Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

i3D.net $30~ dual xeon at WHT - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

i3D.net $30~ dual xeon at WHT

Comments

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited February 2013

"No additional fee for OS installed with software RAID 1."

Nick (at sales) told me "Please note that we charge € 50 setup for software RAIDs"

They also don't take credit cards directly. All credit card payments are done through PayPal and you need a PayPal account (no checkout without account option).

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@ztec said: Its cheaper to just order a new server then re-install -O_

or you could just install proxmoxve or vmware from the start..

I'm not against companies making money but charging € 50 for reinstalls is just downright price gauging your customers..

• "charging € 50 for reinstalls is just downright price gauging your customers.."

Especially when their WHT ad says "Automation: re-install OS, reboot server, live traffic graphing"

• its not really necessarily price gouging, I think its more to deter people from reinstalling for no reason, but I agree its really scumbaggish

• ztecztec Member
    edited February 2013

@earl said: or you could just install proxmoxve or vmware from the start..

I'm not against companies making money but charging € 50 for reinstalls is just downright price gauging your customers..

I only have 1 IP, how would I do this without having 2 ips?

@DomainBop said: Especially when their WHT ad says "Automation: re-install OS, reboot server, live traffic graphing"

I'm gonna bring this one up in a support ticket.

Extra: I also had to pay 5 euro extra for paying with paypal...which is strange.

• @ztec said: Extra: I also had to pay 5 euro extra for paying with paypal...which is strange.

Bring this to paypal's attention :)

• "Extra: I also had to pay 5 euro extra for paying with paypal...which is strange."

If you click on the payment link in the email invoice you don't get charged the extra 5 but if you click on the payment link from the customer panel it automatically adds the extra 5.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Maybe an automated reinstall is free, and the fee is only if you need something custom done for you? Still bad that the charge for IPv6 is there, gives a bad overall impression of them and kills any desire to deal with such a company.

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@DomainBop said: Especially when their WHT ad says "Automation: re-install OS, reboot server, live traffic graphing"

Hmm your right I just noticed that then why the charge for reinstall if you can do it yourself?

@ztec said: I only have 1 IP, how would I do this without having 2 ips?

Cant you buy more IP's? I'm under the impression it's kinda pointless to have a dedi if you just have one IP..

@rm_ said: Still bad that the charge for IPv6 is there

Maybe they are trying to start a trend..

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited February 2013

@DomainBop said: If you click on the payment link in the email invoice you don't get charged the extra 5 but if you click on the payment link from the customer panel it automatically adds the extra 5.

Thanks, I just clicked on the link within the email and no extra 5 EUR fee. BUT, that is bait-and-switch. Advertise a price without mentioning the mandatory payment fee is classic bait-and-switch. Can get around it today, but what about month number 2?

I'm debating whether I should deal with a company who resorts to such shady tactics.

Right now I'm scanning through Paypal's fine print to see if bait-and-switch is disallowed.

No mention of the "paypal fee" in their terms http://www.i3d.net/docs/general-terms.pdf or anywhere on their site for that matter.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Thats odd , so many charges for little things and few actually purchased services already ..

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited February 2013

Found it.
    https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full (Last updated Jan 10, 2013)

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

So if people are charged this fee on their second month, post here then dispute the fee with paypal.

• @DomainBop said: If you click on the payment link in the email invoice you don't get charged the extra 5 but if you click on the payment link from the customer panel it automatically adds the extra 5.

I actually did click it from the email, I hope I can circumvent this charge the next monthly cycle.

Here are my serverbear charts

@jon617 said: So if people are charged this fee on their second month, post here then dispute the fee with paypal.

Thanks a lot, sir!

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited February 2013

jon617 said "4.6 No Surcharges.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full (Last updated Jan 10, 2013)"

The surcharge ban is for US based merchants. The Netherlands PayPal user agreement does allow surcharges.

https://cms.paypal.com/nl/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full&locale.x=en_US

Section 4.5

You agree that you will only surcharge for the use of PayPal in compliance with any law applicable to you. You further agree that if you do charge a buyer any form of surcharge that you, and not PayPal, will inform the buyer of the requested charge. PayPal has no liability to any buyer where you have failed to inform the buyer of any surcharge. Failure to comply with the above provisions shall constitute a breach of this Agreement and shall entitle PayPal to terminate this Agreement pursuant to section 10.3.

Worldstream also started charging a "PayPal transfer fee" surcharge last November. They issue a separate invoice for the surcharge.

• @DomainBop I was probably lucky:

RAID #1: Software Raid 1

[...]
    Onetime setupcosts € 0,00

Server not yet provisioned though so I don't know whether I'll get Software Raid 1 for free or not.

• Ordered WHT Deal #1. Nick was speedy to reply and server is due to be set up tomorrow, let's see how this goes! I had to pay 4.20 Euro tax for being within the EU however.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited February 2013

@DomainBop said: You further agree that if you do charge a buyer any form of surcharge that you, and not PayPal, will inform the buyer of the requested charge.

