Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mandrill soon becoming a paid add-on of MailChimp )-: - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mandrill soon becoming a paid add-on of MailChimp )-:

Comments

• kaflokaflo Member
    edited February 2016

signed up for Mailgun. Very responsive support staff.

Thanks for the recommendation.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited February 2016

@raindog308 said: is it just me or is that email have a very arrogant tone?

I'd call it being on the defensive, which usually comes off as arrogant. They are fu@*!ing a lot of their users, including paying ones, and they know it. No apology whatsoever. No attempt at spinning this (read: no explanation for this sudden change). Somebody calculated they can do without the deadbeats and low end market and simply sent a message to that effect. It's a little sad, really, seeing all that goodwill they have built over the years, flushed down the toilet like that. Weird!

Thanked by 1kingpin
  • Been using Sendy with Amazon's SES, and it's been very solid (though I'm not sending out so many emails at this point, just small campaigns once in a while).

• Just to note that Mailgun had a failure and missing all e-mails in queue (good things is that they are pretty open about it and giving everyone credits), but personally my trust with them has not been up to 100%, those transaction e-mails has just too important to fail.

Thanked by 1NodePing
  • n0myn0my Member
    edited February 2016

Ive signed up with sendgrid... still havent got past the verification bit. Any other good for a small forum with free plan?

• GulfGulf Member
    edited February 2016

@godong said:
    Just to note that Mailgun had a failure and missing all e-mails in queue (good things is that they are pretty open about it and giving everyone credits), but personally my trust with them has not been up to 100%, those transaction e-mails has just too important to fail.

I'm sending millions of emails with SES, and they are also not perfect.
    From time to time, some ISPs (even gmail) blacklist their servers, and all emails go to the spam. Also I have a system that track spam alerts (required by AWS), dead emails and sometimes it is very problematic to recover from such failures, I've developed an 'amnesty' script, that tries to remove such emails from blacklist.

Also, it is very slow and maybe expensive with attachments.

• Damm- perhaps the free to paid conversion ratio wasn't high enough. I sort of expected this... It's just a cost for them to be offering 10,000 emails/ mo free when that's all most sites need. I've been using SendGrid, which is a bit cheaper https://sendgrid.com/pricing. All my emails are being delivered = perfection. =)

• I don't mind them removing the free tier (which I used myself for small hobby projects), but my work also uses Mandrill - the paid variant - and those costs will skyrocket with this change. We're looking at 6-10x the current costs when we switch to Mailchimp.

I'm currently looking at ElasticEmail (http://elasticemail.com/), which seems inexpensive and offers things like event webhooks and inbound email (without paying a premium price like with Sendgrid), but unfortunately it's not as feature rich or configurable as Mandrill.
    Does anyone have experience with ElasticEmail?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Sadly goodwill does not put food on the table, shame they did not tier it more but tbh for $20 p/month it's well worth it for me.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @isaacl said:
    Been using Sendy with Amazon's SES, and it's been very solid (though I'm not sending out so many emails at this point, just small campaigns once in a while).

At least two major mail providers in Germany block amazon SES on a regular basis.
    I wouldn't call amazon SES reliable.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • GulfGulf Member
    edited February 2016

@Aleksio said:
    Does anyone have experience with ElasticEmail?

The web design looks 'bootstrap'. Is it a big company? I would not go with provider without 24/7 team monitoring spam and abuses, like SES does.

• Yeah, the interface is pretty basic, and I just noticed that their API is hosted on OVH servers, which I personally don't see as a positive sign.
    I read pretty often though that SES randomly gets marked as spam though, so can't have that either. Mandrill was basically the best of both worlds, it's quite the gap they're leaving behind.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • But SES team resolves this issues very fast.

• Pepipost is 25000 emails per month.

Thanked by 2kaflo sachin
  • mailerlite

Mate of mine is on a paid plan, but there also seems to be a free tier. Has anybody used it?

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

I just topped up my account a $100, already have mailgun implemented as a backup for mandrill. Guess I'll have mailgun as primary and mandrill as backup now.

• So, looks like this business model is unprofitable. They failed to compete with Amazon or SendGrid (promoted by Google and M$).

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited February 2016

Looking at sendgrid (I had a free account already) and Mailgun I think my preference is Mailgun as If I did ever go over the free messages it would only be by a tiny amount and it look like Mailgun would just charge for those messages, where as Sendgrid I'd have to pay for messages I wasn't using.

