Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How NOT to use FraudRecord.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How NOT to use FraudRecord.

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
edited February 2016 in General

https://www.fraudrecord.com/api/?showreport=04762bb030381695

idiots... what the hell was the point in that.

Edit: I am going to use this as my own personal shaming thread from now on when I come across a record like this, sadly this is not the worst.

Comments

• Not a provider here, but I'm trying to understand that - is ChicagoVPS matching too little information before making the fraudrecord report? Or is it something else?

Thanks! :)

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

@theroyalstudent said:
    Not a provider here, but I'm trying to understand that - is ChicagoVPS matching too little information before making the fraudrecord report? Or is it something else?

Thanks! :)

Pretty much, as well as they need to add more details. "The user placed a fraud order, using a fake IP that did not match to the address, and when we checked the address against the postal service of that country, it did not come up" - would be more suitable.

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • @theroyalstudent I think ChicagoVPS is scam itself ;)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

theroyalstudent said: Not a provider here, but I'm trying to understand that

Its about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

• Had a company post on FR some misleading information about our falling out and why I switched to a different company. I chimed in with their state law regarding privacy and magically, that FR entry went away.

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB
  • its shameful that some providers uses fraudrecord to begin with knowing that it easily can be abused, customers are at mercy of the integrity of the providers that make use of fraudrecord. it will effectively drive away legit and not so legit people from your company! what if a totally legit customer gets reported on fraudrecord by a provider with some false reason? i've read that reported customers have real issues getting their listing removed (if at all!) and then theres still the problem of not knowing whenever you are listed or not. what will a legit customer who doesnt truely deserve to be listed on fraudrecord will do when he gets refused services on all populair hosts around here because of a false fraudrecord listing? he will most likely end up getting tired of the whole situation and starts creating a fake ID because he is left with no other choice, from there it will only go downwards for the providers because fake identity can be problematic.

• It sucks. I was listed by a company who was active at LET but when contacting them, they told that they did not add that and they have no problem with me, and I had no clue how to continue. Did send FR multiple emails with many proofs of conversations and even I asked the host to email them but no reply. I gave up after many attempts.

• ktkt Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2016

We use FR to check on orders however very rarely report, in most cases where common sense prevails on checking clients details before accepting the order. We've accepted orders from report(s) where a chargeback has been issued, we've not had any problem with those clients yet. Of course if there are multiple listings then that's usually no go for us. But single reports, outdated by months/years we can give them a go.

I've noticed this is not really vetted, just recently I noticed a report from a host named "Anonymous" with url "http://Anonymous" so from that I guess that there is no active moderator at FraudRecord and for clients it makes it nearly impossible to get listing removed.

Thanked by 2AutoSnipe localhost

Mark_R said: its shameful that some providers uses fraudrecord to begin with

naa.

• @Mark_R said:
    its shameful that some providers uses fraudrecord to begin with

@AnthonySmith said:
    naa.

i like how you cut out everything else, says alot.

Thanked by 1switsys
  • It's also interesting that WSI throws away accounts with Fraudrecord "listings" without any explanation.

There was a recent example of a person. Onrahost listed them for some non-sense reason and the buyer was denied at WSI.

Only a WSI employee noticing it changed that.

Thanked by 1david_reid

Mark_R said: i like how you cut out everything else, says alot.

It was because it did not say anything and just made me think of a screaming child trying to force a point without any real substance, that's what you do, I decided to not get in to it.

Thanked by 4lbft GCat doughmanes jar
  • Probably they reported themself

Thanked by 1GCat
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    It was because it did not say anything and just made me think of a screaming child trying to force a point without any real substance, that's what you do, I decided to not get in to it.

looks like you didnt like what i wrote and decided to be a dick about it. thats too bad.

• @Harzem

(but I think he isn't very active here... but maybe he is willing to chime in and tell about planned future of his project ;-))

Mark_R said: looks like you didnt like what i wrote and decided to be a dick about it. thats too bad.

Your right, I apologize, I don't agree with you but I should not have expressed that in such a way, sorry.

Thanked by 2ricardo switsys
  • AaronWAaronW Member, Patron Provider

@GM2015 said:
    It's also interesting that WSI throws away accounts with Fraudrecord "listings" without any explanation.

There was a recent example of a person. Onrahost listed them for some non-sense reason and the buyer was denied at WSI.

Only a WSI employee noticing it changed that.

Actually our system looks for keywords in the reports. We see a lot of reports that say "Customer did not cancel according to our procedure"... We don't deny orders for things like that. We deny automatically for "chargeback" or "dispute" or "abuse" or "spam". We also deny automatically for more than 2 reports.

Personally I like FR because it can provide more insight into why a customer may be an issue. More so than something like Maxmind that gives you a number but no real reason. It also allows some subjectivity to be inserted. "This guy was abusive to support staff" - okay. Sounds like a jackass, I'll pass.

At the end of the day FR is another tool to add to all the other tools a provider uses. There is a lot of fraud in the low end market and margins are thin. We get hundreds of orders a day. If I kick 10 legit orders out of every hundred then I'm probably okay with that.

Thanked by 2MikePT sin
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Thanked by 1GM2015

That bottom one... IgniteServers got a bit report happy there...

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • FraudRecord is an amazing tool when used properly and everyone behaves, but one-provider reports for "abuse" don't really mean much unless it's from a big provider!

Thanked by 1jar
  • @linuxthefish said:
    FraudRecord is an amazing tool when used properly and everyone behaves, but one-provider reports for "abuse" don't really mean much unless it's from a big provider!

What if there's one report from http://oneprovider.com/???

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2016

@linuxthefish said:
    FraudRecord is an amazing tool when used properly and everyone behaves, but one-provider reports for "abuse" don't really mean much unless it's from a big provider!

Pretty much. No one forces a host to take action based on what is reported on FraudRecord, it's just additional data. Just like an RBL, just because it exists doesn't mean it has value... but anyone is free to use it and create that value if they see fit.

I have a situation I could do with some advice on. I did a dispute with Provider X (they know who they are, and failed to respond for ages). The dispute occurred in May 2015. It only got added in October 2015. Is there any sort of time limit in which they have to report? Provider X knows who they are, and are welcome to contact me if they want to resolve.

• I am not sure what this means as all data is encrypted / hashed?

• @Mun said:
    I am not sure what this means as all data is encrypted / hashed?

The report itself is a fail.

@hawc said:
    I have a situation I could do with some advice on. I did a dispute with Provider X (they know who they are, and failed to respond for ages). The dispute occurred in May 2015. It only got added in October 2015. Is there any sort of time limit in which they have to report? Provider X knows who they are, and are welcome to contact me if they want to resolve.

Pretty much nothing you can do. FraudRecord is run by a WHT moderator... what do you expect.

Jonchun said: Pretty much nothing you can do. FraudRecord is run by a WHT moderator... what do you expect.

Yea. I dont 100% trust it, as Provider X is actually a Platinum partner of FR too.

• I've got hung up several times because I use a VPN. My ISP IP doesn't match my postal code either. Getting marked as FRAUD when signing up for a service doesn't feel very welcoming and I think that some providers need to get their clocks cleaned on how to be decent people and act in a civilized manner.

• Jonchun said: What if there's one report from http://oneprovider.com/???

Not sure, never seen one! Stuff from guys like Inception Hosting and IT7 you know they won't mess around.

This is an example where it's clear it's an issue between the host and client and personally I don't think should be reported, he's actually a very nice client and understands how things work.

Its even funnier, the one I am talking about simply states "chargeback"... There is a backstory in there, and information that is missing.

This discussion has been closed.