Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After a LEB to *reliably!* run SRCDS, or to just get SRCDS running reliably on my current one - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

After a LEB to *reliably!* run SRCDS, or to just get SRCDS running reliably on my current one

124»

Comments

• @n0my: then show the graph.

• n0myn0my Member
    edited February 2013

You are going to provide OVZ container?

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited February 2013

@n0my said: You are going to provide OVZ container?

I find your argument that VPS is not suited for game server hosting unjustified. You stated you have proof and that you have proved it but all I see is you stating you have proof but not posting it.

You used the past tense of Proof also known as proved, please show me the proof.

Edit: And no, I won't provide you an OpenVZ Container because you should probably have your own you can use.

• n0myn0my Member
    edited February 2013

Sorry for the typo. If the OP started his/her tf2 server, I would have compared it with my tf2 server that I run with OVH kimsufi.

I tested srcds first thing after getting a leb for the first time. Was very disappointed. Since then I never installed srcds on VPS. OVZ is the worse virtualisation to use for realtime gaming servers. Its not minecraft!

Sorry for the typos if there are any.. Hope you wont use my typos if you have nothing else to say or provide :P

Edit: Just saw your edit. Forget about it. I will NEVER use OVZ for SRCDS. Someone must be dumb to do it in my opinion and I dont like to waste money. Thats what LET is about? :)

edited February 2013

LET is about using a lowendbox to do whatever we can do with as limited resources as we can (or atleast that's what it used to be). For example, when damian started selling 32mb OpenVZ Containers people on IRC were trying some pretty crazy things with it, such as running a minecraft server off of it, a php+mysql server on it, etc.

Coming back to this though, I've ran SRCDS on a OpenVZ container and it has worked fine. I ran it on a KVM and it worked fine. It all depends on the container you had because personally, I haven't found any issues with OpenVZ, KVM, or really any virtualization technology running SRCDS.

Talk to tons of other people who run TF2, CS:S, COD4, etc. on VPS containers and have large communities with them.

Yes you possibly had an issue previously with running a gameserver on a VPS Container but just because you had one issue doesn't mean it'll never work. Honestly, OpenVZ should be decent enough for SRCDS server (as long as you have enough memory, the I/O isn't crap, etc.)

• I'm a community owner myself. I'm not here to misguide anyone. OVZ just doesnt do it for srcds! He should try Xen or something better.

Check out these thread I have found on google. It seems I am quite right and you seem to be blabbering on without finding any solution or trying to help.

http://forums.srcds.com/viewtopic/14761
    http://forums.srcds.com/viewtopic/16248
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1124416
    http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=189646

Peace out!

edited February 2013

@n0my said: It seems I am quite right and you seem to be blabbering on without finding any solution or trying to help.

And again you're going with the negative tone and trying to offend me (by using the term "blabbering").

http://forums.srcds.com/viewtopic/14761 <- They're talking about how 2.33GHz CPU is NOT enough for it. If you look at the last post a STAFF MODERATOR even stated that "I have run many many games servers on VPS'."

http://forums.srcds.com/viewtopic/16248 <- The "BehaartesEtwas" person focuses his own post about VPS containers that are mostly overloaded (most of his concerns are about overloaded servers). Which may be true depending on providers.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1124416 <- Most of their concerns are I/O and CPU. Which again is the main concern of the server is oversold (without proper client management).

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=189646 <- Same thing as the above

I'm just here so that the original poster isn't misinformed by your comments. Now I'm not calling you any degrading terms (like you are):

@n0my said: blabbering

@n0my said: Well I tried my best to help but some people just don't want to be helped I guess. I will leave.

Your back-handed complements not only to me but other people is just annoying and is basically the entire reason I even came into this thread.

Anyways in relation to the original poster's statement VPS is fine for gameservers (this is my main concern). I have never experienced the issues you had before but I'm not going to let @n0my misinform you by requiring a dedicated server when a VPS is perfectly fine.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@n0my said: I will NEVER use OVZ for SRCDS

I've got a bunch of people doing it. They all love it. The usage patterns are perfect, I have 0 complaints and never limit them in any way because it's never been abusive.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

I'm a moderator on SRCDS.com. if you sign up for our 512MB plan submit a ticket and I will get srcds running for you.

• I suggest OP tried different Virtualisation technology at least (Xen or KVM). Dedicated server is HIGHLY recommended for SRCDS.

Srcds runs fine on OpenVZ. You just need to have the appropriate resources.

@trewq said: You just need to have the appropriate resources.

And servers that aren't massively oversold. Our VPS in Dallas outperforms a low end dedi any day.

• n0myn0my Member
    edited February 2013

@trewq said: Srcds runs fine on OpenVZ. You just need to have the appropriate resources.

During my test with SRCDS and OVZ, I always got yellow lerp regardless of rate settings. I think its because server's FPS wasnt that good. But I think many providers don't keep their boxes empty for you so you can maintain good FPS on srcds. And because of this, everyone will complain about lag.

