Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you guys think about VirtKick? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you guys think about VirtKick?

Comments

• k0nslk0nsl Member

That's not true. I can clone it perfectly fine.

andreamada said: git clone https://github.com/virtkick/virtkick-starter.git

You can't clone it because of "Page not found".

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@AlexBarakov said:
    You did not understand me. The thing which was under 'virtkick' was an opensource panel as well. I think it was russian (by memory).

Yep, I remember that. They were simply using the other panel to handle actual node work that way they could roll out a pretty frontend a lot faster.

@licensecart - Again, that isn't the whole story. It isn't like they came to market with it being free, had a bunch of people on it, then closed up shop just to reopen it as a paid solution. They ran a kickstarter ( https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/virtkick-take-cloud-back#/ ) and as you can see, they got a piss poor $3700 in 2 months of running it.

While the goal says $57,000, to get the panel going with just OpenVZ and such was like $25k or so.

Providers had a chance, they simply didn't have the funding to throw at it, felt "someone else will do it", or for some ungodly reason think SolusVM is a solid product.

They made good on the product since they did get VC and I'm assuming the product went SAAS.

Francisco

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran
    edited March 2016

@AlexBarakov said:
    You did not understand me. The thing which was under 'virtkick' was an opensource panel as well. I think it was russian (by memory).

@Francisco said:

It was based on this - https://github.com/retspen/webvirtmgr

As mentioned here

Another interesting quote...

@Nowaker said:
    Well, we're already unique in terms of UI and will be unique in terms of being the only one open source panel usable by VPS providers. :)

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • wozmirwozmir Member
    edited March 2016

Hey - Mirek from Virtkick here.

Saw this discussion and decided to chime in - firstly, thanks for all your feedback. We appreciate this. We did change a lot in the past - moving away from open source and self-hosted, changing to SaaS and the pricing modifications. We did all of this to keep Virtkick alive and kicking - as some of you mentioned, you cannot build a panel on a shoestring.

We could've communicated better - and that's why I decided to join the topic and the forum. To talk and listen, so we can consider adding new features to or modifying how Virtkick works.

Sounds like many people aren't happy with our pricing and we're thinking about changing it. For example, we were thinking about lowering the rev share % and increasing the flat fee - or the opposite. What do you guys think?

• @wozmir said:
    Hey - Mirek from Virtkick here.

Saw this discussion and decided to chime in - firstly, thanks for all your feedback. We appreciate this. We did change a lot in the past - moving away from open source and self-hosted, changing to SaaS and the pricing modifications. We did all of this to keep Virtkick alive and kicking - as some of you mentioned, you cannot build a panel on a shoestring.

We could've communicated better - and that's why I decided to join the topic and the forum. To talk and listen, so we can consider adding new features to or modifying how Virtkick works.

Sounds like many people aren't happy with our pricing and we're thinking about changing it. For example, we were thinking about lowering the rev share % and increasing the flat fee - or the opposite. What do you guys think?

IMHO based on what I have read so far, do rev % or monthly fee, but not both. I don't get why both is required.

Thanked by 1wozmir
  • @wozmir,
    you must be a rich man with that pricing model

• Layer03Layer03 Member, Host Rep

@pcfreak30 said:
    IMHO based on what I have read so far, do rev % or monthly fee, but not both. I don't get why both is required.

I agree with this or let the clients choose either monty or rev %.

• @Jazzy8999 well, I'd love to be rich. Not there yet... yet ;) What do you pay for your panel, if you have one?

• I'm not a provider, but 15% share looks too much if you want to provide budget server/vps.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Just signed up, will post updates as they come.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Payment processors typically take like what 2.9% + $0.30? Providers are willing to pay that. You could do another 3% revenue share if you really want to do a percentage. That said, most other panels (Virtualizor, SolusVM) charge per slave node - why not do that as well?

• WickedWicked Member

Looks stunning but it seems like the people behind this is just in it for the money(based on @wozmir's answer).

But they changed to 15% revenue or a fixed monthly price which is good.

Anybody want to give it a go while I'm waiting for payment processing?

edited May 2016

@pbgben said:
    Anybody want to give it a go while I'm waiting for payment processing?

They are looking into the OVH custom Kernel issue for me.

