Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would pricing in € negatively impact conversions / scare people?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would pricing in € negatively impact conversions / scare people?

BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep

Just wondering, do you think pricing in € instead of $ would scare some people away (for a global service)?

Comments

• At least when the value of euro to USD drops over time your services will get cheaper!

Thanked by 1yomero
  • LeeLee Veteran

Don't see why for as many years the US was really the only cost effective location to get service however that has changed a lot, so having to convert from EUR > Local is not any different to USD > Local

Thanked by 1asf
  • Agree, the only segment of society I'd see having doubts, is in the USA... but tech clients are not your averagely informed person.

• HeKazHeKaz Member

It would not scare me but is definitely and inconvenience (as is USD pricing everywhere). Your customer should see pricing in their local currency as much as technologically possible

• LeeLee Veteran

If the seconds it takes to convert from one currency to another is an inconvenience then I really don't know what else to say...

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2016

@Lee said:
    If the seconds it takes to convert from one currency to another is an inconvenience then I really don't know what else to say...

The biggest problem with conversion I think is the fact that Google converts 0.015€ into $0.02 and even 0.0145€ into $0.02 which is... painful to see~

• Why not offer a choice of currency? We offer GBP, USD and EURO currencies and the conversions are updated daily.

• if your target audience is european then you shouldn't have a problem, but lots of people are scared of the € , they just think it's so expensive. That's as far as i've seen in our native country of Honduras and some places in the US. Most people think dollars when shopping online, regardless of their location

Thanked by 1namhuy
  • For me, the answer is yes

• nepsneps Member

DreamCaster said: For me, the answer is yes

Me as well. When I see Euro pricing, I automatically assume VAT will be added at the end of the checkout process. Plus it complicates things, as USD pricing is everywhere.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • if your target audience are Americans charge in dollars.

Otherwise, Euro or murica dollars are ubiquitous.

• I'm with @ricardo in that some US customers may be a problem, though the tech crowd is likely less insular. I imagine Europeans don't much mind either way, but it might be better to just use USD to be on the safe side if you expect a lot of US business.

@neps comment is a good point. Euro pricing may trigger a concern about VAT added at checkout. I have the same issue with Canadian dollars, when I see that I'm concerned that there will be an added 12% tax.

• Layer03Layer03 Member, Host Rep

@WSCallum said:
    Why not offer a choice of currency? We offer GBP, USD and EURO currencies and the conversions are updated daily.

This would be the best choice, maybe a dropdown button at the top of the page.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited March 2016

@neps said:
    Me as well. When I see Euro pricing, I automatically assume VAT will be added at the end of the checkout process. Plus it complicates things, as USD pricing is everywhere.

Plus some (rather) scummy providers charge VAT on non-residents. I am a non-resident since I live in Canada, so I can't claim the tax back.