@n0my said: But I think many providers don't keep their boxes empty for you so you can maintain good FPS on srcds.

Hmm. I'm curious what the performance was like on the node itself. Truthfully the people on my nodes running it are almost nonexistent on iotop, and range 30%-80% usage of a single core on average during the peak times.

• @trewq said: I'm a moderator on SRCDS.com.

Right there is his credentials (therefore we're going to assume he knows a ton about SRCDS).

@trewq said: Srcds runs fine on OpenVZ. You just need to have the appropriate resources.

This is his statement.

@n0my said: During my test with SRCDS and OVZ, I always got yellow lerp regardless of rate settings. I think its because server's FPS wasnt that good. But I think many providers don't keep their boxes empty for you so you can maintain good FPS on srcds.

You're arguing something that we've already proved you're incorrect. The main server doesn't have to be empty just so you can get a great connection. It needs to be properly managed, maintained, and obviously the server daemon has to be properly configured.

Most of this could be solved by obtaining a SSD VPS with a CPU core speed of around 2.5GHz or Higher.

Stop trying to mislead people.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2013

I have mixed feelings about this.
    There was a guy running 2x3 GB VPSes (we sold some of those at 7 $ i think, BTW, I dont think many ppl remember that and Prometeus was perhaps the first to do it) running many-many threads of those.
    On the SSD-cached node load was like 6 max (out of 4 cores), but on the non-cached one was 20.
    Now he did draw a lot of power from the CPU, dunno what game, but had 20-30 processes, gave him more ram and then vswap (the original plan had none) and it did a lot of good.
    It is possible n0my had an OVZ without vswap (.18 kernels) and when i doubled the ram to 6 GB that did little to improve the situation, but when added just 512 MB vswap results were much better.
    I am no expert in valve games (run a couple of servers 1.6 counterstrike many years ago always 40 slots full out of some durons without lag), but from this experience I can say there is much that can influence the server, it does assume some things, among these the fact it is running on dedicated hardware.
    Right now we have still people running these processes, havent heard anyone complaining (the guy I wrote before didnt, I just wrote him about the load and then we started trying things to make both our lives easier).
    There can be app optimization and server optimization (in the latter case it is best to choose the right one beforehand because i doubt every provider will help you experiment)

• I don't think anyone doubted that SRCDS would run on dedicated hardware versus a VPS.

But gameservers on VPSes are completely possible and doable.

Your statement of "you can only run gameservers on dedicated servers and not VPSes due to it being 'inefficient'," is false.

• n0myn0my Member
    edited February 2013

My bad if I came across saying you cant run srcds on vps. I didn't mean that.

But I think there is a srcds performance hit on vps server (esp ovz) compared to a dedicated server. I wont say this for sure because someone here is like a shark looking for errors on my grammar and spellings. I will do some more tests when I have time and will update this thread.

edited February 2013

@n0my said: But I think there is a srcds performance hit on vps compared to a dedicated. I wont say this for sure because someone here is like a shark looking for errors on my grammar and spellings. I will do some more tests when I have time and will update this thread.

I apologize I can't understand your attempt at communication via written format (its totally my fault that I can't read minds through your writing). I mean its not like this is the only way we are currently communicating.

Anyways, like what basically everyone else is saying, SRCDS runs fine on a VPS without that noticeable (atleast to the people here) of a performance hit.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@n0my said: I will do some more tests when I have time and will update this thread.

1. Make sure it has vswap. Seems it matters a lot. Load lowered by 30% when I added some.
    2. Pick a host with good reviews and close to you. Test ping beforehand.
    3. Start with fewer processes and stop when load is equal with your number of cores or before.
      You may get a quality server with little money.
      VPSes beat dedis at the same price most of the time. Once again, make sure you get a reputated host, saving one dollar out of 7 will make you throw away the rest of 6.
  • I have no issues with OPENVZ and hosting tf2 servers, hell I run 3 on one vps instances and the thing runs like a champ, it is more due to two things. (1 the server operator, the person who bought the vps. (2 The hosting company.

I will fully admit I have run servers for a few months on select providers and closed them down a few months later. It really is hit or miss.

Not going to banter on which hosts, but if you are looking for some info pm me and I will tell you which ones to avoid.

• RophRoph Member
    edited February 2013

Wow, I went to sleep and came back to a lot of arguing :o

At the moment I'm trying something with Mun / letting him experiment a little. If it doesn't work out I'll definitely be trying out your service @trewq :)

• Sent you a PM as well, @Roph. Not been able to replicate it but if this has been an issue plaguing quite a few users then it ought to be solved.

@Roph said: If it doesn't work out I'll definitely be trying out your service @trewq :)

Hopefully it works out for you. Otherwise I am here to help :)

• wroxwrox Member
    edited February 2013

@Roph 24khost's/RockMyWeb OVZ containers worked fine for me for months, for both TF2 and CS:GO. You can always try either! :)