Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

i3D.net $30~ dual xeon at WHT - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

i3D.net $30~ dual xeon at WHT

13»

Comments

• I didn't get software RAID either, you had to ask when ordering. I don't mind I just had to mount the second drive, don't plan on using it for anything major so should be fine. Interestingly the second drive was formatted in Windows NTFS, lazy tech maybe?

• I got my /64 IPv6.

ping6 -c5 ipv6.google.com

PING ipv6.google.com(ea-in-x67.1e100.net) 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from ea-in-x67.1e100.net: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=6.49 ms
    64 bytes from ea-in-x67.1e100.net: icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=6.48 ms
    64 bytes from ea-in-x67.1e100.net: icmp_seq=3 ttl=57 time=6.39 ms
    64 bytes from ea-in-x67.1e100.net: icmp_seq=4 ttl=57 time=6.52 ms
    64 bytes from ea-in-x67.1e100.net: icmp_seq=5 ttl=57 time=6.43 ms
    --- ipv6.google.com ping statistics ---
    5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4012ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 6.395/6.465/6.527/0.111 ms

Except the high cost of options, I don't have to complain and would even say I am pretty satisfied.

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@netadmin said: However you can request KVM over IP which is a less expensive way to reinstall:

yeah that is a cheaper route.. or even ordering a new server would be cheaper than paying the 50 euro

Forgot to mention there is another way to install centos over vnc saw it here on LET but cant recall from which thread.. I have not tried but looks interesting.

http://www.nux.ro/archive/2011/01/CentOS_install_over_VNC.html

• 5€ paypal surcharge have also been added to pay link on the mail.So it seems to be added ongoing months.

• @imperio said: 5€ paypal surcharge have also been added to pay link on the mail.So it seems to be added ongoing months.

Really? You sure? I got a renewal email last week without a paypal surcharge, but that was a week ago.

• Clicked on the paylink on the mail:

30€ server + 5€ paypal surcharge

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

They may have seen this topic and fixed the issue.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited February 2013

@Saahib said: They may have seen this topic and fixed the issue.

Well this really sucks. I hate to do this, but I just submitted a complaint directly to WebHostingTalk. I am enjoying the service a lot, but I don't think it's fair to tack on extra fees that were not properly communicated while ordering. In my helpdesk ticket with WHT, I suggested they require I3D to announce the per-invoice fee rather than hitting customers after they sign up.

Paypal might want to know too, I have not yet decided if I want to go that route, but if anyone else wants to, by all means go ahead. Paypal's T&C for Netherlands says the Paypal Surcharge must be communicated to the customer when ordering, and it sounds like it was not, it just showed up as a higher price on Paypal after placing the order at a different price.

• We can all together complaint paypal count me in.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited February 2013

If you have a WebHostingTalk account, and if you felt the ad misrepresented the price for the service,

1) Go here http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1234899 and click LOGIN near the upper-right of the page unless you are already logged in.

2) Under the Display Modes pulldown, press "REPORT".

3) Tell WebHostingTalk that you responded to that ad for [fill-in] Euros but they added a 5 Euro fee per month, and you felt like that was a considerable amount and didn't think the ad was fair.

Only do so if you actually felt mislead, don't do it just to start trouble or everybody loses.

I guess they are going to have good trouble now.

• I reported to WHT with screenshots.

• FreekFreek Member
    edited February 2013

So, how is everyone enjoying his server? I don't have any complaints so far.
    Disk I/O is low, but that was to be expected from those old drives (40MB/s).
    Only thing that bugs me is that there's no control panel whatsoever to reboot etc. Everything has to be submitted via a ticket on their website, which looks it's from the nineties..

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited February 2013

Btw, i3d is now saying they removed the 5 EUR Paypal service fee!

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=8565462#post8565462

@Freek said: how is everyone enjoying his server

For the price, I think it can't be beat.

My disk speed is fast; 98.1 MBytes/sec from
    dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; rm iotest

I'm pretty satisfied.

• Btw, i3d is now saying they removed the 5 EUR Paypal service fee!

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=8565462#post8565462

I understand from that post is they removed paypal fee for early customers as it is still counted on my new invoice when i click the pay link.

• @imperio said: it is still counted on my new invoice when i click the pay link

As per that WebHostingTalk post, open a ticket with them.

• DrukpaDrukpa Member
    edited February 2013

@jon617 said: My disk speed is fast; 98.1 MBytes/sec from

dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; rm iotest

Is this a SW RAID1 ?

**** me. My SW RAID1, 2x500GB from a different provider gives me ~40MB/s with little load on the server.

Thats pretty lame , one of the server I have Raid 1 , I get :
    2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 9.69073 s, 222 MB/s