Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LES/LHC Singapore is down - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LES/LHC Singapore is down

2»

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2016

A DO server with 6TB of storage?

This is an in place recovery :)

I wont be dumping customer data at other customers houses haha.

• edited January 2016

@AnthonySmith said:
    A DO server with 6TB of storage?

Mount something like Amazon Cloud Drive, then run rsync

I wont be dumping customer data at other customers houses haha.

+1, that's a bad idea actually.

theroyalstudent said: Mount something like Amazon Cloud Drive, then run rsync

I understand why you think that's a good idea, the practicalities and realities are a little different though, I will be happy to walk you through the various issues and stages once its all done though.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I understand why you think that's a good idea, the practicalities and realities are a little different though, I will be happy to walk you through the various issues and stages once its all done though.

Yeah, would be happy to know more, so I can start my summerhost that provides (overpriced?) NAT VPSes better when time comes :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

theroyalstudent said: My handwriting is ugly af but whatever, here's a sample (from a pic recently taken):

On that note...are lizards a risk or an opportunity?

• @raindog308 said:
    On that note...are lizards a risk or an opportunity?

Nope. It was Tectonic Hazards, not lizards :)

just wrote this:

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

theroyalstudent said: Nope. It was Tectonic Hazards, not lizards :)

Techtonic Hazards as an opportunity...that was the plot of the first Superman movie.

• So does this repair pretty much wipe out any profit you have made in this location?

JoeMerit said: So does this repair pretty much wipe out any profit you have made in this location?

There is no profit in this location it is only around 7 - 8 months old :)

Thanked by 2gestiondbi vimalware
  • HegelHegel Member
    edited January 2016

Anthony, why are you running such nonprofit service? People are complaining too much. Also taking your time and money which could be invested in ih

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@Hegel said:
    Anthony, why are you running such nonprofit service? People are complaining too much. Also taking your time and money which could be invested in ihc

That is a good question. At least, you understand our pain.... ;)

• @davidgestiondbi said:
    That is a good question. At least, you understand our pain.... ;)

How much time do you spend on tending / managing these (difficult?) LES customers?

@theroyalstudent said:
    How much time do you spend on tending / managing these (difficult?) LES customers?

It's can't be calculated. We got a lots of ticket every week for things explained on website or forum. It's rare is for real hardware problem.

But as the project state, those VPS are not to make profit. We simply run them and for example, I make only a few bucks (less than a few coffee!!) by month in profit with the Montreal node. Now, calculate the support and chargeback, we fall in negative. I won't even talk about NJ...

This is why most hosting company running only NAT service and try to compete with LES fail in less than 1 year.

We run it to make VPS accessible to everybody and develop IPv6 adoption around the world! :)

Pretty sure @AutoSnipe, @Olivier and @AnthonySmith can confirm this! :)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @davidgestiondbi said:
    This is why most hosting company running only NAT service and try to compete with LES fail in less than 1 year.

Question: What do you think about renting a Kimsufi (or OVH) server and running 12 VMs on it, with proper CPU usage limits, on a single IP (LES style), for... say, $8/yr (with much more disk space than usual LES boxes)? Will it last for long?

@theroyalstudent said:
    Question: What do you think about renting a Kimsufi (or OVH) server and running 12 VMs on it, with proper CPU usage limits, on a single IP (LES style), for... say, $8/yr (with much more disk space than usual LES boxes)? Will it last for long?

Kimsufi = No SLA, hardware swap without notice, so it's a bad start.
    Also, no RAID, 100Mbps Shared port. This is not the best brand to start :P

• @davidgestiondbi said:
    Kimsufi = No SLA, hardware swap without notice, so it's a bad start.

Mmmm. Wow... Was about to start working on something like this, thanks for the heads up.

I probably gotta hunt down for the best provider for what I do, out there, before thinking about anything else :D

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • AnthonySmith said: transfers are fine between current customers, obviously there is very little any host can do to prevent you from dishing them out to anonymous strangers however the account is in your name, if they abuse it the fraud record report will also be in your name.

@theroyalstudent: base on above quote. I think that I'm not able to transfer it to you, sorry bro

• @michaelphan said:

Sure, that's fine.

Your both customers, I can transfer.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Your both customers, I can transfer.

@michaelphan

• @theroyalstudent said:
    michaelphan

ok, since I still have some data that I want to get back in those VPSs so once he finish restore, I will get the data back, clear my data and then transfer to you.

• @michaelphan said:

Sure, thanks :)