Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After a LEB to *reliably!* run SRCDS, or to just get SRCDS running reliably on my current one - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

After a LEB to *reliably!* run SRCDS, or to just get SRCDS running reliably on my current one

Comments

• Noted, I just used the default cfg/values from the official wiki.

I've now moved over to a 1GB vps from MiniVPS and so far it's running perfect :o

• MunMun Member

And cvps said I was lying... PSHH!

• Changed the rate settings following your suggestions and restarted it, let's see how it goes =o

• NHRoelNHRoel Member
    edited January 2013

@Jack said: opposite.

Solsuvm only works or should I say supports RHEL kernel?

• @Jack said: RHEL5 or RHEL6 and CVPS the opposite.

@Jack said: Yes?

I am missing your point?

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited January 2013

mp_timelimit 10080

Is that even safe?

• MunMun Member

Some servers run at unlimited, but I like to change my map every 2 hours or less.

• @GIANT_CRAB said: Is that even safe?

It's meant to be a never ending team deathmatch on the same map. I chose a ~1 week round time to occasionally reset certain things, like the way the red tape recorder item messes up map-owned buildings.

• MunMun Member

So @Roph any more issues?

• @NHRoel said: I am missing your point?

What he said is that 1 uses RHEL 5 and one uses RHEL 6. They are both RHEL kernel. Not sure what the misunderstanding was.

• @Jack said: MiniVPS is running RHEL5 or RHEL6 and CVPS the opposite.

@concerto49 If I am reading this right, it sounded like he mentioned Minivps is running RHEL5 or RHEL6 and CVPS is running something wrong. But taking a second look, it looks like it was a short message. Thanks for clarifying :)

• I think I'm gonna give up on this :(

BudgetVM 1GB OVZ (lol)

ChicagoVPS 2GB OVZ

ChicagoVPS (same as above, but alone on a new node)

MiniVPS 1GB OVZ

RamNode 512MB KVM

All had the same result - srcds hangs. Eh.

• @Roph said: All had the same result - srcds hangs. Eh.

What's the bottleneck and what's the issue? Is it CPU, memory or?

• RophRoph Member
    edited February 2013

Good question. It happens to others too, if you google around you'll see users reporting their servers mysteriously hanging.

SRCDS is pretty light on CPU & disk i/o, and uses about 400-650mb of memory depending on how many players there are.

I would just call it a day and get a kimsufi, but that's both out of my price range, and I'd be heavily under-utilising it.

• @Roph said: Good question. It happens to others too, if you google around you'll see users reporting their servers mysteriously hanging.

In this case would it be a good with it? What have the other users been saying? Instead of simply trying all the providers, best to work out the issues - report them if possible and get a resolution.

It could be a race condition. Just wondering if you've always tried it on multi-CPU configs or a VPS with 1 CPU.

• RophRoph Member
    edited February 2013

I think it's always been multiple vCPU, though afaik SRCDS is not multithreaded.

Here's a graph example of when it hung on a 1GB OVZ MiniVPS (on the left):

Then I restarted it, then some players were on, then it hung again. At no time did it go anywhere near the memory limit, or really stress the CPU at all. It's just odd.

• @Roph said: I think I'm gonna give up on this :(

BudgetVM 1GB OVZ (lol)

ChicagoVPS 2GB OVZ

ChicagoVPS (same as above, but alone on a new node)

MiniVPS 1GB OVZ

RamNode 512MB KVM

All had the same result - srcds hangs. Eh.

I think a few people here owe us some apologies for automatically assuming it was an issue with us :p

On a serious note, this is definitely an issue with your configuration like I predicted @Roph and the VPS host is really irrelevant here as you experienced the same problem with over 5 providers.

• RophRoph Member
    edited February 2013

I wouldn't say it's a config issue. Each time I install via the official wiki guide, and use the sample stock configuration, again from the official wiki. Only changing non-serious things like server name, different map, round time and so on. None of these could contribute to the hanging.

