Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting a VPS Service.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Starting a VPS Service.

So I am planning to start selling VPSes very soon. I have done quite a bit of Math and I am planning on buying a dedicated server.

I wanted to know, how much would you guys pay for the following specs? Please make it something reasonable that you would sell yourself if you had the opportunity too. Also I am not planning to oversell at all and try to keep people low on the CPU usage so it is fair for everyone:

1 vCPU

1GB Ram

60GB HDD

500GB Bandwidth

================================

My server specs:

CPU: Dual XEON E5420

RAM: 16GB DDR3 RAM

DISK: 2x500GB HDD

BANDWIDTH: 10TB

(Yeah I am planning to only sell around 14 - 16 on each node)

Comments

• I am trying to be a premium service, but also on the other hand something not too expensive. Thanks again everyone for the support if you can provide :)

• Sorry for posting so much, should I cut down a bit on the HDD space and change it to vSwap?

• save yourself the trouble and dont bother.

• Thank god, I am glad you recognized such an undersupplied market.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I think you should revisit your plan to sell VMs. Just doing some basic math doesn't even get you close.

And if you are aiming for a premium service, those specs won't do.

• I suppose you'd find the "willing to pay" and "what it costs you" number are pretty much the same, unless you plan on it being managed.

• RizRiz Member

The weathers been so nice, now this confirms that Summer is coming early!

• in that case, $1/m.

• lazytlazyt Member

Lousy place to ask this question. These folks would rather pay a dollar a month for a thousand vms on a similar setup vps.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • At 14-16 VPSes per node, you aren't going to be making enough money to stay in business very long. It's pretty hard to call a node with a pair of mechanical disks and CPUs that were in vogue 10 years ago "premium".

• BlazingServersBlazingServers Member, Host Rep

@Microlinux said:
    At 14-16 VPSes per node, you aren't going to be making enough money to stay in business very long. It's pretty hard to call a node with a pair of mechanical disks and CPUs that were in vogue 10 years ago "premium".

Mechanical Disks are OKAY. But the CPU is really antique.

• If you aren't overselling the HDD, that means you intend to RAID0 the two 500GB drives?

• VPS_UnlimitedVPS_Unlimited Member
    edited March 2016

It is nice that you plan on becoming something special (premium service) but honestly I think your plan needs some adjustment. Go for say 30GB disk space (that is if you have some spare ssd switch to those) and make the plan about 5$/mo :) If you are not just selling but also want to provide kinda "premium" service go for somethign about 10$.
    Oh and dont mind the haters :) Despite the fact this community is full of people who do their own hosting services they sometimes act like they despise VPS and hosting services and new competitors all the same. Quite controversial, huh? Again, dont mind them, do what you were looking to do and keep at it. Improve step by step and offer a stable service. Atleast thats what most current hosting providers are lacking.
    Good luck!

• @BlazingServers said:
    Mechanical Disks are OKAY.

I don't think in a two disk configuration under the guise of a "premium" service. That's a stretch, unless he's targeting a low IO market - which I don't see any indication of.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • BlazingServersBlazingServers Member, Host Rep

@Microlinux said:
    I don't think in a two disk configuration under the guise of a "premium" service. That's a stretch, unless he's targeting a low IO market - which I don't see any indication of.

Oh...yes...I thought you were telling that he should have used SSDs.

• @JoeMerit said:
    save yourself the trouble and dont bother.

Worth a try still.

@Awmusic12635 said:
    I think you should revisit your plan to sell VMs. Just doing some basic math doesn't even get you close.

And if you are aiming for a premium service, those specs won't do.

This is not the final math at all! No, no, it's just an idea of what I am planning to try sometime in 3 - 4 months.

@Microlinux said:
    At 14-16 VPSes per node, you aren't going to be making enough money to stay in business very long. It's pretty hard to call a node with a pair of mechanical disks and CPUs that were in vogue 10 years ago "premium".

Thanks, I'll see if I can find any other dedicated servers to buy!

