Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you use a "cloud desktop"? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you use a "cloud desktop"?

2»

Comments

• Has anybody tried running a desktop on Scaleway?

• @raindog308 said:
    Win 10...most providers don't offer this so I assume you uploaded your own ISO...?

Yup, ISO upload in Proxmox, load up a new VM, set up a NAT connection so you don't waste any IPs and you're set.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I would like to have this kind of setup, but:

• I highly prefer to use OS X (in fact that's what I use exclusively for work).
    • Fast internet is not always available to me

So at the moment, disadvantages outweigh the advantages by far.

• Have a Windows 7 machine on one of my online.net E3's (originally had it on one of my Incero servers, but moved it over), and besides for everything initially coming up in French when I went online, it's worked very nicely.

• If a dedicated server is a cloud, then yes.

Intel Xeon E3-1230v2
    16GB DDR3 ECC
    240GB Intel SSD
    50TB @ 1Gbit

@Nyr a hosting provider next to our rack is running VMware ESXi on Mac Pro's. Not sure what's the name of the company though.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

cassa said: @Nyr a hosting provider next to our rack is running VMware ESXi on Mac Pro's. Not sure what's the name of the company though.

I know there are options, but not good enough for my taste. For now, I prefer to work locally.

• @Nyr said:
    I would like to have this kind of setup, but:

• I highly prefer to use OS X (in fact that's what I use exclusively for work).
    • Fast internet is not always available to me

So at the moment, disadvantages outweigh the advantages by far.

• this. Exactly
  • jhjh Member

I recently set up a Ubuntu desktop with VNC for unusual scenarios. It's hosted in my office (lucky to have FTTP and generator power there!), it's about 1 mile from home and the lag is still just enough to be annoying. I haven't found the time to mess with VNC and I'm even doubting whether Windows might have been better.

• jbarrjbarr Member
    edited January 2016

@raindog308 said:
    Been toying with the idea of setting one up...one grand place in the sky that's always the way I left it, with all my favorite...well, some of my favorite apps that aren't latency sensitive.

If you work this way, what OS/distro are you using, and what kind of apps are you running?

Also, please post your VPS specs and how far away from you it is.

I was able to install Ubuntu desktop, VNC, and Guacamole on a 1GB VPS from EvoBurst. Guacamole provides a cool Web based front end that allows for multiple sessions.

It was kind of a pain to set up, but id be happy to send you the steps I put together to get it all working.

Honestly it was really just a proof of concept, and if I wanted something more permanent, I'd probably go with a beefier VPS. The performance was pretty good, and it eas surprisingly responsive.

I really don't know why this concept isn't more popular.

Jim