Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guage of interest - Hosted Synology NAS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Guage of interest - Hosted Synology NAS

2»

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jeromeza said:
    nashosting - Pretty scummy move hijacking another providers thread.

In all fairness I linked to them here.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

That's fine, it's always good to have some competition.

• ATHKATHK Member

@jarland said:
    In all fairness I linked to them here.

They could've been a bit more helpful though :) instead of trying to flog their product...

@ATHK said:

Looks like its against rules too :/ Ouch

• ATHKATHK Member

@pbgben said:
    Looks like its against rules too :/ Ouch

They could have easily said, Hey guys! thanks for suggesting us, you should be able to fit X amount of Synology boxes in a cabinet, we do offer colo so hit us up.

But no, they signed up just to I guess .. post an offer of sorts.

Oh well, I hope you continue with this anyway it sounds interesting.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2016

ATHK said: post an offer of sorts

That setup fee, though. Would never pay a setup fee of $50 (in addition to first month's cost) to a company I had never tested. I get the point for it, but they won't get any sales here because of it. I pay OVH setup fees because I already know what quality of service I'm getting.

Thanked by 1pbgben

Yeh, I'm trying my best to keep to the LET price point.

• timnboystimnboys Member
    edited March 2016

redacted(I will just ask via pm.)

• NASHostingNASHosting Member
    edited March 2016

I apologies if it appears like I have Hijacked this thread this wasn't my intention, and after reading some of these comments I accept that I should have / could have gone about it in a better manner, and I apologise for this! We just wanted to make people aware that we are out there!

@jarland Referring to the $50 set-up fee this is needed and allows us to lower the overall monthly costs! As these systems are 100% private ( 1 system per person ) unfortunately the price that we offer is the lowest that we can go to cover the running costs of the systems! All of our systems are also hosted in Tier 3 Data centres to ensure the best security and connected to multihomed network with over 120Gbps capacity.

@pdgben From our experience unless you are looking to grant access to multiple users per a system keeping it in the LET price point is very difficult.

@ATHK We are more than happy to share our experiences with the community such as how many systems per rack etc..

I would also like to add if anyone from LowEndTalk would be interested in a trial system we are more than happy to provide access with no obligation to proceed any further.

Again I apologise for my approach to this post and do appreciate that we got mentioned earlier on, and if anyone has any further questions I will be more than happy to answer.

Thanked by 3pbgben ATHK deadbeef
  • NASHosting said: would be interested in a trial system

sounds nice.

Thanked by 1NASHosting
  • ez money for colocrossing

Haha looks like I'll put my plans on the back burner for a while. Got some electronics work with more potential.

• pbgben said: Awesome, I wonder how many of the 2/4 bay consumer units I could fit in a cabinet.

You can fit four 2-bay units side by side comfortably in 4 U:

The 4-bay units are slightly taller than 2-bay units. I didn't like how tight they were in the rack without using another U. You can fit them two wide in a rack with space for one 2 drive unit as long as you put the 2 drive unit to the left of the 4 drive units. The 4 drive units intake air from the front, where as the 2 drive units intake from the sides (technically both sides, but the right side is blocked by the motherboard, so not a big deal).

All that being said, the consumer units can be picked up for $180 new or $100 used on eBay, versus $500+ for a new 1U rack unit that you most likely won't be able to find used. So if you've got the space to be less dense, then the consumer units would make more sense.

Thanked by 3ATHK trewq pbgben
  • Well, even if I liked the service offering of NAShosting have been offering, I am far away from being a fan of such advertising tactics. silently removing from 'to-try' provider list

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • NomadNomad Member
    edited March 2016

I recently got meself a DS215 + 2x3TB Seagate NAS drives while French websites was on winter sale.

Feature wise, it's really nice. I have installed SickRage and CoachPotato in it and I really like having all my stuff organized and getting all my dramas without touching a finger. But the system does hiccup under heavy load.

That being said, I don't think having it in a DC is the right way. We can skip the fancy UI and have it all on a VPS just as well, what's the point in paying $$ just for that? It lacks the hardware and you can get a much powerful dedi for cheaper.

As for price, well... That's a tad too much IMO.