Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LES/LHC Singapore is down
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LES/LHC Singapore is down

For anyone wondering why his/her LES/LHC SG node(s) are down:

From the LES forums:

yes, completely down, even the ilo is unresponsive, I have requested leaseweb remote engineers take a look.

Sorry it wont be quick, I left the recovery running at 3am, I checked it this morning at 8am and I estimate around another 16 hours before I can do a test boot.

Still at least another 10 or so hours best guess, and honestly I don't expect this to have great results, if it works then everything will be restored as it was, if not I will reinstall the OS and import the LVM and restore the backed up config files etc, if the LVM is completely unrecoverable then everything will just be reinstalled fresh and new containers deployed.
I cant do anything to speed this up sorry, I suspect it will be Monday/Tuesday before everything is completely back up.

Good luck @AnthonySmith, hope everything comes back ASAP, since I do not keep copies of my code locally on my MBA, and everything is stored in the cloud, this (used as Git server) and Amazon Cloud Drive.

Just wondering, what do y'all use your LES boxes for, other than idling?

Thanked by 1roykem

Comments

• Thks for the update.
    I have 2 box in SG.

• I have 10 boxs in SG all still down more than 1 day :(

I use it for my customer websites. They are finding me to kill me

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • edited January 2016

@michaelphan said:
    I have 10 boxs in SG all still down more than 1 day :(

Oh well :/ Why would you host it on such a low end box like this?

DigitalOcean is the best out there, if you are looking for something reliable in SG, and you can probably spin up smaller Docker containers for each site :)

(speaking from experience, I host 20-30+ small WP sites on DO SG for an online friend)

Thanked by 2jar michaelphan
  • @michaelphan said:

Did you tell them you were going to be hosting their sites on a service with no SLA? If not, I don't blame them

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @michaelphan said:

This is a lesson to learn from. Repeat after me: I will not host any clients critical website on a server with no SLA, or no guarantee whatsoever.

• edited January 2016

@0xdragon said:
    This is a lesson to learn from. Repeat after me: I will not host any clients critical website on a server with no SLA, or no guarantee whatsoever.

No, welcome to the school of LET. You have to write that in a neat handwriting, for 300 times, and you have 2 hours to do it.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • theroyalstudent said: No, welcome to the school of LET. You have to write that in a neat handwriting, for 300 times, and you have 2 hours to do it.

Welcome to the school systems that do not teach hand writing anymore. They have stopped doing this at the elementary school where I went to just recently and it is a shame.

Thanked by 2TheKiller geekalot
  • I believe the ovz node has been unavailable for me for a while now in Singapore. About lhc kvm, I don't really use it.

There are usually issues on the Miami node for some reason.

michaelphan said: I have 10 boxs in SG all still down more than 1 day :(

I use it for my customer websites.

I think you deserve it for being too cheap.

• @AuroraZ said:
    Welcome to the school systems that do not teach hand writing anymore. They have stopped doing this at the elementary school where I went to just recently and it is a shame.

Never happened for my area, anyway, cause everyone is somehow expected to have a (at least) readable handwriting, and if you don't, you would get scolded (hooray!).

My handwriting is ugly af but whatever, here's a sample (from a pic recently taken):

• @GM2015 said:
    I believe the ovz node has been unavailable for me for a while now in Singapore. About lhc kvm, I don't really use it.

There are usually issues on the Miami node for some reason.

iirc Anthony is using the same host node for both LHC (KVM) and LES (OVZ). Performance is better on LHC, though.

• They hand out IPads and crap here so the kids do not have to write anymore. I get that they need to be familiar with tech, but they also need to be able to read and write. I think they are getting lazy and going way to far.

Thanked by 2vimalware geekalot
  • Oh right, I thought due to the different IP-s that they are on different servers.

theroyalstudent said: iirc Anthony is using the same host node for both LHC (KVM) and LES (OVZ). Performance is better on LHC, though.

• edited January 2016

@AuroraZ said:
    They hand out IPads and crap here so the kids do not have to write anymore. I get that they need to be familiar with tech, but they also need to be able to read and write. I think they are getting lazy and going way to far.

MacBook Air over here, its as good as useless now, and no one would put important documents there since the school opened up OpenSSH and has MDM setup to restrict apps.

90% of our work are still written though, which is pretty good, since the school systems (SSO to email, etc) are pretty crappy and fucks itself every other day with vague error messages when we try to login.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@0xdragon said:

You can, however, use redundancy! like 2-3 locations of LES can be a nice little setup!

Good luck Anthony with the issue!

• @davidgestiondbi said:
    Good luck Anthony with the issue!

Is there any stock left for LHC? It seems to be all gone now (or is it because of the downtime right now?).

I have one 128MB RAM (+128MB swap) node that expires in August, not sure if anyone wants one, PM me, I will be happy to get rid of it for €3...

• michaelphanmichaelphan Member
    edited January 2016

Yah don't try to fuck me up any more, since I'm a web developer not a system geek, I see that he's a mod here so his service must be very stable or some thing very decent.... I've learned a lesson myselft. Down every week, rude support and fucking not stable ip4 nat server... I'm now facing with my customers, apology them and have to pay myself for another vps from another provider and tryng to restore from the last backup one week ago :((((((((( I'm now having more than 10 boxs with lhc in sg. I'm planing to move all to another provider. If anyone interested plz pm me I will give you one for free (all are anual paid).

