Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows VPS Suggestion?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows VPS Suggestion?

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
edited January 2013 in Help

Looking for a Windows VPS, license at expense of provider, with the following specs:
2-4 CPU Cores
1GB RAM
20+GB Storage
300+GB BW (pref. 1Gbps)

Not something I shop for often. I'm thinking under $20/m.

Comments

• @jarland said: license at expense of provider

So you're not paying for them? You're going to have a hard time finding what you want for $20/month.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@flam316 said: So you're not paying for them? You're going to have a hard time finding what you want for $20/month.

Not really. I just want to know who people recommend, there's several around.

• @Jarland, Exactly with in your budget :)
    http://burst.net/winvps.shtml

• @jarland: I used URPad for a 10/month 1GB RAM Windows VPS (don't remember if its exactly that). I don't know if they're still doing that though. I think @Nick_A at RamNode also have Windows VPS abilities? (not too sure)

• curtisgcurtisg Banned
    edited January 2013

I could do one in NV for $8/mo

• @Curtisg you are going to provide Windows License?

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

We don't provide the license, but thanks @HalfEatenPie.

• @curtisg said: I could do one in NV for $8/mo

lol
    just
    go

• @NHRoel yeah, can provide the license.

Got a KVM with @Nick_A anyway, one of the best KVM's I've used. Mostly because I have a solid connection from here to there, but node administration is obviously the next factor ;)

@NHRoel said: Exactly with in your budget :)

I actually just grabbed one. Turns out I have $36 credit there and I don't know why. It's been a really long time.

@curtisg said: I could do one in NV for $8/mo

Went ahead and grabbed a burst just because I'm not sure how long I'll keep it. Interested to see other suggestions though. I thought I'd find more in a quick search but actually it seems LEB and Windows don't meet very often. Understandable, obviously, as the license costs. Yet the two still do meet every now & then.

• @curtisg said: @NHRoel yeah, can provide the license.

For some reason, I can't trust my eyes. But if you say, I will have to trust you. That is pretty competitive price.

• Dewlance have a great deal, $18/mo for 20GB, 1GB, 1TB. And AutoBoot!

@ihatetonyy said: AutoBoot!

Alright, I think it's time for someone to explain the autoboot joke to me. By the time I started reading the whole dewlance thing it was just too far in...

• fanfan Veteran

Why not get a Kimsufi mKS?

• @HalfEatenPie said: @jarland: I used URPad for a 10/month 1GB RAM Windows VPS (don't remember if its exactly that). I don't know if they're still doing that though.

Not doing the $10/mo Windows 1GB anymore, but if he's interested I may be able to cut him a deal. (But it won't be $10/mo, sorry)

• Virpus and thrustvps both have under $20

@MannDude said: Not doing the $10/mo Windows 1GB anymore, but if he's interested I may be able to cut him a deal. (But it won't be $10/mo, sorry)

Btw you're who I've been sending people to when they ask me about Windows :P

• @jarland said: Btw you're who I've been sending people to when they ask me about Windows :P

Really? Awesome! So I take it you are / were happy with your Windows VPS then?

@MannDude said: So I take it you are / were happy with your Windows VPS then?

I only had one for a brief period, but it seemed to run great. Not a lot of people offering affordable ones already set up for RDP.

Man, never seen a system so slow. After 15 minutes I was able to enable RDP, so it runs slightly faster without the extreme vnc console lag. Their SolusVM page takes about 10 seconds to move from one page to the next. This is supposedly in Dallas and I'm a straight shot down I-20 from Dallas. -1 BurstNet.

• try softsyshosting.com they are good and stable also on Hyper V

@praveen said: try softsyshosting.com they are good and stable also on Hyper V

Awesome, I like fresh suggestions, never heard of them. Where did you hear about them, if you recall?

• @jarland said: I think it's time for someone to explain the autoboot joke to me.

It's a feature that reboots the container or something if the VPS is unresponsive, but the way it was advertised is as a revolutionary feature worth forking all your money towards.

Tried BuyVM or Up2VPS?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

curtisg 1:50AM

I could do one in NV for $8/mo

Somehow I have a hard time to believe you wouldn't loose money on that price.

• Is it any easier to get licenses for windows en masse? How do the providers here offering windows license them?

(Last time I looked, there were 4 different types of accounts over at microsoft, plus cloud partners you needed to sign up through) -- seems painful.

I don't think Microsoft even understands their licensing anymore.

MS recently changed the way the handle spla licenses, from april (iirc) you are not allowed a sbs license as spla anymore.

@jarland
    They do, it's always in their favor :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2013

@MikHo said: I could do one in NV for $8/mo

We were doing a LEB offer if paid quarterly was 7 $ a month. But was 512, not 1 GB ram.
    Anyway, our regular price is 11.57 Eur for 1 GB. There was a 35% off coupon some place iirc.
    Windows 2008Rc2/2012 SPLA fully customizable, manually provisioned within 24 hours.
    http://prometeus.net/sito/WINVPS
    I know OP wouldn't consider Prometeus because of my opinions, just thought it was worth reminding other people here.