Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you use a "cloud desktop"?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you use a "cloud desktop"?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited January 2016 in General

Been toying with the idea of setting one up...one grand place in the sky that's always the way I left it, with all my favorite...well, some of my favorite apps that aren't latency sensitive.

If you work this way, what OS/distro are you using, and what kind of apps are you running?

Also, please post your VPS specs and how far away from you it is.

Thanked by 1geekalot

Comments

• I do this and have for years.

Windows 10 is great for it, the RemoteFX makes even 60ms latency seem fine. (Low bandwidth sucks though). I'd love a Linux one but remote desktop just isn't as good in Linux land.

I basically run a full workstation in it, chrome (with a bunch of perm tabs), tbunderbird, irc, keepass, etc. I'm able to listen to music and even watch YouTube if I really feel like it. Some days my laptop/desktop at home are just expensive thin clients :p I have some things like my S3 or VPS control panel or seedboxes that I only access through my RDP.

Needless to say, I'm a big fan of it. Always on and can use it from anywhere (work, school, home)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

HackedServer said: I basically run a full workstation in it, chrome (with a bunch of perm tabs), tbunderbird, irc, keepass, etc.

What are the specs of your VPS, and how far away from you is it?

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

I would love to do this however I am yet to find something that will allow me to use all three of my monitors with the remote desktop.

• It's a KVM on my colo'd server, its beefy. 4 E3 cpus and 6GB ram on ssd+HDD storage.

You can certainly get by with less, but if you want to use it as a full workstation like I ended up doing (started with 2GB ram).

I'm in Michigan and its in Choopa NJ.

• trewq said: all three of my monitors with the remote desktop.

SPICE? http://www.spice-space.org/

Thanked by 1trewq
  • hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited January 2016

I got a 512mb (+256) vps in nl on offer and I keep meaning to set up Debian with a GUI. The problem is it just isn't as smooth as windows.

Edit: actually does anyone know how you can get gnome working on debian 7+?

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Specs in sig, 11,426Miles(18,388Kms) ~260-300ms - Windows Server 2012R2 - Used to manage networks, test things. Good for general use.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2016

I have a Windows 10 VM setup on my ESXi server in Dacentec. Planning on moving it closer to me eventually but it doesn't cost me anything now.

Specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

8 Cores (Intel Xeon X5650)

8GB DDR3 ECC RAM

200GB RAID Storage (6x 300GB 15K SAS drives in HW RAID10 w/BBU)

1TB non-RAID Storage (1x 2.5" 5400RPM SATA drive)

2x 1Gbps Ports (LACP Bonded)

1x NAT'ed IPv4

1x IPv6

Distance: 38ms

Way overkill for most people but I when I had it set to 6GB of RAM Windows would complain about lack of RAM so bumping it to 8GB keeps it happy and I basically treat it like my desktop except with more CPU.

I love being able to open SSH sessions, kick off a command, power off my laptop, go home, login to my desktop, and then check the SSH session to see the status.

My favorite thing to do is start working on my desktop and then when my office starts to get too warm I turn it off, switch over to my RPi2 or ODroid C1+ and pick up where I left off on my desktop. I can bring one of them into my living room, hook it up to my TV, and do everything I can do from a Windows 10 desktop (minus gaming of course).

EDIT: It's also worth mentioning that I use Synology's CloudStation on my NAS so all of my important files (websites, code, databases, images, docs, etc...) are synced to my desktop, laptop, NAS, and VM in real-time so if I edit a file on one it's updated on the others within 1-2 seconds depending on the size. I also run my CrashPlan+ account on my VM since the network speed is faster than my home network and it's on the network 24x7x365 so it's always backed up.

Oh wow, I didn't realize I could watch Netflix on it via RDP. I thought Netflix would have blocked the IP range already and I thought the latency would have been too high for HD streaming.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@KuJoe said:
    Oh wow, I didn't realize I could watch Netflix on it via RDP. I thought Netflix would have blocked the IP range already and I thought the latency would have been too high for HD streaming.

Wow, nice. I might have to install a Windows 10 VM to play around with.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I do something similar on my SP64 at OVH. 8GB of RAM and 4 shared cores. Windows Server 2012 R2. Pings are in the range of 8 to 20ms. Perfect for something like IRC. I sometimes just use it when the Atom in my surface won't do something well. Visual Studio is a big example

• emreemre Member, LIR

linux mint mate desktop + x2go here

2cores e3+4gb ram on 100gb ssd.

get rid of closed source coded stuff in your life, you will be a more happy person...