• edited January 2016

@michaelphan said:
    Yah don't try to fuck me up any more, since I'm a web developer not a system geek, I've learned a lesson myselft. Down every week, rude support and fucking not stable ip4 nat server... I'm now facing with my customers, apology them and have to pay myself for another vps from another provider and tryng to restore from the last backup one week ago :((((((((( I'm now having more than 10 boxs with lhc in sg. I'm planing to move all to another provider. If anyone interested plz pm me I will you one for free (all are anual paid).

When do they expire? I need 5 right now for my juniors for teaching, will be happy to pay with whatever money left in my prepaid MasterCard

(I'm just concerned about stability though)

• @michaelphan said:
    Yah don't try to fuck me up any more, since I'm a web developer not a system geek, I see that he's a mod here so his service must be very stable or some thing very decent.... I've learned a lesson myselft. Down every week, rude support and fucking not stable ip4 nat server... I'm now facing with my customers, apology them and have to pay myself for another vps from another provider and tryng to restore from the last backup one week ago :((((((((( I'm now having more than 10 boxs with lhc in sg. I'm planing to move all to another provider. If anyone interested plz pm me I will give you one for free (all are anual paid).

LOL! Get lost dude. It's not their fault at all, it's entirely yours.

Thanked by 2gestiondbi jar
  • @michaelphan said:
    Yah don't try to fuck me up any more, since I'm a web developer not a system geek

Nor am I (but I'm learning), but I know that I will never host it on a provider with no SLA.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@michaelphan said:

You have been warned at least 3 times about using it for customer sites, you constantly overload your servers and get them shut down for disk or cpu abuse, you have no one to blame but yourself and your servers are often the cause of other people being impacted.

• @theroyalstudent said:
    Nor am I (but I'm learning), but I know that I will never host it on a provider with no SLA.

Use a provider with snapshots (with the snapshots themselves stored on different hosts).

I find that enough redundancy for most practical applications, that need to stay up.

Lunanode, dediserve, wable, iwstack, vultr?, DO? all should work.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • michaelphan said: I'm now having more than 10 boxs with lhc in sg. I'm planing to move all to another provider.** If anyone interested plz pm me I will give you one for free (all are anual paid)**.

That's grounds for termination, no?

@anthonysmith

Thanked by 1BlazeMuis
  • @Nekki said:
    That's grounds for termination, no?

I would love to get some of that though, but not sure if @AnthonySmith allows that...

Anthony, do you?

• theroyalstudent said: I would love to get some of that though, but not sure if @AnthonySmith allows that...

No host allows you to dish out containers to total strangers.

An official transfer to another customer is a different matter.

• @Nekki said:
    An official transfer to another customer is a different matter.

Yeah, wishing that @AnthonySmith would allow them actually... Just gotta wait for a reply.

edited January 2016

transfers are fine between current customers, obviously there is very little any host can do to prevent you from dishing them out to anonymous strangers however the account is in your name, if they abuse it the fraud record report will also be in your name.

Just for the record this server itself has been pretty solid, I took the 12 disk HW raid 10 option for good redundancy.

No one can prevent hardware failure and no one on the server is paying even standard LET rates, never mind enterprise grade with self healing fail over, which is the way some people are acting.

Its 6TB of data I am trying to recover, its not going to happen over night, the network is mediocre and routes are not ideal but that's what you get on a budget in Singapore.

99% of all the issues people have is taking a 512mb KVM and assuming you can run a full (insert panel name here) and then a number of unoptimised 50 plugin wordpress sites, then complain your site is down because you were suspended for generating 10k IOPS @ 300 MB/s constantly.

I am not annoyed, I expected it, but I wont yield to over inflated expectations because all you see is the price tag.

Thanked by 3vimalware ATHK Wolf
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Its 6TB of data I am trying to recover, its not going to happen over night, the network is mediocre and routes are not ideal but that's what you get on a budget in Singapore.

Wait, are you trying to download 6TB of data to your house? That's crazy...

theroyalstudent said: Wait, are you trying to download 6TB of data to your house? That's crazy...

... I was putting it in your house, is that ok?

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • edited January 2016

@AnthonySmith said:
    ... I was putting it in your house, is that ok?

But seriously if you wanna dump 6TB of data on my house, feel free to. (jk, you can offload some to my house in SG if you're interested, PM for more details)

Why don't you get a DO server in SG and download those data, then dump them on "unlimited" cloud storage like Amazon Cloud Drive?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

michaelphan said: Yah don't try to fuck me up any more, since I'm a web developer not a system geek, I see that he's a mod here so his service must be very stable or some thing very decent.... I've learned a lesson myselft. Down every week, rude support and fucking not stable ip4 nat server... I'm now facing with my customers, apology them and have to pay myself for another vps from another provider and tryng to restore from the last backup one week ago :((((((((( I'm now having more than 10 boxs with lhc in sg. I'm planing to move all to another provider. If anyone interested plz pm me I will give you one for free (all are anual paid).

Thanked by 2vimalware jar