Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The future of VPS? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The future of VPS?

2»

Comments

• @Ole_Juul said:
    I don't think so. That low-low-low end shit doesn't hurt anybody and it keeps some people busy. That's their game and they're welcome to it. The $7 market is obviously sustainable so will continue.

Anything above $1 :)

• Qovic_Bharat said: Anything above $1 :)

The bad news is I paid $1 for a VPS but ended up getting nothing at all.

The good news is that I made a wish.

• ricardo said: I don't think it's that clear cut as providers stand to make more cash from selling VPS' at the same price, as far as I can tell.

At first glance it would be obvious putting 100x $5 a month VPS's onto a server that they could rent for $200 a month would make more money, but after support/licensing/chargeback costs it's a very thin line.

Obviously dedi hosts or people with existing hardware have it better than someone renting a server from them, but it's still a thin line. Personally I think stuff like managed vps at lower price will become more common, or selling VPS with value added services such as backups and cPanel to make a profit.

Thanked by 1ricardo
  • The saying, "champagne tastes on a beer budget" wasn't invented by accident. There will always be a downward squeeze on price. Even 'free' isn't good enough because the race becomes 'quantity of free'. Oddly enough, my hydro company doesn't see it that way but I think we'll continue to see the race to the bottom on price. Only way to do that is through automation. So, look for even faster delivery times

IPv4 addressing will continue to be a problem. There are some significant economies who have not made a meaningful transition to IPv6 so we'll see how that plays out given that they're rapidly running out of options.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

doverland said: There are some significant economies who have not made a meaningful transition to IPv6

Well that's an understatement :-) Which significant economies have made a meaningful transition? < 10% globally.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=per-country-ipv6-adoption&tab=per-country-ipv6-adoption

The US is shown green on this chart but I'd hardly say we've made a meaningful transition...everything I do in the US (work and home) is ipv4-based. I could if I wanted get some things to work over ipv6 but I wouldn't classify that as meaningful.

• raindog308 said: The US is shown green on this chart but I'd hardly say we've made a meaningful transition . . .

Not only that, but the chart is hardly meaningful because so many users don't have IPv6 capability on their end. I've given up sending IPv6 links to people because they always report that they didn't work. So at this point it really doesn't matter how much of the net is IPv6 capable.