And as I said in my first post of this thread, I was never making a dig at chicagovps :o

I want to hear from someone successfully running SRCDS on OVZ or just any kind of LEB. Maybe if they'd try my map/config for a day or two, see if it happens to them? I'm doubting it though :|

• @Roph said: I wouldn't say it's a config issue. Each time I install via the official wiki guide, and use the sample stock configuration, again from the official wiki. Only changing non-serious things like server name, different map, round time and so on. None of these could contribute to the hanging.

Well you tried it on both OVZ and KVM across different providers, so it definitely isn't an issue with any of the VPS providers infrastructure or setup here - so that can be eliminated. It is likely a configuration problem or a SRCDS issue.

@Roph said: And as I said in my first post of this thread, I was never making a dig at chicagovps :o

I understand and appreciate that, but a lot of other members of the community here decided to take it that way and automatically jump into conclusions without any factual evidence or reasons to go off of (if you review the first page, you'll see quite a few).

I just find it amusing how people make wild assumptions here and jump into conclusions without any bases to go off of, perhaps this thread should be a prime example as to why such personal assumptions should be kept to one's self.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Roph said: I want to hear from someone successfully running SRCDS on OVZ

We have some ppl doing that, I see tens of processes in some servers, but I do not know if it crashes or not. Might also be a different game, I have absolutely no idea how are these going.

• RophRoph Member
    edited February 2013

SRCDS is used for all of valve's source games, so TF2 / L4D / CS / CS:GO etc, all with varying resource requirements / and patterns.

Feel like offering a few days trial? 3 or 4 days should be more than enough to spot it hanging, which I'm sadly expecting :(

On a side note, I also tried running srcds on my old laptop (1.2Ghz Athlon XP w/ 512mb DDR from ~2003), though that obviously didn't work :P

• srcds servers are cpu intensive. They are not to be used on VPSes especially on OVZ. Get a cheap dedi instead. You dont wanna play in lag...

• @n0my said: srcds servers are cpu intensive. They are not to be used on VPSes especially on OVZ. Get a cheap dedi instead. You dont wanna play in lag...

I've used SRCDS on multiple OVZ VPSes on multiple occasions and have never had such issue.

• I'm just saying that its not reliable at all to run srcds game servers on vps. There is always lag. If you are not a gamer than you wont feel this lag but gamers know what the best gaming experience is... Running srcds on cheapest ovh dedi will provide you with reliable and smooth gaming experience than any vsp.

• RophRoph Member
    edited February 2013

Hehe, funny posts from n0my. You don't get it mojeda, you're not a "true pr0 l33t gamer"!

When it worked, I'd have about 9-12ms ping to srcds on minivps, with Americans getting under 100. Or maybe you mean spikes - never happened. The only problem is that eventually it would hang / crash / whatever it is that shuts it off.

• Can you try to run the server so I can do some tests by joining the server?

• Well I tried my best to help but some people just don't want to be helped I guess. I will leave.

Roph, the lags im on about arent crashes. Its a delay which is very annoying. But if you are good in lag then I guess you like laggy gameplay... I cant help you in this case.

But for server hanging/crashing, make sure the script that starts the server is running properly.

Happy lagging.

• @n0my said: Happy lagging.

You're just angry right now aren't you?

Relax. Anyways not all Game servers require a dedicated server, they can run perfectly well on a VPS.

• @HalfEatenPie said: Relax. Anyways not all Game servers require a dedicated server, they can run perfectly well on a VPS.

We got 96gb nodes splitted up in several boxes for Minecraft, so yes it runs fine. ET, UT and Samp are also running in a different box :)

@Roph, Download your files somewhere else again and use another tutorial. It might be in the files, probably not but if it is.... you can buy everything you want but nothing will fix it.

What location do you want?

• n0myn0my Member
    edited February 2013

@HalfEatenPie said: You're just angry right now aren't you?

Relax. Anyways not all Game servers require a dedicated server, they can run perfectly well on a VPS.

Not at all bud. What makes you think that?

I have tried srcds on vpses.. Linux and windows. It does runs, but very inefficiently... there is lag and weird delay that is only found on VPS esp on OVZ. You can check this by using net_graph 3.

I would have shown this to everyone and proved it but some people dont want to be helped... or maybe just want to put blame on providers...idk...