Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to gain direct root access? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to gain direct root access?

13»

Comments

• I wish that too.

century1stop said: how I wish I were 18

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • century1stop said: my access just got revoked, when I tried to peek into default user1 directory (as root).

A bit obscure, but sometimes root users have fewer privileges than normal users. For instance, root is usually blocked write access to NFS mounts - otherwise they could store an SUID binary and gain admin access on any system the NFS mounts on. It's a good way to maintain a distinction between local and global privilege.

TL;DR If root acts funny, I would check how your user home directory is mounted.

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • thanks, I've had my fun :D

@rincewind said:
    TL;DR If root acts funny, I would check how your user home directory is mounted.

• Make sure you have sudo access, add a password for root, add an SSH key for root and set allow root login in sshd config to "without-password" so you can only login over SSH using a key. It's important to have a root password set, as you might not always be able to login over SSH.

For example, if your server dies for whatever reason and you have to use the console to get it back online - you will need your root password to login to the console! Don't just rely on sudo.

If you do set a root password, make sure other services that use PAM etc are secure, such as FTP or cPanel.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • you would need to have your provider give you root access. Or sudo, so you can make any changes if you lost your root access. But you would do better by asking your provider's support or just reinstall the server alltogether

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited February 2016

Not if your disk is unencrypted and can boot the server in rescue mode(via console, not rescue cd).

At least I got root without prompt for password on my laptop and on servers as well with debian 7-8.

linuxthefish said: For example, if your server dies for whatever reason and you have to use the console to get it back online - you will need your root password to login to the console! Don't just rely on sudo.

• you can use "sudo su" in winscp