Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Okay, I have watched enough Delimiter drama...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looks like they have better CPU and network than Dacentec, but hiding some details on their company.. at lease I can't find a looking glass on their website

Before I decide to give them a try, can anyone show me the disk IO speed on 2x 500GB RAID0?

And a testing IP please?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2016

david_W said: can anyone show me the disk IO speed on 2x 500GB RAID0

It's dedicated to you so not like there's going to be any noisy neighbors. How much I/O are you expecting to be pushing on this volatile storage?

• @jarland said:
    It's dedicated to you so not like there's going to be any noisy neighbors. How much I/O are you expecting to be pushing on this volatile storage?

Somewhere around 150MB/s ~ 200MB/s?

• They're pretty open about delimiter but silent about their parent company. Yomura. But it's a well known practice for many companies.

Parent brand doesn't show any presence on their child brands. Most cases b2b only parent company while b2c children company.

However they provide a great service for the price tag.

Thanked by 2mike0000 netomx
  • @sdglhm said:
    They're pretty open about delimiter but silent about their parent company. Yomura. But it's a well known practice for many companies.

Parent brand doesn't show any presence on their child brands. Most cases b2b only parent company while b2c children company.

However they provide a great service for the price tag.

Agreed with the price tag, you can't have everything with LEB budget..

No need to get into the detail, just compare the information available on these sites, just saying.... don't want to attract fire from the "D-gang"
    https://www.delimiter.com/about/
    https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/facilities.php
    https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/our-facility/

• Yomura = Delimiter.

Its like trying to claim Alphabet is the parent company of Google.. You can try to argue it all you want but its the same damn company.

Thanked by 1badpatrick
  • @Jonchun said:
    Yomura = Delimiter.

Its like trying to claim Alphabet is the parent company of Google.. You can try to argue it all you want but its the same damn company.

Wasn't saying they are hiding the info for their mother company. Just can't get any details about their data center and facility easier..

• david_W said: Before I decide to give them a try, can anyone show me the disk IO speed on 2x 500GB RAID0?

I've got one of the Delimiter servers with 2x 500GB drives. I've got them setup as 2 separate drives (no raid). They are 2.5" 5400rpm drives.

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 11.5931 s, 92.6 MB/s

--- / (ext4 /dev/sda1) ioping statistics ---
    10 requests completed in 9.0 s, 6.1 k iops, 23.9 MiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 145 us / 163 us / 172 us / 7 us

Thanked by 1david_W
  • @david_w

There are a few people here who hate delimiter for one reason or another.

Personally with my slot hosting things have worked well, had some bumps and a good chunk of downtime recently. Otherwise, they work great.

Thanked by 2david_W mike0000
  • @david said:

Thanks for the info, but but 5400rpm sounds a bit slow...
    May be I better get the SSD version...

• @david_W said:

If you're looking for better I/O then definitely go with the SSD model.

• @mikeyur: Hi Mike, can you throw me a test IP?

• @david_W said:
    mikeyur: Hi Mike, can you throw me a test IP?

PM sent.

• @mikeyur said:

Got it, thanks!

• i can confir , good services and @MarkTurner is a verry helpfull guy.

Thanked by 2mike0000 netomx
  • @david_W said:

Have a box kicking around with an SSD:

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 181 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 180 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 180 MB/s
    Average I/O : 180.333 MB/s
  • @mikeyur said:
    Average I/O : 180.333 MB/s

Nice, IO meet my requirement. However I have ~90G of data hanging around so need to find a way to git rid of some.

Can you estimate how fast 2x500G RAID0 can go by chance?

• @david_W said:
    Can you estimate how fast 2x500G RAID0 can go by chance?

Probably 80-90% of typical for those drives, so.. 150MB/s ish on a standard dd test with 64k blocks. It really depends what you're planning to do though, block size, how much read action is happening with the writes, etc. Nothing's going to beat the SSD IOPS-wise, if you're looking for steady performance then I'd say go with the SSD.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@david_W said:
    Somewhere around 150MB/s ~ 200MB/s?

That's too much for 2.5" 5400 RPM Drives. I get 143 MBPS with 7200 RPM 64MB Cache Drives at Hetzner.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2016

@david_W said:

@david_W said:

Before I decide to give them a try, can anyone show me the disk IO speed on 2x 500GB RAID0?

