Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guage of interest - Hosted Synology NAS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Guage of interest - Hosted Synology NAS

pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
edited March 2016 in General

Would you or anyone you know actually need or use a service that hosts an OEM Synology nas on a 100Mbit 10TB connection.

The DSM Software is extremely easy to use and is packed full of features.

I figure I can offer the 4 disk 1RU units with two 2TB NAS Disks for 50$ month with a 10TB 100Mbit connection.

P.S. I'm aware of XPEnology

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2016

Yep. Interested :)

Looks like competition may already exist: https://nas-hosting.net

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Awesome, I wonder how many of the 2/4 bay consumer units I could fit in a cabinet.

• ATHKATHK Member

@pbgben bring it to Australia then I'll be happy. :)

• @ATHK said:
    pbgben bring it to Australia then I'll be happy. :)

A lot of people will be happy. Everything in Australia is damn expensive!

@ATHK said:
    pbgben bring it to Australia then I'll be happy. :)
    @iClickAndHost said:

I'd love to off this in Australia, but the cost is out of this world... LET world anyway. 110usd month for a single U and 1000gb bandwidth is crazy.

• @pbgben said:
    Tell me about it. We have a few racks in SISGroup, Sydney. Very expensive!

• cassacassa Member

I'm wondering if PXEnology works on a dedibox

I've only booted from usb and esxi so unsure about dedibox. Let us know if it's good.

• ATHKATHK Member

Got any space for me? Only need something small :)

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Which 4 disk 1RU unit are you using out of interest? I have looked at this type of setup in Australia. It's totally possible just the traffic allowances would be lower to reflect the costs here. Since these setups are typically very low power compared to normal servers they are actually quite OK to host in Australia since space is not really expensive; just the power and data is...

@pbggen if paying 110 USD for that you are paying too much in any case. :-)

• What's the upgrade process like in XPEnology thesedays?

• If it was rent-to-buy or if you offered the option to buy a physical copy of the data, maybe.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Always love to see new options.

Some questions:

1. How reliable are Synology for 24x7 datacenter use? For streaming one movie to my TV 2-3 nights a week and taking my TimeMachine backups, Synology is great, but of course they're not NetApp by any means.

2. If one breaks, do you have a spare? Because you can only realistically go with another Synology.

3. Are you just offering "you get the entire Synology" or are you saying people can buy by the gigabyte? Not sure how far the Synology CPU will scale.

4. Have you considered FreeNAS instead? With that you have complete hardware freedom.

edited March 2016

@Oliver said:
    Which 4 disk 1RU unit are you using out of interest? I have looked at this type of setup in Australia. It's totally possible just the traffic allowances would be lower to reflect the costs here. Since these setups are typically very low power compared to normal servers they are actually quite OK to host in Australia since space is not really expensive; just the power and data is...

pbggen if paying 110 USD for that you are paying too much in any case. :-)

Here's a link to an RS815RP+ which is the likely model to use. Options will include upto 4*8TB disks. The data is the issue I believe, with this being a data storage solution. Perhaps I could provide national and international bw separate.

http://www.computeralliance.com.au/4-bay-synology-rs815rp-scalable-rackstation-gigabit-nas-unit

@dragon2611 said:
    What's the upgrade process like in XPEnology thesedays?

I'm not sure, ID guess it's pretty stable. So long as you use their upgrade images and follow the instructions.

@EkaatyLinux said:
    If it was rent-to-buy or if you offered the option to buy a physical copy of the data, maybe.

Rent-to-own is an option to consider. I have thought about allowing a send your own disks and also a mail out disk kind of thing. Perhaps a USB HDD

@raindog308 said:
    Always love to see new options.

Some questions:

1. How reliable are Synology for 24x7 datacenter use? For streaming one movie to my TV 2-3 nights a week and taking my TimeMachine backups, Synology is great, but of course they're not NetApp by any means.

2. If one breaks, do you have a spare? Because you can only realistically go with another Synology.

3. Are you just offering "you get the entire Synology" or are you saying people can buy by the gigabyte? Not sure how far the Synology CPU will scale.

4. Have you considered FreeNAS instead? With that you have complete hardware freedom.

1. In my experience that have been very dependable, using them as on-site mirrored backup.

2. Yes, by using the same base unit, spares will be available and kept in the same DC.

3. I'm not sure it's worth trying to manage multiple customers per nas, so it will be dedicated hardware for each and everyone.

4. Freenas is good, but I chose synology for its user friendly software, for people that know how to use freenas that are better off going with a cheap dedi from one of the larger hosts.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • Rent-to-own would be my preference though, love Synology products and their DSM. What location do you have in mind and what model are you thinking of?

• Synology NAS Colo would be good too. Or you supply the NAS and the customer supplies the drives.

• Rent to own makes sense to me, but I hadn't even thought about hosted nas before seeing the thread, so my opinion does count much :)

https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/6.0beta/virtualization

Virtual DSM - Looks like multi-tenanted NAS is a thing.

• Synlogy are very solid, we run clusters of their larger 2U units for our template / backup storage - they just 'go'

Thanked by 1pbgben
  • I run xpenology on a Kimsufi KS-1 and its the best 5 euros a month i have ever spent. I use it as a seedbox that syncs directly to google drive.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@kazuken said:
    I run xpenology on a Kimsufi KS-1 and its the best 5 euros a month i have ever spent. I use it as a seedbox that syncs directly to google drive.

Mildly interested in how you accomplished that :)

Thanked by 3pbgben deadbeef cassa
  • @jarland said:
    Mildly interested in how you accomplished that :)

I took joodle's idea (creating a image of windows and using dd to write it to the disk) and did the same for xpenology. The biggest difference from a real xpenology installation is the usb key having the bootloader.

I used this tutorial for help: http://cyanlabs.net/Thread-Xpenology-RS3411RPxs-extlinux-syslinux-boot-loader-dissimilar-hardware?highlight=syslinux

After creating a VM with the bootloader on the single disk (i created a 450GB drive just to be safe), i used dd and gzip to duplicate the disk. then booted into kimsufi recovery and wget | gzip | dd to the /dev/sda of kimsufi. rebooted it worked on first try.

the biggest problem is updating. I am sure there could be a way through kimsufi recovery but i'd rather have a working installation for now. when xpenology 6.0 comes out, ill upload an image for the community here.

• @kazuken said:
    the biggest problem is updating. I am sure there could be a way through kimsufi recovery but i'd rather have a working installation for now. when xpenology 6.0 comes out, ill upload an image for the community here.

Excellent will try this.

Thanks

• @kazuken said:

This is really awesome, will definitely try that. I have now XPEnology running under Proxmox with Online.net dedi, what a pain it was to set it up.

• @heachhog said:
    This is really awesome, will definitely try that. I have now XPEnology running under Proxmox with Online.net dedi, what a pain it was to set it up.

Using the Via Nano CPU? does it work with KVM / proxmox? was thinking of 'upgrading' to a online.net for that (a lot less hassle than this dd method).

• Over at NAS Hosting we offer exactly what people are looking for in this post, all on a monthly basis with the ability to cancel at any time. If you are looking to colocate your own Synology NAS, please feel free to contact us we will be more than happy to help with this.

• jeromezajeromeza Member
    edited March 2016

@nashosting - Pretty scummy move hijacking another providers thread.