• The 15% sounds like a lot of money. Does someone know if it's including all payment processing fees? Or can you use your individual gateway? Wondering because I read on the page that they will send you one invoice per week.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited May 2016

BeardyUnixGuy said: More competition for SolusVM and Virtualizer can never be a bad thing. Plus, who knows, maybe at a later stage VirtKick will make enough profit to consider open sourcing later revisions of their panel and associated components.

We are building an alternative to SolusVM (Minified Edition - DigitalOcean like) & OnApp/Flexiant (Complete Edition - AWS/Azure like) which are both affordable and offer vast amounts of features.

If anyone is interested you can find us at http://det.io

Safehousecloud said: The 15% sounds like a lot of money. Does someone know if it's including all payment processing fees? Or can you use your individual gateway? Wondering because I read on the page that they will send you one invoice per week.

Yes as I'm aware it does include billing fees & chargeback fees.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • why is the OP banned ? @jarland ?

• srvrprosrvrpro Member

Looks like they changed the pricing and are going to either take $19 or 15% revenue, whichever is greater.

• @Junkless said:
    why is the OP banned ? @jarland ?

For encouraging spam ops.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1671011

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@DETio said:

BeardyUnixGuy said: More competition for SolusVM and Virtualizer can never be a bad thing. Plus, who knows, maybe at a later stage VirtKick will make enough profit to consider open sourcing later revisions of their panel and associated components.

We are building an alternative to SolusVM (Minified Edition - DigitalOcean like) & OnApp/Flexiant (Complete Edition - AWS/Azure like) which are both affordable and offer vast amounts of features.

If anyone is interested you can find us at http://det.io

Safehousecloud said: The 15% sounds like a lot of money. Does someone know if it's including all payment processing fees? Or can you use your individual gateway? Wondering because I read on the page that they will send you one invoice per week.

Yes as I'm aware it does include billing fees & chargeback fees.

Haven't had time for our demo yet, but I have been following your project :)

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@theroyalstudent said:

@Junkless said:
    why is the OP banned ? @jarland ?

For encouraging spam ops.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1671011

Thanks. I, for a second, thought kids and knobheads were getting banned in a ramp-up towards the great summer-host festival of 2016.

• wozmirwozmir Member

We've changed the pricing according to user feedback and are actually giving out a promo to early adopters, with no revenue share at all - it's $19/mo (1 node included) or $49/mo (3 nodes included) and $10 per extra node.

We've decided to extend the offer to LET people, since you've also used and tested Virtkick before - just go to onboarding.virtkick.com and ping me at mirek (at) virtkick.com that you're from LET :)

@wozmir said:
    We've changed the pricing according to user feedback and are actually giving out a promo to early adopters, with no revenue share at all - it's $19/mo (1 node included) or $49/mo (3 nodes included) and $10 per extra node.

We've decided to extend the offer to LET people, since you've also used and tested Virtkick before - just go to onboarding.virtkick.com and ping me at mirek (at) virtkick.com that you're from LET :)

Willing to try if you reduce it further or include more nodes :p

• wozmirwozmir Member

The $19 or $49 revenue share plan has unlimited nodes and goes up as you grow - you actually start paying more for the $19 plan once you hit... $130 ;) And it's only .50c then. Maybe you could use that? I remember you from IRC btw!

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

Damn ! I was going to order for $49/m package , and thought i can add unlimited nodes. But no only 3node ??? Seems like better stay with my current whmcs . But i would still try virtkick, if each node license is removed

• The thing which was under 'virtkick 'You did not understand me.

So far, Virtkick have been very helpful, I dont think the pricing is too bad.

edited May 2016

@wozmir said:
    The $19 or $49 revenue share plan has unlimited nodes and goes up as you grow - you actually start paying more for the $19 plan once you hit... $130 ;) And it's only .50c then. Maybe you could use that? I remember you from IRC btw!

Revenue sharing wont work for the majority VPS providers, trust me :p.
    Correct, we exchanged a few emails and I have been a long-time virtkick supporter!

Also, how often is Virtkick updated nowadays? Any page where we can see the development, new features and such? Can we request new features to be added?

Thanked by 1pbgben

Just finished setting up a host with OVH, Kernel is a pain.

@pbgben said:
    Just finished setting up a host with OVH, Kernel is a pain.

PM me a demo? :p