Thanks for the information. Interesting.

Has anyone seen a 5 EUR paypal fee anywhere on their website or in the agreement terms?

That would certainly be a notification, shady, but a notification nonetheless. However it sounds like we clicked on a pay link AFTER ordering and were asked to pay more without explanation or prior awareness of a surcharge. If they mentioned it during the order process somewhere, that would be in-line with the NL Paypal terms. My issue is they never mentioned it anywhere, they only increased the invoice amount without saying why. Am I wrong?

• @jon617 I paid no surcharge when I used PayPal

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited February 2013

@jkr1711 said: I paid no surcharge when I used PayPal

My worry is month number 2, 3, and so on.

Movie theaters often make more money from the concessions than in the movie tickets, so add-on & service fees are a great way for a provider to make money. Taxes are expected when required by law. But I've never heard of a payment processing transaction fee more than 4%. This fee is 25% if you signed up for a 20 EUR server. The company seems legitimate because I saw no real complaints, but I am treading carefully while wondering if someday I'll be stuck choosing whether to cancel or pay 25% more for something that was not communicated before we agreed on the terms.

Anyways, unless someone can tell me they were told about a Paypal surcharge before agreeing to the terms, it sounds like it could be a violation of Paypal's NL terms and we may be safe if we decide to sign up for this very good offer.

I am sending them email, lets see what they say about paypal stuff.

Received reply regarding paypal:
    1. PayPal fee is 5 euro (fixed amount on all invoices) Moneybookers and Bank transfer have no extra costs.
    Also, asked about IPMI, replied following:
    2. KVM over IP is available for 10 euro per month

Their default config looks tempting but rest is pretty repelling. ...
    So even if you go for Euro 20 plan, you will be paying Euro 25 and that too for single IP..

• Just got an update for my order placed yesterday

Your invoice F13-XXXXX (Custom order: Dedicated server - custom specifications - special pricing applies) has been rescheduled for service delivery on 06-02-2013. Your will receive an additional status update on or after this date regarding the ordered service(s) or product(s).

Wait and see...

• My server was up and running exactly 24h after paying the invoice (used PayPal link in the billing email, so I had no $5 extra charge).

Server is installed with CentOS 6.3 x86_64 (as ordered) with the last updates installed

yum update

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, security
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
    * base: mirror.widexs.nl
    * extras: mirror.nl.leaseweb.net
    * updates: nl.mirror.eurid.eu
    Setting up Update Process
    No Packages marked for Update

Software RAID 1 at no charge:

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/md1 239330748 1378344 225795024 1% /
    tmpfs 1961344 0 1961344 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/md0 1032076 66328 913320 7% /boot

Only glitch: IPv6 block not yet assigned:

As far as I can see we haven't assigned any IPv6 block to your dedicated server yet. I've forwarded your ticket to a colleague, he'll assist you further tomorrow.

Here is a ServerBear benchmark.

So far so good...

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited February 2013

@netadmin said: So far so good

I decided to sign up despite being concerned of fighting a possible surcharge battle. So far so good here too. I am pleased with the service so far.

• For some reason, I signed up as well. Not that I need it, but you can't sustain a 20 euro dedi with these specs ;)
    Anyway, since I live in The Netherlands, I also need to pay 4,20 euros of Tax on top of those PayPal fees, which makes it almost 30 euros. Which is ridiculous, so I also used the PayPal link in the billing mail, so that I at least don't have to pay the PayPal fees.

Sadly they sent me the wrong root password. I can't login. Just opened a ticket.
    Server was setup within 12 hours of payment.

• so is the re-install OS automatic?

• @earl No automatic OS re-installation. The only actions available for free are

• Power status
    • Start server
    • Stop server
    • Force stop
    • Power cycle (reboot)

For OS reload, you need to open a ticket and it costs 50 Euro per reload.

However you can request KVM over IP which is a less expensive way to reinstall:

KVM over IP costs 15 Euro per server per month. Remote media is included: this means you can install every OS through the KVM over IP and load local mounted media on your dedicated server

I haven't tried though and don't know whether you can request the KVM for only 1 month or have to pay for the rest of your server's life...

Well, they quote me Euro 10 per month for KVM.

Very lucrative deal but if you decide for addon, they suck. I have kinda decided not to use them. They are charging 2 euro for 1 IP ... and server only comes with one 1 Ip..

• @netadmin said: Software RAID 1 at no charge:

Is it just me, or do I just have 1 disk and no software RAID?

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda3 238G 1.1G 224G 1% /
    udev 2.1G 4.1k 2.1G 1% /dev
    tmpfs 830M 230k 830M 1% /run
    none 5.3M 0 5.3M 0% /run/lock
    none 2.1G 0 2.1G 0% /run/shm
    /dev/sda4 1.1G 44M 912M 5% /boot

• @Freek No software RAID indeed. Have you asked for it when you placed your order ?

As for the number if disks, run fdisk -l

You should get something like this:

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000
    [...]
    Disk /dev/sdb: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes