Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your preferred SSH apps for different platforms and why? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are your preferred SSH apps for different platforms and why?

2»

Comments

• Bitwise ssh tunnelier Putty...

• afterSt0rmafterSt0rm Member
    edited March 2016

Linux: Terminator + OpenSSH

Windows: Cygwin + OpenSSH

Android: Serverauditor + Hacker's Keyboard

• I second KiTTY, a regularly updated PuTTY fork - http://www.9bis.net/kitty/
    The hover effect on the links might suggest the project hasn't been touched since 1998, but it's alive and well.

• all of ssh clients maked by programmers without designers.
    For example MobaXterm very cool software, and i like it a lot, but the interface for me very ugly and not serious.

• LeeLee Veteran

I use MRemoteNG Not even sure how I came across it but been using it for ages.

• Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep

The Default Terminal on Mac.

Just works!

• Got a local jump host set up which has a nice little tmux configuration, SSH agent forwarding, a config file for all hosts, glances (python resource monitor) for each host and zsh with a few plugins. Connecting to that jump host via KiTTY as it has a few additional and useful window settings. Looks like that:

At the bottom you can see that I've got nested tmux sessions which make everything possible. (shell = shell on the jump host, glances = nested tmux with a window for each host, ssh = nested tmux session containing an unclosable window called "manager" which is just a shell, all new SSH connections will open up as new window).

On all other UNIX platforms I'm using just the default SSH client (+ custom font & colors) and on Android I stick to JuiceSSH which served me quite well for years.

• Linux: Guake - Always on, drop-down terminal is dope!

Window$: Cygwin - Gives you that Linux feeling on Window$

Android: ServerAuditor - Just plain great

Thanked by 1drazilox
  • edanedan Member
    edited March 2016

Bitvise. It has SSH and SFTP built-in (and more features). Must be a good reason why putty author (putty.org) listed the software as well http://www.putty.org/

• JuiceSSH is just great :) Using the free version and very happy! Windows Putty :P

• @thagoat said:
    Linux: Guake - Always on, drop-down terminal is dope!

Now that is cool. Thanks for recommending!

Thanked by 1thagoat
  • FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited March 2016

I paid for JuiceSSH, works like a charm and I especially like CloudSync :)

• @FlamesRunner said:
    I paid for JuiceSSH, works like a charm and I especially like CloudSync :)

I dont understand how people can type commands on such a small onscreen keyboard, even on 10 inch tablets lol

• I don't, I get my tablet and pair a BT keyboard ;)

Then, I change my preferences for a larger text size.

• After this thread ...I searched....
    For Android...Server Auditor...
    Looks cool...:-)

• gitresetgitreset Member
    edited March 2016

w: putty
    l: terminator
    a: juicessh (only b/c I got pro for free b/c of their promo)

• frkfrk Member

On OSX I use iTerm.

On Windows I use a combination of Pageant (for key managment), WinSCP for file transfer and cygwin for console/ssh access. :)

• mobaxterm for sure is great for Windows and ssh management. Very nice tab system and "grid" to have more than one session in the same screen

• All platforms: SecureCRT

• Putty. I don't see anything wrong with it, besides the fact that I have to re-open it once a session disconnects.
    And sometimes I use FireSSH (Firefox extension) + FireFTP is not bad as well.

• @ALinuxNinja said:
    I don't understand how people can type commands on such a small onscreen keyboard, even on 10 inch tablets lol

It's not that bad, just that it's not as satisfying as using a keyboard where you have some actual feedback as you type :)

I like JuiceSSH as I can change the font size of the terminal easily with the volume buttons (though I have to go back to the home screen to change the volume of my music).

• nepsneps Member
    edited March 2016

Boring, but on Windows Putty still gets the job done after all these years. Using another client feels like cheating.

• @theroyalstudent said:
    I like JuiceSSH as I can change the font size of the terminal easily with the volume buttons (though I have to go back to the home screen to change the volume of my music).

I actually find it more bearable with vibration, though the nexus 7 doesn't have it :(

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • I have JuiceSSH premium because of the promo. on my Android, but since I use Apple now, it's ServerAuditor. (not as good as JuiceSSH, but what'ya expect)