Thanked by 2aglodek Rolter
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited February 2016

@AnthonySmith said: Sadly goodwill does not put food on the table, shame they did not tier it more but tbh for $20 p/month it's well worth it for me.

Actually, goodwill is often key to putting food on the table (read: expanding customer base and growing a business). This is assuming you are able to afford it (i.e. sustain the freebies), which dependends on your business model. Selling new companies at well over US$ 1000 a pop, we can afford lots of goodwill. Can't imagine doing anything close to that, running a VPS or email hosting business. Hence, not surprised by Mandrill's forced "upgrade", just sorry to see so much existing goodwill flushed down the toilet so abruptly, is all.

• rikiy_robertsrikiy_roberts Member
    edited March 2016

spam snip

Thanked by 1sachin
  • edited February 2016

These signifiant Mandrill Policy Changes as of yesterday (Feb. 24, 2016) will now require a paid Mailchimp account in order to use the Mandrill email transactional service. There is chaos stirring on the internet regarding this very bold decision by Mandrill yesterday. Additionally, they gave everyone a very short notice to get moved to another provider before your account will be terminated for non-compliance.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited February 2016

@UpshotMediaGroup said: (…) Additionally, they gave everyone a very short notice to get moved to another provider before your account will be terminated for non-compliance.

I wouldn't call 2 months' notice, almost to the day, very short notice ;)

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • DylanDylan Member
    edited February 2016

aglodek said: No attempt at spinning this (read: no explanation for this sudden change).

MailChimp's CEO posted a longer letter on the MailChimp blog. The gist I got is that the focus on general transactional email become a distraction from their core business.

As someone personally affected by this change I'm not at all thrilled by it, but I can respect when a company says "you know what, this just isn't what we wanted to be." There's a great quote their CEO used in his blog post: "culture eats strategy for breakfast."

Thanked by 2aglodek Rolter
  • Surprised there's no one from the Wable thread complaining about "bait and switch" here.

Thanked by 2ryanarp netomx
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

jh said: Smtp2go is good

I didn't know them and did take a look... they are using very dubious tactics to advertise.

Just an example: https://www.behance.net/gallery/33271479/SMTP2go-Worldwide-SMTP-Server-Review

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Just FYI if inbox delivery is the key rather than having to send tens of thousands of emails per hour, I would put MXroute as an even stronger service than Mandrill. I've seen emails bounce due to Mandrill's IPs being on RBLs, for example, where MailChannels will re-send from another IP instead of bouncing in such a case.

I added some stock to all but the $5/year package here if anyone needs low cost quality delivery:

https://lowendbox.com/blog/mxroute-e-mail-hosting-starting-at-5year-with-2gb-storage-in-dallas-usa/

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2016

rikiy_roberts said: Pepipost is better alternative for my business needs as they provide 24*7 support and 25k free emails my friend suggested me so thinking of giving it a try

Also suspicious, specially since they are very new and this is your first comment.

Thanked by 2jar Rolter
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

aglodek said: I'd call it being on the defensive, which usually comes off as arrogant. They are fu@*!ing a lot of their users, including paying ones, and they know it. No apology whatsoever. No attempt at spinning this (read: no explanation for this sudden change). Somebody calculated they can do without the deadbeats and low end market and simply sent a message to that effect. It's a little sad, really, seeing all that goodwill they have built over the years, flushed down the toilet like that. Weird!

I have no problem with them saying "a bunch of free users does not make sense for us" and deciding to end the service.

But if I was writing the email, it would have gone like this:

• we've had a great run
    • because of X, Y, and Z we can't keep providing a free service
    • oh and btw, here's some interesting facts (number of hours our staff spends on spam, number of free accounts used to send spam, percent of our workload that is free services, etc.) to help you understand
    • we recognize this sucks for a lot of you
    • we're going to keep Mandrill around for 30 days for free to give you time to sign up or move
    • here are your options - and btw, here's X% off your first X months or we're going to donate X% of anyone who switches to the EFF, etc.

The email they sent was mostly "on this day, we decree this will happen, and on this day, we decree that will happen, and here's details of our integration plan you won't care about, etc."

• kingpinkingpin Member
    edited February 2016

@Dylan said:
    As someone personally affected by this change I'm not at all thrilled by it, but I can respect when a company says "you know what, this just isn't what we wanted to be." There's a great quote their CEO used in his blog post: "culture eats strategy for breakfast."

They could at least have just given a longer notice and their decision wouldn't piss us off so much. I mean free tier plan has been around for quite some time, and I think an extra two months of notice wouldn't cost them lots of money.