. Looking as you were intending to get a Delimiter service and provide 'premium' service off of it, what would you do if, for example, they have an outage of a few days like previously?

• 2khosts2khosts Member
    edited March 2016

If you want to start a vps service (company) and have a budget of at least $8000 for promotions ads seo social media, and can pay 1 year ahead for all your services, nodes etc, and have a $3000+ backup money you will be fine.

• makandey said: Very true, I was looking into building my own version of WHMCS. Maybe something like Linode. Of course making a cloud VPS software isn't too hard for me if I had enough time and documentation, (since my knowledge of HTML, JS, PHP is great, well at least I think) but the thought of the amount of servers I would need is probably to much for a small starter like me.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel, it could distract you from the business - which I figured was the medium-long term goal.. @edan and @BeardyUnixGuy both gave good advice, and you're seeing first hand the community's _mostly _well supported cynicism.

You can do all the math you want, but if you don't have a concise business plan actually written down, then you are missing your foundation. Futurpreneur has a good interactive bp writer, and I encouragedforced my most recent business partner to work through it before I agreed to come on board. It has been invaluable in guiding our business expansion from shared hosting to include vps. We just surpassed our first 100 clients after 8 months with negligible advertising, and were cashflow positive by December.

If you have questions, feel free to PM.

Thanked by 3edan aglodek makandey
  • @Boltersdriveer said:
    It's not just about better hardware. Usually with more 'premium' services, providers are obliged/inclined to provide Service Level Agreements promising uptime of a certain level. If the vendors/upstreams you use don't even offer that for you and you offer that, it's just false marketing. Looking as you were intending to get a Delimiter service and provide 'premium' service off of it, what would you do if, for example, they have an outage of a few days like previously?

Still not sure if I will even get from them though.

@Dustlab said:
    If you have questions, feel free to PM.

Thanks! Yeah I think I will have to work on the business plan quite a lot.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@BharatB said:
    I can feel the heat already :) summer is very bad this year.

We better get an A/C unit in here.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@shovenose said:
    We better get an A/C unit in here.

So bad that you could see a A/C sweating :P

• flopvflopv Member

Dual XEON E5420 is too old processor. Replace it with some good processor, which can handle to load.