Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seeking feedback for possible future Atom dedicated offer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seeking feedback for possible future Atom dedicated offer

rds100rds100 Member
edited January 2013 in General

Hi,
We are planning to maybe start offering (LEB class) Atom dedicateds some time in the not so distant future, so i am seeking some feedback about what features / configs, etc. the potential users (i.e. some of you) might want to see.

THIS IS NOT AN OFFER. YOU CANN ORDER THIS FOR NOW.

Here is the URL for the plan - https://www.fitvps.com/members/cart.php?a=add&pid=19

I repeat: PLEASE DO NOT ORDER THIS. We cannot provide it for now. It is planned for sometime in the future.

The pricing is not final yet, but roughly calculating the costs - it will be probably close to what you see in that link.
I know that we will knot takeover the world (or the hosting market) and this is not our intention or desire :) Yes, we know Kimsufis are cheaper. Everyone who wants a Kimsufi probably already has one or can order one.

Here are some of the questions that might arise, i will try to answer them before they are asked:

Q: Possible two HDDs?
A: Not for now (can't fit two 3.5" HDDs in the case and i don't like laptop HDDs)

Q: Bandwidth is expensive?
A: That's what it costs here ($3000 for full gigabit is a lowish price for bandwidth here)

Q: How is installation done?
A: Automated, user can reinstall from client area. Remote reboot will be available - can power off/on/restart the server whenever you want.

Q: What OSes?
A: Linux, FreeBSD (we have to test all the options yet and determine which work well and which don't)

Q: Windows?
A: No

Q: Why need to ticket for IPv6?
A: I don't want the installer to try to install over ipv6 and cause breakage. IPv6 can be added after you are finished with the installation.

So, any other questions or concerns that might arise? Suggestions for more options or addons? All feedback is welcome.

Comments

• $3/mbit is cheap.

@rds100 said: $3000 for full gigabit is a lowish price for bandwidth here

• @jacob yeah, some people want unmetered / unlimited bandwidth and everything for nothing. We can't offer it, since it's expensive. We are basing our prices on the costs for providing the service :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2013

$40 is way too much.
    Consider everything you possibly can, to maybe not instead, but also offer a cheaper variant (<$25), perhaps with options of:

• a regular 500 GB drive?
    • 2GB of RAM instead of 4?
    • maybe a single-core Atom?
    • 5 free IPs, really? leave just one.
    • bandwidth is already low, won't suggest to cut here.
      As you requested I am not simply saying "meh, Kimsufi is cheaper", but also offering some suggestions. ^^
      Also $40 is 30 EUR, go to https://robot.your-server.de/order/market , draw an imaginary line at 30 EUR, and see for yourself what kind of servers you get above that line. And this is in Germany, not Bulgaria, which would be an advantage for everyone other than Bulgarian users.
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited January 2013

@rm_ i know this is far from the cheapest options, but we don't want to be the cheapest anyway, can't handle too many sales :) We buy everything with hard money, so can't really buy 1000 of these systems :)

2GB of RAM vs 4GB of RAM wouldn't make it much cheaper (2GB RAM stick costs $13 to buy, 4GB RAM stick is $24. So the montly price difference would be like $1 to $2 max).

500GB HDD wouldn't make it much cheaper too, for some reason the price of a 500GB Enterprise HDD is almost the same as 1T Enterprise HDD. What's the minimum amount of HDD space people are looking for? Maybe we can offer something cheaper with small (30GB) SSDs.

Single core Atoms -> nowhere to buy them, probably not even manufactured any more. And we are not buying second hand hardware, only new. If we find some cheaper MB/CPU combos maybe we can try to offer them too, as a different server.

The IPs... they cost us almost nothing really. Ok, they cost us 1800 EUR for this year (down from 2500 EUR for the previous year) for the about 28k IPs we have.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway :)

• @amarc Varna, Bulgaria (and this is in EU for those who don't know)
    Network wise: AS16154

• Take if from another LEB server provider. Im not featured here, but prices are below LEB. Lower than yours, bandwidth is at the same expense.
    Refurbished CPUs arent that bad and via known chinese resellers you can get them by the dozen.
    Are reinstalls done via PXE enviroment?
    Thirdly i suggest going the SSD route or fitting 7200rpm laptop drives. They are in no way inferior to 3.5" drives nowadays and offer better power consumption per node.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited January 2013

@jaakka if you can point me to good and cheap Atom based systems (be it from China or somewhere else) - i will check them. No, we don't want some old Dell / HP / Etc power burner servers, since we have some of the highest per kWh electricity prices in the EU. This is only about low power (i.e. Atom and similar) systems for now.

Reinstalls: Yes, automated, via PXE (it's actually the noc-ps system)

2.5 inch laptop drives - they come with low (1 year) warranty and break a lot. Are also slower that the 3.5" drives from what i have tested.

For the "Enterprise" drive option we will probably go with this one:
    Seagate Constellation ES ST1000NM0011 - it comes with 5 years warranty.
    For the "Regular" drive option it will probably be Seagate SV35 ST2000VX000 - comes with 3 years warranty.
    And for the SSD option i will probably go with Intel 520 (as all the stock of Samsung 830 seems to have disappeared here).

