Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The future of VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The future of VPS?

MatthewMMatthewM Member
edited February 2016 in General

What do you think the future of VPS hosting will look like?

With all the changes i have seen over 2015 i hope 2016 turns out to be better than 2015.

I'm just asking this as it would be an interesting discussing to have.

Thank You for reading

Matthew Morgan

Comments

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited February 2016

Better processors, better network, lower prices. Like everything tech related.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Well, I think we're all waiting for someone to bring back the true lowend VPS with 32MB offerings.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited February 2016

Nekki could probably run a full-blown LNMP stack on it.

raindog308 said: Well, I think we're all waiting for someone to bring back the true lowend VPS with 32MB offerings.

• MatthewMMatthewM Member
    edited February 2016

@GM2015 said:
    Nekki could probably run a full-blown LNMP stack on it.

I got a LNMP stack to use about 26MB RAM before. :)

edited February 2016

@mtwiscool I was teasing but I seriously thought you'd vanished with the demise of 32mb.club.

• Probably on openvz, not kvm.

mtwiscool said: I got a LNMP stack to use about 26MB RAM before. :)

• @raindog308 said:
    mtwiscool I was teasing but I seriously thought you'd vanished with the demise of 32mb.club.

32MB RAM VPS's lead to alot of disk IO issues.

Any proper thoughts?

• @GM2015 said:
    Probably on openvz, not kvm.

Yes it was on a OpenVZ VPS.

• @raindog308 said:
    Well, I think we're all waiting for someone to bring back the true lowend VPS with 32MB offerings.

I can start 16/64mb.club if you really want

• Customers tired of lack of value with their VPS purchases and deadpooling will go to dedicated servers. I've got 3 dedicated servers and probably 5 VPS servers now when at one time I had 10-20 VPS servers.

• mtwiscool said: 32MB RAM VPS's lead to alot of disk IO issues.

Any proper thoughts?

RAID0 SSD node?

• @doghouch said:

With 1GB swap?

• @Traffic said:
    With 1GB swap?

No, that would make it unsastainable if it already isn't enough.

• IThinkUFailedIThinkUFailed Member
    edited February 2016

@doughmanes said:
    Customers tired of lack of value with their VPS purchases and deadpooling will go to dedicated servers. I've got 3 dedicated servers and probably 5 VPS servers now when at one time I had 10-20 VPS servers.

Can't agree more. For the most part dedicated servers offer better value and less factors that will effect you... e.g you're not sharing the server with loads of other people means you get the full resources and disk throughput that you should expect.

The only real benefit in VPS's is lower cost for client and the easy scaling.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited February 2016

@doghouch said:

Very true. Make it 2GB then.

(I was joking)

• Plus you can virtualize your dedicated server with OpenVZ/KVM/ESXi/Proxmox and sell your friend a VPN or VPS to maybe even cover the costs of your server

• @doghouch said:

That would be good yes :)
    Just make it cheap :)

mtwiscool said: 32MB RAM VPS's lead to alot of disk IO issues.

Correction: 32MB VPSes lead to a lot of disk issues when you put all of them on a single SATA HDD.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited February 2016

@raindog308 said:
    Correction: 32MB VPSes lead to a lot of disk issues when you put all of them on a single SATA HDD.

I can just slab a bunch of SSD KVM servers and break even on it. There are some implications: doing so would lead to 10 trillion customers complaining that they aren't getting 24/7 support for a $2/year service.

I can already imagine the "$2/year VPS from is garbage! Support is crap!" threads.

I've already opened a preemptive Paypal dispute.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I predict that the VPS market will begin leaning toward dynamic integrated solutions for horizontal synergy.

• With IPV6 supported only, VPS price could be incredible low with no support, as everything is automated.

• @jarland said:
    I predict that the VPS market will begin leaning toward dynamic integrated solutions for horizontal synergy.

springs to mind

• jarland said: I predict that the VPS market will begin leaning toward dynamic integrated solutions for horizontal synergy.

Sounds an awful lot like tits up

Thanked by 1jar
  • you tell us @mtwiscool what do you think is the future?

• I think vps's will stay in the market place ad their is a requirement for them... I.e a hosting customer that has outgrown shred hosting but isn't quite at the full dedicated server end of the requirements table, also for DNS clusters etc.

And of course the let crowd.

However the prices of dedicated servers are falling and bandwidth is getting cheaper. So it may be that we stop buying vps's and start buying low end dedi's

Chip

• It will sink unless people who sell stop making sales for even $1 and then providing shit support, equally people who buy it for $1 and then start crying over what they get which is expected.

• elgselgs Member
    edited February 2016

Self managed dedicated plus IPv6.

• Qovic_Bharat said: It will sink unless people who sell stop making sales for even $1 and then providing shit support, equally people who buy it for $1 and then start crying over what they get which is expected.

I don't think so. That low-low-low end shit doesn't hurt anybody and it keeps some people busy. That's their game and they're welcome to it. The $7 market is obviously sustainable so will continue.

• The Q is probably better placed for providers to answer... for me I'd say VPS' simply sort a permissions issue but leaves you with many of the problems of shared hosting. If dedi's of similar power are similarly priced then it's a no brainer. I don't think it's that clear cut as providers stand to make more cash from selling VPS' at the same price, as far as I can tell.