Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to gain direct root access? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to gain direct root access?

Comments

• @Mark_R said:
    hostnoob

i totally understand what you are going through, once i wanted to have a nice night of movie streaming and installed VLC on my server for streaming purposes, it didnt allow root user to run it... i actually had to edit the software to remove root detection and make it work!! ridiculous.

Even VLC? Wow

• @hostnoob said:
    Even VLC? Wow

yes i had to hex edit a binary file something like this

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40400

• Problem fixed. Modifying sshd_config file to permit root login. Now it works perfectly.

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Mark_R said: let me tell you, i've always been using root account on all my servers and never got my system breached.

Yes, but you're a pro. Still wouldn't recommend it but it's not quite the same thing. OP might have picked 12345 as his root password.

ftn said: Problem fixed. Modifying sshd_config file to permit root login. Now it works perfectly.

Why ask for advice if you're just going to ignore it?

• @raindog308 said:
    Yes, but you're a pro. Still wouldn't recommend it but it's not quite the same thing. OP might have picked 12345 as his root password.

I aint. i learn whats necessary to operate properly without interruptions and leave it by that. my main operation system of choice is still windows server, linux based operation systems is just my cheap go-to solution (no license fees) this is problably why most people go with linux in the first place (cost saving.) whenever im able to i'll always go with windows server because it makes life alot easier and ends up saving on manhours.

• @Mark_R said:

I'm going to disagree with your "this is problably why most people go with linux in the first place" statement. If we're talking about most of the clients you get in the LE environment then maybe yes, but if we're talking about people who actually do things, no.

• @deadbeef said:

Um, i am saying to not enable root by password?

As such your comment makes no sense ?

Thanked by 1daily
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Mark_R said: whenever im able to i'll always go with windows server

I withdraw my comment.

Thanked by 2daily netomx
  • configured that a way by the provider, activation email comes with instructions it has been setup that a way

@Jonchun said:
    Why would it be irreversible?

ah we have a genius

@Nekki said:
    Stupidity?

• @raindog308 said:
    I withdraw my comment.

i'm not surprised.

• Mark_R said: linux based operation systems is just my cheap go-to solution (no license fees) this is problably why most people go with linux in the first place (cost saving.)

You think? There's a lot of other reasons. I won't bore you with ideas about open source since I'm sure you know about that already. But what would make the London Stock Exchange dump Windows?

The LSE is far from the only one stock exchange to switch to Linux. More and more stock exchanges are realizing that when you really need speed, security, and stability, Linux is the operating system you need.

• There's really no point in a windows vs linux discussion. Each distro can do different tasks better.

Ole_Juul said: You think? There's a lot of other reasons. I won't bore you with ideas about open source since I'm sure you know about that already. But what would make the London Stock Exchange dump Windows?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @Ole_Juul said:
    You think? There's a lot of other reasons. I won't bore you with ideas about open source since I'm sure you know about that already. But what would make the London Stock Exchange dump Windows?

i rather not make this a linux vs windows pissing contest. both operation systems have their up and downs.

i'm always motivating people to choose the operation system that fits their purpose best, if we take me as person in particular i'll always choose windows because it saves me alot of time and still gets things done. on linux based operation systems i often get errors that make no sense to me, things that would've worked fine with windows server! for me linux remains a go-to solution for cheapskates, windows server os costs money and needs better hardware to run on but it will save alot of manhours and troubleshooting stuff because it detects most issues by its own (which consumes more hardware resources but is worth it in my opinion.)

• @Mark_R said:

You making so much sense until you got to

Mark_R said: for me linux remains a go-to solution for cheapskates

what happened?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @dailymc said:
    You making so much sense until you got to
    what happened?

do not feel offended. i try to keep this civil.

• @Mark_R said:

Not offended, just confused. Regardless, this is off topic and belongs in the Cest Pit.

• @dailymc said:
    Not offended, just confused. Regardless, this is off topic and belongs in the Cest Pit.

i guess opinions differ.

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited February 2016

GM2015 said: There's really no point in a windows vs linux discussion. Each distro can do different tasks better.

I certainly didn't intend any windows vs linux discussion but only wish to point out that many people chose Linux because it is better for their particular situation and not because they're cheap. Though that is also a good reason. :) I chose the LSE as an example because I doubt they're cheap.

Edit to add: I'm not a bit fan of Linux either, by the way.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @Ole_Juul said:
    I certainly didn't intend any windows vs linux discussion but only wish to point out that many people chose Linux because it is better for their particular situation and not because they're cheap. Though that is also a good reason. :) I chose the LSE as an example because I doubt they're cheap.

Yes i agree that the cheapskate comment i made earlier might've been uncalled for. it was not intentional. it just came up as one of the reasons one would go with a linux based operation system instead of windows server. i did not try to offend anyone with whatever i have said so far. my apologies if i did, im just a straightforward guy that shares what he thinks is right - this might bothers some people but i cannot make everyone happy!

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • @century1stop said:
    configured that a way by the provider, activation email comes with instructions it has been setup that a way

Please never apply for a provider tag and post offers... Please.

• But he's got resellers, so must be doing something good.

Jonchun said: Please never apply for a provider tag and post offers... Please.

Thanked by 1PieHasBeenEaten
  • century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited February 2016

so you're telling me you'll be able to change user access for it? give me an example hotshot, the server comes with 2 users, root/user1 with separate logins. make it 1 user - root, how do you propose to change?

@Jonchun said:
    Please never apply for a provider tag and post offers... Please.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2016

century1stop said: o you're telling me you'll be able to change user access for it? give me an example hotshot, the server comes with 2 users, root/user1 with separate logins. make it 1 user - root, how do you propose to change?

Humm userdel or deluser

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited February 2016

nope can't be done. my access just got revoked, when I tried to peek into default user1 directory (as root).

@PieNotEvenEaten said:
    Humm userdel or deluser

• Nice. Almost as authentic as nekki himself. You're a student, too?

century1stop said: nope can't be done. my access just got revoked, when I tried to peek into default user1 directory.

• everyone's a student. you're not gonna tell me you already stopped learning, are you?

@GM2015 said:
    Nice. Almost as authentic as nekki himself. You're a student, too?

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2016

century1stop said: nope can't be done. my access just got revoked, when I tried to peek into default user1 directory (as root).

HUH? I have no clue what you'll are talking about. I just being sacastic.

• me neither, reinstalling it now. see if that works

• Before you come to the UK, you'd need to read up on a few tips about the locals.

PieNotEvenEaten said: HUH? I have no clue what you'll are talking about. I just being sacastic.

• @GM2015 how I wish I were 18 :P