Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for free hosting. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for free hosting.

2»

Comments

• @titanicsaled said: The question is, how would you plan to monetize it when many other have failed @KuJoe?

The most obvious options are ads (there are already many hosts without ads, so it's a no-go) and paid upgrades (but people that look for free hosting rarely need to upgrade)

• @Bogdacutuu said: The most obvious options are ads (there are already many hosts without ads, so it's a no-go) and paid upgrades (but people that look for free hosting rarely need to upgrade)

Or how about just doing something for the community? Bornin.asia is not making a single cent for me and I have to pay the regular price for CPanel and the VPS just like any other customer of CVPS, but on the other hand, I have saved hundreds of dollars by coming to LET and I feel that I am almost obliged to give something back.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Bogdacutuu said: websites tend to avoid DDoSes

Trying to avoid is one thing, actually avoiding is another. ;)

@titanicsaled said: The question is, how would you plan to monetize it when many other have failed @KuJoe?

The same way I did for the past free hosts I've ran. Considering I'll have 0 overhead it would all be profit. My last free web hosting company I sold was making me about $30/week (on top of the $200 Google was paying me every other month) which would be some fun throw around money that the wife doesn't have to know about. :)

• @zhuanyi I fully agree with giving something free to a (relatively) closed community. @KuJoe clearly said that he wants to monetize it however.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@KuJoe said: money that the wife doesn't have to know about

Welcome to middle age. You can expect to spend a large amount of time over the remainder of your life attempting this goal.

• I can't wait to see something come of it then @KuJoe :)

• @jcaleb said: bornin.asia

In the rules: Non-english content aren't allowed ( I'm going to post in spanish too.)

@thharris said: If you charging people for a service you should be able to afford that...

charging $0.5 ...

@Boltersdriveer said: Would be willing to host you for free so long as you have a domain ;) . Drop me a PM and I'll set you up.

Yes I have my domain, I'll pm you.

@ElliotJ said: Gatsby should work great for you. I'm usually fairly accommodating to individual needs, so if there's a specific plugin/theme you need installing, I can drop them in for you.

Sometimes the page doesn't load from me :S it says 500 error (chrome)

• @DestroyeRCo said: In the rules: Non-english content aren't allowed ( I'm going to post in spanish too.)

Oh, sorry about that, I just don't feel comfortable for people to post something offensive that I can't even read/understand...but if I know the contents of your blog (which has nothing offensive), then I might just approve your account.

• @DestroyeRCo said: Sometimes the page doesn't load from me :S it says 500 error (chrome)

I've been having some issues with Gatsby lately. (ungreatful bassy coming out) Even if it's free I find it rather unreliable.. (random downtimes) cname address issue.. (my domain getting forwarded to a random arse foreign website)

Broken images today.

Looking at AppFog (loads super fast atm) just a matter of finding sexy themes now.. :)

• @KuJoe - I've been thinking the same thing the past week, partner up? :D

• @David_P

Ive also had every single one of the problems you mentioned. Its still in early stages though I think so problems like that should be ironed out before it goes properly live. I think its just @ElliotJ working on it at the moment.

It has the potential to be such a popular service though.

• @David_P said: Looking at AppFog (loads super fast atm) just a matter of finding sexy themes now.. :)

Their site is awesome, gonna check it.

• @titanicsaled said: It has the potential to be such a popular service though.

Indeed

@DestroyeRCo said: Their site is awesome, gonna check it.

Definitely is awesome. Have soo many ideas of what I could use it for haha.

• Get a free ChunkHost VPS. They're not horrible for free.

Though they automatically power down if you don't login to it or if no traffic hits it for a while.

• @MannDude said: Get a free ChunkHost VPS. They're not horrible for free.

They are horrible with my facebook account "something strange happened with your account"

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Stop jumping on my AppFog bandwagon, I called it first :P. It is amazing though :D

• I don't mean to be a dick, but I'm still missing the point of this. If the difference of $5 a year is going to destroy the business model at a price point of $.50 then you need to think about doing something different.

Also then take into account Paypal fees, even with micropayments, and your down to $.42 per customer.

@DestroyeRCo said: charging $0.5 ...

• The cost is symbolic.

@thharris said: the difference of $5 a year is going to destroy the business model at a price point of $.50 then you need to think about doing something different.

Not all in this world is buisnees my friend.

• Well if that charge is symbolic, Im sure your customers would be happy to pitch more so that you could get a reliable host.

If your collecting money and providing a service. Its defiantly some form of businesses.

• Well anyways I'll stop probing, best of luck to you

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited January 2013

@David_P said: I've been having some issues with Gatsby lately. (ungreatful bassy coming out) Even if it's free I find it rather unreliable.. (random downtimes) cname address issue.. (my domain getting forwarded to a random arse foreign website)

I completely understand your frustration and understand your disappointment with Gatsby recently.

The VPS node Gatsby was hosted on, although was incredibly fast when first delivered has suffered from DDoS attacks and rapidly decreasing performance.
    This isn't to point fingers of blame; in reality I should've jumped ships earlier.

I've recently moved things over to a dedicated server, things should be much, much more reliable in the future - The CNAME blunder was aviodable and an amateur mistake on my part; I should've foreseen the inevitability of moving servers.
    I'll be looking into perfecting the failover system, as, well, it didn't exactly work as planned.

If you have any suggestions, ideas, or simply want a custom theme added - Feel free to contact me on here or elsewhere and I'll get it up ASAP.

Cheers!

• You might also want to consider the 1-year free micro EC2 instance, although you might not be too happy being limited with 16GB of free outgoing bandwidth.

• @ElliotJ

Do you plan to allow users to upload their own templates and plugins at some point?

• I don't recommend free hosting. Many of free web hosting providers will "spam" your visitors with advertisements but that's not a rule. However that's not the reason you would like to have a paid hosting. The main reason is that it's not expensive nowadays, you can have it for about $2-$3 a month. And that several dollars might change a lot. First of all you are going to have reliable services with less possibility of having downtime and other problems, you will have a professional support (that's not a rule unfortunatelly), you will have full featured control panel with the latest tools at your disposal. I am pretty sure that spending around $20 a year is worth it. You will save a lot of your nerves in that way :)