Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best network versus cost starting 2013
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best network versus cost starting 2013

natestammnatestamm Member
edited January 2013 in General

Need some help fellas. I have < six day* window to get a box up serving mail for one domain with at least 140GB of storage.

I could use some help for #1 Best network speeds and uptime for the past quarter to date, and #2 Cost, of course. Prefer OpenVZ.

I need some plans, links or just company shouts at this point. I am working on a solution with a company that to me, is the tops, and I'm sure they will come through.

But I am getting down to the wire on this project and I haven't gotten a promised Monday response yet after a few days of my order sitting pending.

So that's where I'm at, going to be trolling LEB tonight. Can anyone throw me some recent success stories I would love to hear about it!

Comments

• US/EU? Which region are your users coming from the most?

RAM? Bandwidth?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Well, we do qualify for good uptime and network, but we are not exactly known for storage size, if you know what i mean.
    I would recommend you getting a kimsufi for this.

• @Kenshin lots of US and some International. Transferring large art files, sharing projects, PSDs etc.

@Maounique you got me, I have never come across deals like this. Can you give me some background on what I have in front of me? Looking at the plans these seems to be streamlined dedicated offers. Looks really appealing. Thanks for turning me on to this.

• @natestamm Kimsufi's are the definition of budget. They are alright for what you are wanting but if you have anything go wrong with it...let's just say you better hope that doesn't happen.

• Apologize Kenshin, RAM isn't my biggest concern. Most plans at this level have more than enough for our purposes. If it helps the box I am comparing to is positive 2000MB on ram with positive 4000GB on bandwidth.

I could use some schooling here. The kimsufi plans look like they're giving straight network speed. What kind of allotment for monthly bandwidth goes into most dedicated offers? Please learn me. Thanks!

• @fizzyjoe908 what kind of contingency might they help with? I've worked with quite a few dedicated boxes from theplanet. When I had problems I usually had a reinstall available through my panel or a network reset for my box. Again please school me, do they at least have stable sources?

• What is your price point / budget? Something you haven't stated.

• @concerto49 would hate to throw a figure out there that would get me flamed .. are the initial details I'm looking for unreasonable at ~30 < a month? Storage space really seems to be the dividing line with most providers I'm checking out. But I plan on having this for a long time. And upgrade options would really be nice. Looking at longevity here-would be nice if I could begin that journey with this box at the lowest cost. But really I'm most concerned with having a stable network and a stable box.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited January 2013

@natestamm said: @concerto49 would hate to throw a figure out there that would get me flamed .. are the initial details I'm looking for unreasonable at ~30 < a month?

Storage space is an issue.

We do have Internap optimized bandwidth with redundant A+B network on the server itself in particular Texas server plans - meaning a 100% network SLA. However, the bandwidth does cost more. Won't be able to offer large bandwidth and/or RAM at low cost.

You can't have everything - stability / reliability - 100% SLA with little to no cost.

• Again my fault Kenshin I see the monthly limits. You guys are fantastic thanks for all the comments so far.

• KenshinKenshin Member
    edited January 2013

@natestamm I'll leave the rest to comment on Kimsufi, never used them but from what I've seen around here and WHT, great pricing and bandwidth, desktop hardware, network not so optimized but good enough for hosting use. Just remember to keep backups, lots of them.

If your users are mainly in USA, stick with USA hosting, the lowered latency will help transfer speeds and response. Practical recommendation, if your 2nd largest user group = Asia, host in west coast (SJC/LAX), if UK/EU, host in east coast (NY), if you don't really care about international, somewhere central US?

My personal recommendation would be BuyVM if you're looking at a VPS. I'm sure @Francisco can work something out for you. They have both west and east coast, and with his prices you can probably run one VPS at each location in a primary/secondary configuration.

• @concerto49 understood. Can't blame a guy for asking you know how it goes from my end. Storage space, ugh, You hit the nail right there. Network is important But I'm just looking to avoid days of downtime. My aim is more at avoiding any providers known for frequent problems. Again who doesn't want that right, But we do need the space and bandwidth for some breathing room.

• @Kenshin right on I have heard many good things about BuyVM. I don't think I have ever been a customer. Thanks!

• @natestamm said: Again who doesn't want that right, But we do need the space and bandwidth for some breathing room.

It's not a problem to offer that plan at the cost if you aren't looking for those 100% SLAs.

I would avoid BuyVM in SJ just for now since they are moving to Las Vegas in a few days. You don't want to be moving again and again.

I would contact a few short listed host on their sales department for a custom quote based on your needs. Talk to them and work out a plan.