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2016

Been toying with the idea of setting one up...one grand place in the sky that's always the way I left it, with all my favorite...well, some of my favorite apps that aren't latency sensitive.

Absolutely, except my place is located at home on my home server (FX-8350 with 32GB of RAM). Since it's local (same city), there isn't even that much latency to speak of.

I briefly tested running a desktop on a Runabove 2GB VPS, but I can't bring myself to really trust the VPS provider with my logins/passwords (which I'd need to enter to login into the websites in typical desktop usage). On a dedi that might be a different story, but still, nothing beats your own hardware at your own place.

If you work this way, what OS/distro are you using, and what kind of apps are you running?

Debian with VNC over encrypted tunnel. Running Chromium browser, IRC, mail, IM clients, Libreoffice, etc etc... Everything runs on the server within this VNC session. I connect to that from anywhere I want (even while at home). Locally on the actual computer that's in front of me, I basically only play games and watch YouTube, aside from that the only app it runs is the VNC client.

• @emre said:
    linux mint mate desktop + x2go here

Testing Mint out now. Looks absolutely amazing!

• Debian sid and x2go on my WSI server, with x2go latency isn't an issue even on the worst connections. Not sure about watching videos though...

• I'd love to, but bandwidth here (ID) sucks.
    Closest server I can get is in SG, around 50ms, but what can I do if bandwidth is only ~1Mbps?

• Would love to have something like this but the true thing is that 95% of my servers are not close to me and run cheap hw and bw.
    Finding something that works from Buenos Aires would be quite a challenge

• kUbuntu desktop + x2go in OVH VPS 2016 SBG location, just for fun :D Actually is very fast considering the specs of the vps. Distance is 1,877.0 km and latency 60ms

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Win 10...most providers don't offer this so I assume you uploaded your own ISO...?

• KuJoe said: I love being able to open SSH sessions, kick off a command, power off my laptop, go home, login to my desktop, and then check the SSH session to see the status.

You don't need an entire desktop for this, I take it you've heard of screen?

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@kcaj said:

I'm pretty sure @KuJoe will know what screen is :P

In my work place we use VDI so it's VMware Horizon which is top notch. Personally I just use RDP at home and have a VM or dedi running windows server 2012 to use as a temporarily desktop.

• Classicshell does a wonderful job at making windows 2012 usable. I dislike that metro/whatever start menu sort-of-monstrosity Microsoft crapped on people.

AlexanderM said: dedi running windows server 2012 to use as a temporarily desktop.

• I run one on Leaseweb SG

1 GB + 40 GB disk
    only 20ms from my location

Thunderbird + Firefox + Terminator

NanoG6 said: but what can I do if bandwidth is only ~1Mbps?

I know that feel :)

edited January 2016

@kcaj said:

This was just an example. I regularly have 10+ SSH sessions open (mtputty) so it's nice not getting disconnected for things like power or network outages (last night was a great example, the storm kept causing quick 1 second power outages which were enough to reset my desktop and my clocks but a quick RDP session had me back to the same tabs and SSH sessions).

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Wow so many of you use win 10. I mean I'd use it as a main OS maybe, but for something like a workstation I'd prefer win 7.

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited January 2016

KuJoe said: the storm kept causing quick 1 second power outages which were enough to reset my desktop and my clocks

Completely offtopic, but if this is regular you should take a look at something like this.

Also, didn't Dacentec have power issues yesterday? Not really a good example :)

Thanked by 1Kris

@Ishaq said:
    Completely offtopic, but if this is regular you should take a look at something like this.

Luckily it's not regular, this is actually the first time it happened since I moved back into my house. I have my UPS in my utility closet for my NAS and networking gear and plan on buying a few more in the future but I haven't had the need for it until last night.

• I need to get myself a "cloud desktop" setup for work, just Canadian dollar has made me broke since I have to pay double pretty much for USD.

• runabove, 2gb, free, win12
    really gotta move, no gigabit at home, the speed is kinda nice there

• It should've been terminated a while ago man according to the "3 month" beta. It's over, but it isn't.

KlaasPiima said: runabove, 2gb, free, win12 really gotta move, no gigabit at home, the speed is kinda nice there