• @rds100 said: 2.5 inch laptop drives - they come with low (1 year) warranty and break a lot. Are also slower that the 3.5" drives from what i have tested.

This may have been the case with older 2.5" drives, but simply isn't the case anymore. I find modern 2.5" drives to be just as reliable as 3.5" and they offer similar performance too. Plenty have 3/5 year warrantees too.

http://www.ebuyer.com/255282-wd-500gb-black-mobile-drive-wd5000bpkt
    http://www.ebuyer.com/350087-seagate-500gb-momentus-internal-hard-drive-st9500423as

• @prae5 ok, thanks for the pointer, i will consider those :)

• @jaakka thanks, but i am not that good with the soldering iron to be able to solder this CPU :) The Atoms come together with the motherboard, they are soldered, not on socket.

• how about building the atom with smaller hdd and slash the price further but leave the option for hdd upgrades?

• @cosmicgate possible, but not too much, unless we also slash the included bandwidth. 3TB already cost about $30 if used.
    Maybe we will make another one with smaller resources included for those who want something for less than $40.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

3$ per mbps is not that bad, I am quotes a lot higher in Telepoint :)

On the other side:
    E:\Users\lostbg>ping 88.213.207.3

Pinging 88.213.207.3 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 88.213.207.3: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=57
    Reply from 88.213.207.3: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=57
    Reply from 88.213.207.3: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=57
    Reply from 88.213.207.3: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 88.213.207.3:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 12ms

For sure it would be usefull.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@rds100 - maybe instead of Atoms (in fact there is whole bunch of Atom offers) try to offer HP Micro G7 N40L with AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU which supports virtualization and max 8GB of RAM - with this and 5 IPs your offer makes sense (you can run small scale VPS setup) and I think it can be good alternative for Atoms

FitVPS network is pretty good - we have one of the rage4 DNS PoPs with them and it works like a charm

• @gbshouse said: HP Micro G7 N40L with AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU which supports virtualization and max 8GB of RAM

These boxes support more than 8GB of ram - you can stick 32Gb in them. Plenty of supported 16GB configs, but can be a little picky about 32GB. That being said plenty of working options for it if you search.

http://vmwaremine.com/2013/01/14/homelab-on-hp-microserver-n40l/

• @gbshouse thanks for the suggestion. If we decide to do these, they would be "in addition to", not "instead of" :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

We are selling Atoms Supermicro made 12/2U at 30-35 Eur depending on features (4 GB ram, on all, up to 2 TB HDD and 100 mbps flat) and there is not much market for them.

• @Maounique at least try offering it publicly :) Right now maybe only you, Salvatore and Piotr know that you are selling these :)

We did offer to customers seeking small dedis and almost all the time answer is hetzner/OVH are cheaper.
    And, truth being told, they are, even tho we have IPMI and customization, the price difference is simply too big.
    Who knows us will consider it, most of the people will simply laugh and move on.

• @Maounique said: 100 mbps flat

what does 100mbps flat means?

• @jcaleb said: what does 100mbps flat means?

Flat as in unmetered I'm guessing

• @rds100 said: We are basing our prices on the costs for providing the service :)

How dare you bring reality into this!!

• "Yes, we know Kimsufis are cheaper."

Yep, €9.99 for an Atom N2800 is cheaper, and it's about the limit for what I'd pay for a processor like an Atom that is good for backups but not much else.

I would however be interested in seeing another European provider (besides Worldstream and ServerBidding/Hetzner) offering low priced servers in the next tier up: aging but still useful (and much more powerful than an Atom) AMD X4 Phenom 8xx/9xx's, Athlon 64 6000+/5600+ X2's, Opteron 12xx's etc.

• HoloshedHoloshed Member
    edited January 2013

I use an atom D425 with 4 gigs of ram to run a copy of Windows Server 2012 that costs me 30 a month, and while some stuff makes it "think" for a couple more seconds when loading, it runs not bad at all.

So far I have not found anything it did not run but I cant say I am trying to run stuff like Photoshop on it either.

@Holoshed said: I use an atom D425 with 4 gigs of ram to run a copy of Windows Server 2012 that costs me 30 a month, and while some stuff makes it "think" for a couple more seconds when loading, it runs not bad at all.

So far I have not found anything it did not run but I cant say I am trying to run stuff like Photoshop on it either.

The only drawback is the lack of virtualization flags, otherwise an atom does everything you need it to do. I am aware some early adopters that tested 230/270 and the like were not impressed, but the dualcore series are doing rather well, only heavy stuff will make it choke, if you need some things like that, wont run on an atom, right ?

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

They're fine webservers or something; sure they won't host 500 VPS but that's really not the point. The new ones are much more powerful and useful; the old ones were a bit weak put still useless low end machines.

• Costs too much for what it is.

• It would be good to provide to provide Shared Web host to say 50 users making both parties happy (Total cost approx. $70 with cPanel).
    But unfortunately I am not a Webhost provider :( .

Also @Maounique IPreWeb has a good ping then OVH or at least competitive, here in India and most probably in Pakistan as @Asim use to say. (Better to say whole South Asia)

• another plus point better and friendly support and you both (hope so)would not be that rude and del. all data in case a DDOS attacks the server.
      As many says/complain about OVH.