Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggest a framework for a web app - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggest a framework for a web app

13»

Comments

• afterSt0rmafterSt0rm Member
    edited January 2016

@raindog308 said:
    specialized inventory (of software & config & such), mixed with financial data, monitoring, etc.

I would use CodeIgniter or Laravel with Gorecery CRUD. I have some experience with it and don't have anything bad to say about. I personally prefer CI3 over Laravel but Grocery CRUD will work with the two.

@raindog308 said:
    I want the app to do is have basic create/update/delete/modify/etc. functions and reports.

Grocery CRUD has all this functions built in. Just take care of your DB model.

For the client side, you can use anything you want. On the majority of my CI3 projects I use Simplicity for templating and a simple Bootstrap template to make a pair with the Grocery CRUD Bootstrap Theme.

I really like the AdminLTE 2

EDIT:

Material Admin and Remark are cool, material design ready and I think you should like then too (but not free).

Thanked by 1Leechum
  • @aglodek said:
    Okay, obviously, I have no idea what you just said means ;) What's "jit"? What do you mean by "async" (asynchronous) and why is this better than php?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-in-time_compilation

And I don't really wanna further discuss this subject as it's prone to start very heated arguments.

Next time try to use google.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • NikkiNikki Member
    edited January 2016

Someone mentioned Paste.ee earlier in the thread, so I thought I'd chime in a bit late here :P

It uses Laravel 4.2, and the performance is pretty damn decent for the amount of extras you get, and you get a lot of features. With Laravel 5/5.1/5.2, you can use it with HHVM/PHP7 out of the box, and it's pretty well guaranteed that unless you do silly things that'd make it segfault/error, you aren't going to run into issues. Using it with HHVM has brought some of Paste.ee down to ~ 10-20ms page generation time on the beta.

Overall, Laravel is a great choice due to it's amount of features, the amazing Eloquent ORM, compatibility, standards, and attention to detail.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

deadbeef said: WordPress (I'm not joking).

Holy crap, dude, I just did that.

• I happen to own Divi + Divi Builder, so built a quick WP site with that. This was the "make it look halfway decent" part. Could really have used any theme or BeaverBuilder or anything.
    • WP handles user login, access control, etc.
    • Bought GravityForms ($39) and built some easy forms. They look good enough. Competitors are Formidable Pro and NinjaForms. I forget why I didn't like Formidable; NinjaForms was too expensive and GF did everything I need in the most basic package and there were some things Ninja free didn't.
    • When submitted, I have a hook that takes my data and does all the business logic. It's just a PHP hook that's called after form submitted, but of course all the data is also in the MySQL DB for access so I could go off that as well.
    • all forms, reports, etc. are just pages or widgets - either custom PHP code, or pasted-in JS to pull data from anywhere

Amazing.

I cringe to say I've "written an app" this way but...well...it's an app that is doing what was intended, so I guess I did.

Still some kinks to work out (for some dropdowns, I want GF to select from a list in the DB) but so far, so awesome.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @raindog308 I was going to check if you have updated your blog but it looks like your site is down.

• raindog308.com uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is only valid for the following names: webpwc008.z1e.net, www.webpwc008.z1e.net (Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)

@GM2015 said:
    raindog308.com uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is only valid for the following names: webpwc008.z1e.net, www.webpwc008.z1e.net (Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)

Thank you, sir. I didn't create a new cert...but now that I think about it...it's just my blog so no real need for https. Sig fixed!

dnom said: @raindog308 I was going to check if you have updated your blog but it looks like your site is down.

Should have been up...my crude monitoring didn't show anything but now I've put @NodePing on the case.

Thanked by 1NodePing
  • @raindog308 said:
    Holy crap, dude, I just did that.

I'm a professional developer, i.e. my job is to minimize my work while maximizing my income - welcome to the club ;)

Thanked by 2raindog308 Rolter
  • I just found frappe erpnext is based on it and it's really working nicely. still doing testing. It's A full-stack web framework based on Python and Javascript frappe.io

• Always appreciate more sarcasm. Keep up the good work.

And wordpress is great, if you cut out many of its bloat.

raindog308 said: Thank you, sir. I didn't create a new cert...but now that I think about it...it's just my blog so no real need for https. Sig fixed!

• RolterRolter Member
    edited January 2016

@deadbeef said:
    I'm a professional developer, i.e. my job is to minimize my work while maximizing my income - welcome to the club ;)

That is an efficient way of using your time .

Thanked by 1deadbeef

@GM2015 said:
    Always appreciate more sarcasm. Keep up the good work.

I wasn't being sarcastic...I genuinely appreciate the note, decided not to pay $9/yr for https, and fixed my LET sig...?

Thanked by 1GM2015