Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mail server - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mail server

Comments

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

@gubbyte said: 1&1 2.0

Oh really? :/ Any other recommendations on providers then?

• Rackspace looks to be $2/per account per month. See better/different price?

@pubcrawler said: Rackspace looks to be $2/per account per month. See better/different price?

Yeah, it's just under $2/account/mo. I've heard good/bad things about Rackspace but they don't seem to bad? But if they are "1&1 2.0" then I probably won't want to go with them... ;)

• They were 1&1 2.0 to me, anyway. Can't say the same for many others.

• @dominicl said: Yeah, it's just under $2/account/mo. I've heard good/bad things about Rackspace but they don't seem to bad? But if they are "1&1 2.0" then I probably won't want to go with them... ;)

Ask @Spencer, I think he uses Rackspace mail.

@Patrick said: Ask @Spencer, I think he uses Rackspace mail.

Will do, ty :)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

Nevermind, found it.

• edited February 2013

I use Google Apps myself, and it works great; e-mails are next-to-instantly imported into WHMCS.

More specifically, Google Apps is used for all incoming mail and then forwards the departmental e-mail to the WHMCS server; which is, in turn, instantly piped into the WHMCS database as it's received. All outgoing e-mail from the WHMCS server is routed through AWS SES.

It works great and I've had no issues with the setup. It may be $5/mth/user, but you can create an unlimited number of e-mail addresses within that one user though. Filters are your friend. ;)

The service is nice. The web GUI and Android app are lacking though.

• CrabCrab Member
    edited February 2013
    • get 2 LEBs from reliable companies
    • install Postfix+Postgrey+dkimproxy+Dovecot+RoundCube on both
    • keep them sync with for example rsync
    • get $59.95/yr DNS service from Dns Made Easy and use their failover feature in case of your primary mail server fails

Done deal :)

• It's a mail server. If you have two in the same configuration you don't need Dns failover

• It would be mostly for convenience. People could always go to mail.foobar.com without worrying which one of the nodes is up today :)

@Crab, the problem with that is if you setup rsync from the primary to the secondary it will overwrite the new data on the secondary when the primary comes back online.

Also, DNSMadeEasy isn't required as @bdtech said, just set one MX record with a lower priority than the other.

• @KuJoe said: Also, DNSMadeEasy isn't required as @bdtech said, just set one MX record with a lower priority than the other.

True for the incoming mail, but how about all the users who have mail.foobar.com set up in their mail clients? When it goes down you have to reconfigure your client in order to go to the other node which is up.

@KuJoe said: the problem with that is if you setup rsync from the primary to the secondary it will overwrite the new data on the secondary when the primary comes back online.

That is correct, you have to put some additional logic to your syncing script so it wouldn't override anything.

@Crab I see what you're saying. I would think round robin DNS with a low enough TTL would be enough for something like that.

• If security and delays are not an issue, how about a backup MX service?

• emreemre Member, LIR
    edited February 2013

install Postfix+Postgrey+dkimproxy+Dovecot+RoundCube on both

@crab reliable how to link please ...
    not howtoforge -- takes too much time

• @emre said: how to link

@emre said: not howtoforge -- takes too much time

Contradictory

I used this http://www.exratione.com/2012/05/a-mailserver-on-ubuntu-1204-postfix-dovecot-mysql/

And yes, it took too much time
    But if are looking for a two clicks thing, do what the people said, install a panel, enjoy

• CrabCrab Member
    edited February 2013

It would be pretty boring just to get everything done through a panel. It is not really that difficult and you'd learn a lot during the process.

You'd get pretty much everything done using a tutorial like the one @yomero provided. There was also a great multipart tutorial for CentOS available, but for some reason I don't find it anymore from Google at this hour :(

• emreemre Member, LIR

@yomero thank you I am looking for something like that.
    Howtoforge uses courier imapd which I don't like...

• @emre said: Howtoforge uses courier imapd which I don't like...

I used it years ago, but then I switched to Dovecot and haven't looked back.

• whats wring with just installing kloxo and using that as a mail server?

• Nothing I guess if you want to do everything through a panel :)

• @Crab said: Nothing I guess if you want to do everything through a panel :)

but kloxo is so easy to use and is really light on resources if you use the host in the box template

• emreemre Member, LIR

@earl kloxo is using qmail, If I wanted qmail I will just go and install it. Btw qmail has it's own issues. Tons and tons of patches to work as I wanted. And also qmail has no abilty to throttle mail sending limits per domain/per user / per day etc. You need another third party stuff for that.
    Btw I already have an qmail server working for the last 5 years or so without rebooting etc.
    It just works with around 50 domains and 500 users on it.
    But it's not the way. Opensource world is full of alternatives.
    What I need is - postfix + dovecot + mysql + roundcube + quota + postfix admin
    I can use Iredmail directly as it is closer to what I want. But iredmail have something called "pro edition" which also makes me feel bad. I can gladly pay for opensource software support. but I don't like to use something fully opensource and an addon called "pro" with money. It feels wrong to me.
    Anyway
    For me the perfect server will be just as I said postfix + dovecot + mysql + roundcube + quota + postfix admin I gather tons of how to's all around the internet which none of it fits what I have in my mind.
    When I have time I will make my own version of How to after installing the whole system just the way I liked it to be.

@emre said: When I have time I will make my own version of How to after installing the whole system just the way I liked it to be.

I'd be willing to provide a free 128MB VPS for 6 months for you or anybody who would like to do something like this for the LET community. A nice, easy to follow tutorial.

I'll provide 2 128MB VPSs (6 months each) if somebody wants to go to the next level and build a redundant setup and provide a similar tutorial for it.

If @mikho will allow it, I would like to see these tutorials posted on LowEndGuide.com.

• emreemre Member, LIR

@KuJoe thanks for the free offer. But I already operate my own network in 2 different datacenters. Also a Ripe LIR for the last 6 years or so. But one more LEB does not sounds bad. It's always pleasure to have more LEB's.

• Way to support the community @KuJoe.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@KuJoe
    That would be nice :)
    @emre
    If you have notes on how you set things up so far I can help on organize them into a tutorial, the only 'demand' I have is that the ending result is posted on www.lowendguide.com