Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows VPS Suggestion? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows VPS Suggestion?

2»

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2013

@MikHo said: They do, it's always in their favor :)

I quit trying to reason with them after I was asking for a volume deal for my old job and they said I have to "legalize" my OEM licenses first, i.e. buy them again.
    At first I thought it was either a misunderstanding or a bad joke, but no, it seems that before getting volume licensing you need to buy Pro retail licenses for all the computers with "legalization" kits, since, of course, home OEMs are straight out piracy.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Maounique said: We were doing a LEB offer if paid quarterly was 7 $ a month. But was 512, not 1 GB ram.

Anyway, our regular price is 11.57 Eur for 1 GB. There was a 35% off coupon some place iirc.
    Windows 2008Rc2/2012 SPLA fully customizable, manually provisioned within 24 hours.
    http://prometeus.net/sito/WINVPS

Was it profitable at that discount or was it promotion only ?

@Maounique said: I quit trying to reason with them after I was asking for a volume deal for my old job and they said I have to "legalize" my OEM licenses first, i.e. buy them again.

Ofcourse, the reason OEM is cheaper is because they are non-transferable.
    You could however enter the agreement without adding those computers.

• pcanpcan Member
    edited January 2013

The best Windows VPS I have is from Prometeus. It was Windows 2008r2, then I upgraded to Windows 2012. Performance is stable, production-grade. When I use it as remote desktop, it almost feels like a dedicated. Control panel is Proxmox (don't like it too much). I also have a LEB-priced KVM VPS with Prometeus and my own Windows 2012 license for test/developement. Performance is still good, but disk speed fluctuates a lot lately.
    I am still searching for a Windows 2012 VPS with Remote-FX capability, to use as remote desktop. This requires Hyper-V and host server with Directx11 GPU.

@jarland said: I don't think Microsoft even understands their licensing anymore.

On my experience, the Microsoft Licensing PUR (Product Use Rights) is open to interpretations on many issues because Microsoft representatives needs some room for price negotiation. They usually aren't difficult to deal with; other enterprise software vendors are a lot worse.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2013

@MikHo said: Ofcourse, the reason OEM is cheaper is because they are non-transferable.

You could however enter the agreement without adding those computers.

I was not transferring anything, was just in need of a volume license agreement to overhaul everything to Pro. I had no issue with paying for the volume license, I was not about to transfer the OEM licenses to any other computer, just abandon them for the volume licenses, effectively paying once more, but no, Microsoft thinks that it's not enough to pay twice (OEM+VL), but trice (OEM+"legalization"+VL).
    The reason being that the previous licenses were Home, not Pro, therefore I needed to "legalize" to Pro first.
    I was so upset I never called Microsoft again.

@pcan said: Performance is still good, but disk speed fluctuates a lot lately.

If on pm21 had a few abusers there lately, they got the warnings and shutdowns and seems that it is OK now. It is hard to compete with SSD these days, even if the price for the storage then was about at the ssd price today...
    If you still have problems, please send me a ticket and i will look into it.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Maounique
    I think you misunderstood MS at that time,
    It wouldn't be "legalization", it would be an upgrade that you are paying for since Home versions are not available as VL.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2013

@Maounique said: but trice

And that, my friends, is why everyone pirates Windows :P

I tried to upgrade one machine at the school to Windows 8, just because it's inevitable, you can't lag behind forever in an educational environment where people are expected to learn what they'll be using on machines that they'll take to college. I asked for a refund when it wouldn't even download. Installer was idle all day, no network activity. Still a lot of things I'd like to see Microsoft improve on. Better than they were 15 years ago though, that's for sure.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@jarland said: Alright, I think it's time for someone to explain the autoboot joke to me. By the time I started reading the whole dewlance thing it was just too far in...

What is AutoBoot?
    If your VPS goes down for some reason then our AutoBoot software will automatically start your VPS,

Eg: If you are sleeping at night and your VPS down due to some software error,etc?

• I was make a plan to launch a 512MB RAM($7/m) and 1GB ram($14) but failed due to some financial problem :/
  • @jarland said: And that, my friends, is why everyone pirates Windows

Microsoft can't care less if someone will pirate Windows at home, because Microsoft customers for home products are the computer manufacturers. Microsoft will simply make sure that you feel the need for a new home computer in due time (no software drives, or screen hinges will break, maybe .-). And you can't pirate Windows in a business environement with >100 PC, because they will knock at your door. Smaller business have no/few money and Microsoft is not really interested to chase them one by one. They make sure that they are accustomed to Microsoft products (maybe pirated?) so, if and when they grow, this feels the natural choice. I think this can explain the somewhat widespread piracy of Microsoft products.

@MikHo said: It wouldn't be "legalization", it would be an upgrade

Of course, but the Microsoft wording of this upgrade was not the best, to say the least. @Maonique wrote about home and professional versions, so I presume this was Windows xp time. If I correctly recall, you needed a xp pro GGA (Get Genuine Advantage) license to upgrade from home to pro, then a VL (Volume License) xp pro upgrade to be entitled to use a VL product key. You had the feeling to pay multiple times for the same thing. Today is the same, but GGA license is replaced with a WAU (Windows Anytime Upgrade) from base/home to ultimate, so you have the "upgrade" feeling.

To keep on topic: if someone knows about a low-priced VPS with RemoteFX and GPU acceleration enabled, I am interested to hear about.