Ha! The full beauty of LET logic. This is truly a wonderful place...

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    That's too much for 2.5" 5400 RPM Drives. I get 143 MBPS with 7200 RPM 64MB Cache Drives at Hetzner.

So 2x500G 5400rpm SATA in RAID0 with 150MB/s sequential read/write still expecting too much?

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

You're not expecting too much. The fact is that I also expected like this earlier but Practically My Expectatiom got changed because I saw numerous speed change for HDD's Buffer Size & Rotation Speed Change. @david_w

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    You're not expecting too much. The fact is that I also expected like this earlier but Practically My Expectatiom got changed because I saw numerous speed change for HDD's Buffer Size & Rotation Speed Change. david_w

what?

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    You're not expecting too much. The fact is that I also expected like this earlier but Practically My Expectatiom got changed because I saw numerous speed change for HDD's Buffer Size & Rotation Speed Change. david_w

Thanks for pointing out all other variables may effected rotating disk speed. I don't have much experience on SATA raid in the server environment.

I am also hoping those NVMe SSD will last long enough to fit in LET budget one day, just have chance to test one and it gave me 800MB/s shocking result.. xD

• Some times LET logic works pretty good @Amitz. I am posting again to review most of the Delimiter drama.

Received my very first rack mounted server yesterday, right within the 3 day delivery time frame.

Order support was meh, but @mikeyur LET support desk has been very helpful.

Tech support is awesome and efficient, got issue with one of the memory sticks. Submitted a ticket with details, Brian said they will get it replaced asap without any further question. Within 24Hrs the issue has been resolved and RAM has been bumped up from 16G to 24G!

In additional to extra RAM, the almost brand new Evo 850 also surprised me. Going to keep it unless there will be another event xD

--- LET standard report lite ---

SMART info

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
    5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 100 100 010 Pre-fail Always - 0
    9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 099 099 000 Old_age Always - 155
    12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 099 099 000 Old_age Always - 23

Not sure what was going on with id3.net and Softlayer Washington.

System Info

Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5420 @ 2.50GHz
    CPU Cores : 8
    Frequency : 2499.739 MHz
    Memory : 24109 MB
    Swap : MB
    Uptime : 6:34,

Arch : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel : 4.4.4-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64
    Hostname : *****

Speedtest (IPv4 only)

Your public IPv4 is *************

Location Provider Speed
    CDN Cachefly 98.8MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US Coloat
    Dallas, TX, US Softlayer 69.3MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US Softlayer 27.3MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US Softlayer 29.5MB/s
    Washington, DC, US Softlayer 843KB/s

Tokyo, Japan Linode 14.3MB/s
    Singapore Softlayer 8.31MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands id3.net 350KB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands Leaseweb 23.8MB/s

Disk Speed

I/O (1st run) : 192 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run) : 185 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run) : 187 MB/s
    Average I/O : 188 MB/s

• david_W said: Order support was meh, but @mikeyur LET support desk has been very helpful.

Brian gave you Tuesday timeframe, but it took until Wednesday to get the SSD units up.

david_W said: Received my very first rack mounted server yesterday, right within the 3 day delivery time frame.

We sold out of pre-racked SSD units over the weekend so it stretched the delivery time out while we got more up.

david_W said: Tech support is awesome and efficient, got issue with one of the memory sticks. Submitted a ticket with details, Brian said they will get it replaced asap without any further question. Within 24Hrs the issue has been resolved and RAM has been bumped up from 16G to 24G!

Was a correctable error it seems, so not a huge rush to replace, but obviously we don't want to give you sub-par ram. Glad it got fixed :)

Enjoy the server!

Thanked by 1david_W
  • david_W said: In additional to extra RAM, the almost brand new Evo 850 also surprised me.

48 of those 155 hours were the system burn in

Thanked by 1david_W
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Still really confused about every use of the word "drama" in this thread.

OP did not deliver.

• @jarland said:
    Still really confused about every use of the word "drama" in this thread.

OP did not deliver.

Drama was referring to all the discussion/stories related to Delimiter on LET and WHT I ever read through.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2016

@david_W said:

Disk Speed

I/O (1st run) : 192 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run) : 185 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run) : 187 MB/s
    Average I/O : 188 MB/s

Another nice SSD wasted on SATA2, bummer :'(