Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM stock? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM stock?

2»

Comments

• @Francisco

If you have even a little bit of Swap, I will love you even more

btw: finally, I copy directly from other machines use class files and turn off the compiler

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Zeno said: If you have even a little bit of Swap, I will love you even more

.18 doesn't have swap, period.

You could fake the swap by replacing the output of free. It's super sloppy but 'works'.

Trust me, once we find a .32 kernel that doesn't randomly crap the bed? We'll roll it globally.

Francisco

• @Francisco

fake the swap by replacing the output of free

Sounds awesome! How to do that?

Honestly....

http://secure.webslice.co.nz/knowledgebase/60/How-do-I-get-swap-on-my-OpenVZ-VPS.html

Seems to cover what you might want.

It's sloppy but it may work.

Francisco

• @Zeno said: @jcaleb Did not do anything, Just type javac:

I mean what Java app do you intend to run?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Francisco said: We have 90 some odd OVZ nodes so that's a chore to say the least and simply way too stressful on the clients.

I don't blame you. It's different for a provider starting out on .32 but when you've got nodes full of .18, high capacity nodes at that, switching seems to be the most irresponsible move at this time. Besides, as nice as vSwap is, it's still BuyVM > vSwap.

• It totally works! I can run javac -version now!
    I like it even it's sloppy

Thanks @Francisco , you're awesome!

• ZenoZeno Member
    edited January 2013

@jcaleb My blog WEB site,Powered by Resin (http://www.caucho.com/)

@jarland said: Besides, as nice as vSwap is, it's still BuyVM > vSwap.

Pretty much. Going from a pretty consistent 100 - 200 day uptime on our .18's to whatever .32 will give us (~30 days at best?) is hurtful to the brand. Even though we have alerts that inform us when a node starts to crap out, I shouldn't need to ask Anthony to sleep less just because we decide to test a new kernel.

Francisco

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Francisco said: ~30 days at best

It is not that bad anymore, havent had a crash for some weeks (touch wood since there is nothing much else that can be done) and in quite a few nodes that is something.
    However, I fully agree that .32 is not as stable as it should be and I completely understand providers that wish to keep the old working pony.

• @Zeno said: Powered by Resin

Prefers Tomcat.

• @Zeno said: @jcaleb My blog WEB site,Powered by Resin (http://www.caucho.com/)

Could be tight on 256mb, but perhaps try it.