• BK_BK_ Member
    edited January 2013

@natestamm said: I have heard many good things about BuyVM.

+1 for BuyVM, but as @concerto49 said: there'll be ~a day of downtime at the end of this week due to the move. Their NY location is unaffected though as far as I know.

• @concerto49 very good. And I'm glad you and others are pointing out a custom plan. I think perhaps given these needs spending too much time trying to find a VPS that works might not have been the best starting point. What kind of pains could you share from experience upgrading VPS resources versus dedicated? Sorry to go off topic, soaking all this up!

• @natestamm said: What kind of pains could you share from experience upgrading VPS resources versus dedicated? Sorry to go off topic, soaking all this up!

On OpenVZ - provided the physical server has more resources - upgrading it is very easy and very little downtime.

A proper physical server will cost a lot more. I've had a Kimsufi. Network performance to USA isn't that good.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2013

I do have quite a good bit of extra storage on our VPS nodes that is not being used. Meeting your budget should not be a problem for me. Network is with incero in Dallas Tx

2 Cores
    1.5Gb RAM
    150Gb RAID 10 Disk
    4Tb @ 1gbps
    $30

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Hello,
    We have not had a single second downtime since our opening approximately four months ago.
    Our VPS7 has 140GB of storage, and uses OpenVZ.
    http://unmanagedservers.net/cart.php

• BK_BK_ Member

@natestamm said: What kind of pains could you share from experience upgrading VPS resources versus dedicated?

Upgrading VPS resources is, in my opinion, much easier. Generally all you've got to do is submit a ticket to your provider and upgrade your plan to the next tier (most of the time there's even an automated system) or figure out a custom plan. There's normally no downtime associated with this. In terms of scaling requirements based on demand, a VPS is the way to go.

With a dedicated server upgrades can take days depending on the provider, and more times than not will require downtime - it's actual removal/installation of hardware, not the click of a button to move unallocated resources :P

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2013

I've got a lot of unused space in Lenoir, NC in Dacentec datacenter. I'll make this one time offer and you can open a presales ticket and message me here to confirm that it's you, if you want it.
    2 CPU cores
    1024mb ram, 512mb vSwap
    150GB
    1TB @ 1Gbps
    $10/m

With this system, RAM is limited. This is prior to our recent standardization of server specs. Storage and bandwidth are also limited, but I can spare them more than ram. I basically can't sell out storage before I sell out memory.

Up to you, just making the offer. We're losing accounts on this node rapidly, for no specific reason other than they just don't seem interested in the location. We aren't getting rid of it, but I can't sell my popular promos on it. Uptime has been 99.9%. Most days load average is 0.00 with about 15 people on it.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@BK_ said: +1 for BuyVM, but as @concerto49 said: there'll be ~a day of downtime at the end of this week due to the move. Their NY location is unaffected though as far as I know.

Won't be a day :)

It's <8 hours to drive and i'll have 4+ people in each location helping move gear in and rack it.

If you're interested in our storage plans, we'll have 100TB worth of them available on the 21st.

Francisco

• @Francisco
    natestamm probably needs your 2GB OpenVZ + additional 100GB storage to make it 170GB. That should set natestamm back by $34.95/month. Or otherwise something similar on your new storage nodes since it's used or email.

@natestamm
    You should talk to BuyVM and see if can hook you up with something. Proven provider with track record, a bit more than your budget but you do get 170GB of storage.

edited January 2013

@Kenshin said: 2GB OpenVZ + additional 100GB storage to make it 170GB.

Well, fun thing about that.

We're going to be bumping our 2GB OVZ to 180GB space to bring them more in line with the bang/buck ratio of our cheaper plans. This will be retroactive.

Our 1TB storage plans are also getting ramped to 1GB RAM retroactive :)

And thank you :)

Francsico

• @Francisco
    I'm pleased with your services, Aldyric is great too. Sadly will either be terminating or idling the VPS since I recently migrated to an anycast DNS platform.

• JTRJTR Member

@Francisco

Are any other OVZ plans going to see storage increases when you do this?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I still think a kimsufi will do well and they have North American presence.
    You run the risk of being shutdown in cases like DDoS or if they imagine something (or their automated system does), but pay for 1 month all the time and wont have much to lose. The same risk is applied to many other providers, for some even higher than in case of OVH.

edited January 2013

@JTR said: @Francisco

Are any other OVZ plans going to see storage increases when you do this?

512's will increase to 60GB and 1GB's will increase to 120GB.

Francisco

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited January 2013

@Francisco said: Francsico

Always thought this was a signature, seems like you type it all the time :P