@wwabbit said:
    If you aren't overselling the HDD, that means you intend to RAID0 the two 500GB drives?

Honestly I am not sure. Should I go for 120GB of SSD, Raid1 the two 500GB so that we are only down at 500GB if a drive fails, or Raid0 them for the sake of space.

@VPS_Unlimited said:
    It is nice that you plan on becoming something special (premium service) but honestly I think your plan needs some adjustment. Go for say 30GB disk space (that is if you have some spare ssd switch to those) and make the plan about 5$/mo :) If you are not just selling but also want to provide kinda "premium" service go for somethign about 10$.
    Oh and dont mind the haters :) Despite the fact this community is full of people who do their own hosting services they sometimes act like they despise VPS and hosting services and new competitors all the same. Quite controversial, huh? Again, dont mind them, do what you were looking to do and keep at it. Improve step by step and offer a stable service. Atleast thats what most current hosting providers are lacking.
    Good luck!

Wow! Thank you for the positive feedback. Yeah I was thinking about going for a 120GB SSD or just RAID1 the two hard drives so the files of the costumers are always safe if one drive fails.

@BlazingServers said:
    Oh...yes...I thought you were telling that he should have used SSDs.

Still don't know if I should go for a 120GB SSD. I was afraid the space was a bit too low.

Do you guys have any good dedicated server websites I can visit and checkout? Just please don't make the monthly budget over $100, well because I don't really want to get that big. Thanks for all the help guys!

• I myself do have a dedicated server down at Joe's Datacenter running a couple gameservers. Not sure if I want to buy another dedi there for selling VPSes as $60 is a very good price, but I didn't think I needed that strong of a CPU. (Now that you guys are telling me the current CPU sucks, I might change to go towards that.)

• alexnjhalexnjh Member
    edited March 2016

Its a delimiter server ?

• VyprNetworksVyprNetworks Member
    edited March 2016

@makandey said:
    Do you guys have any good dedicated server websites I can visit and checkout? Just please don't make the monthly budget over $100, well because I don't really want to get that big. Thanks for all the help guys!

Feel free to check us out we have some pretty good dedicated server specials would love to help you out getting started, perhaps even some great colocation specials to secure a great startup for you.

• @masterqqq said:
    Its a delimiter server ?

The one I was planning to buy, yes.

• @makandey said:

Go with this one and save yourself some money:
    https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-classic

• For me, location and network stability are the biggest issues that make a provider 'premium'. I'm willing to pay more for solid network uptime in a location I need/want. Best of luck to you.

• bersybersy Member
    edited March 2016

VPS_Unlimited said: Go with this one and save yourself some money: https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-classic

Looks like it was a limited server offer, it isn't available anymore. Moreover OP's target is US if I recall right.

• Have you had a look at OVH Canada?

Thanked by 1makandey
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

That's not premium... E3/E5 with ssd cached raid10 or pure ssd raid10... That would be closer.

• shovenose said: E3/E5 with ssd cached raid10 or pure ssd raid10... That would be closer.

Or RAID0 4 drives for the true premium experience!

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2016

@linuxthefish said:

Yellowvaluehost?

• makandey said: I am trying to be a premium service

To me a premium service is not so much about the specs ( although that does matter) but more about privacy. What are you offering in that department?

• The VPS market is saturated. Unless you have something unique to offer please, please don't waste your money and people's time.

New providers buying single servers at retail prices, paying 2016 prices for IPs, having no reputation and hoping to sell bog-standard VPS services are basically trying to do the impossible.

If you haven't realised this, you've done the maths wrong.

Sorry to be negative, just trying to save you some money and time. Find something a bit different and you might have a shot.

• @linuxthefish said:

The best deal is running RAID0 on the E5420, but 12-16 VPS's are too low, make them 200-300 and sell at $0.20 per VM. Advertise the service as fully managed with 30 second guaranteed response time.

There we go, unique. You'll be out of stock within minutes!

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent