Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggest a framework for a web app - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggest a framework for a web app

Comments

• @sman said:
    Nobody mentioned the most important thing ...SEO.

SEO is more about the good practice, I personally think it is framework-agnostic.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

Django and Flask are great but not great for cPanel and such.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

ericls said: Django and Flask are great but not great for cPanel and such.

Interesting...why?

• My favorite is Yii2. Its simple, well designed, and just makes sense to me. It is bundled with bootstrap, UI classes, jQuery, command line interface, CRUD, REST API support, and is composer powered.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

@raindog308 said:

If you have lots of dependencies, things can get messy if you use cPanel.
    Also, uwsgi and gunicorn are the ways that are recommended to run python web application.

• IPython/Jupyter notebooks are good for quickly throwing out small web-apps. Maybe you can combine JupyterHub and Bokeh to get some nice widgets. Bit heavy on resources.

If you want a lighter/low-level framework, I have heard good things about CherryPy

• Like @pcfreak30 said, Yii2 is a great option. It's got everything you need in one box.

If you're doing an API + JS UI, then Fat Free Framework is great for the (PHP) API. I don't do frontend, so I'll defer to others on that.

• Is lavarel OK for making an API in PHP to use with smartphone apps?

• I prefer yii2 as well, easy to learn, have everything, and well documented.

• Django-admin(built into django) might be your quick UI prototyping tool if its just a CRUD app for internal use.

The django ORM will abstract away the database.

You can (theoretically) switch databases at will, if you go with the ORM calls instead of writing pure SQL. (I'm guessing this is not a 10k users app)

Else, if you want to get all architecture-astronaut-ey, define a REST api and data model in design docs, quickly implement it in django+djangoRESTframework OR flask .

Then have all your future user, mobile facing applications talk to your data layer strictly through the REST endpoint.

Go with the most conservative tech choice for the layer closest to the database layer.

Most importantly, use a real database: postgresql (or oracle if you have it running )

• @vimalware said: (...) Most importantly, use a real database: postgresql (or oracle if you have it running )

And why exactly does postgresql qualify as a real database, as opposed to, say, MariaDB...?

vimalware said: Most importantly, use a real database: postgresql (or oracle if you have it running )

Dude, I'm an OCP :-)

aglodek said: And why exactly does postgresql qualify as a real database, as opposed to, say, MariaDB...?

Maria is relational, but only because MySQL was dragged kicking and screaming to ACID.

The pre-Sun/pre-Oracle MySQL devs were complete idiots who should be put to sleep for the good of humanity. They made idiotic comments about how you didn't need ACID and they didn't understand why everyone was so upset.

I mean, InnoDB was an add-on. MyISAM is fine if your data isn't important but it doesn't even support transactions. And basic, core features that other RDBMSes have had for years (e.g., stored procedures, triggeres, etc.) were not introduced into MySQL until...4.x? 5.x?

Frankly, the MySQL story is a very long, sad tale of silently lost data, syntax supported that does nothing (e.g., FOREIGN KEY in MyISAM), and other lameness.

Interesting that it was only when Oracle bought them that InnoDB was made the default. That should tell you everything you need to know about pre-Oracle MySQL.

I grant that MySQL 5.x and particularly recent versions is more on par with Pg. I would have no objection to running production on MySQL 5.5 or 5.6. But Pg is much more advanced than MySQL - I don't think anyone questions that. MySQL only exists because (a) it was faster to market and it has a big ecosystem, (b) it supported text search early on, and (c) its primary market (php devs) generally...well, php devs.

• My feeling for MySQL is: fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

• Laravel or NodeJS would be preferable. You can check out which suits your requirement.

• we are using yii framework which is very good in terms of performance and security - it has tons of extensions as well. You can use bootstrap with that for front end.

However, its all depend upon what do you want to develop

• I got a stomach-ache when I saw all the awfull crap frameworks being mentioned here. I do not believe anybody made anything worth something with crap like Laravel.
    Sencha is the way to go, and if you must do PHP use Yii2.

• @Termiet said:
    I got a stomach-ache when I saw all the awfull crap frameworks being mentioned here. I do not believe anybody made anything worth something with crap like Laravel.
    Sencha is the way to go, and if you must do PHP use Yii2.

Oh, look, a Java sheepling amongst our midst.

Thanked by 1raindog308

Sencha looks sweet. Hiring my own PHP dev for the $5,000 it costs also looks sweet.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • I use Vaadin at work and really like it. If you know Java and don't want to touch PHP/HTML/CSS/JS its great for developing web applications. You can also easily add JS components if you need to and there are a ton of addons already available.

• Laravel 10/10 will use again

• angular + codeigniter/laravel if possible

Or even look into node.js, I prefer node.js over php anyday.

gsrdgrdghd said: I use Vaadin at work and really like it. If you know Java and don't want to touch PHP/HTML/CSS/JS its great for developing web applications. You can also easily add JS components if you need to and there are a ton of addons already available.

Yes, my employer uses that, too. It looks beautiful.

However, the more I think about it, the more I realize that I might want to open source at least one of these projects and php is nearly universal. I'll write up what I decided on in a bit.

• @Termiet said:
    I got a stomach-ache when I saw all the awfull crap frameworks being mentioned here. I do not believe anybody made anything worth something with crap like Laravel.

Specifically, what is this objective "crap" you speak of?

• @Makkesk8 said: (…) Or even look into node.js, I prefer node.js over php anyday.

Okay. Why?

• @aglodek said:

Async and it's jit by default. should be pretty obvious.

• @Makkesk8 said: Async and it's jit by default. should be pretty obvious.

Okay, obviously, I have no idea what you just said means ;) What's "jit"? What do you mean by "async" (asynchronous) and why is this better than php?

• lewekleoneklewekleonek Member
    edited January 2016

Django is pretty good.

Did anyone say CakePHP - http://cakephp.org/ ?

Also by what you're saying about the app you're about to develop: how about checking out ODOO - community edition is free (it used to be called OpenERP): https://www.odoo.com/ ?

There are a lot of built-in community supported free modules, and the commercial ones are not that expensive.

lewekleonek said: Did anyone say CakePHP - http://cakephp.org/ ?

I was under the impression that CodeIgniter and CakePHP had kind of been overpowered by Laravel. I see both are still actively maintained.

lewekleonek said: Also by what you're saying about the app you're about to develop: how about checking out ODOO - community edition is free (it used to be called OpenERP): https://www.odoo.com/ ?

Oh yeah, I've heard of that...I will check them out. Thanks.

• +1 for Phalcon PHP & Angular...

Ive used several php frameworks and really like Phalcon PHP for it speed, resource usage and CRUD. It also uses less resources than Laravel and the benchmarks are really good for a framework.

Its worth checking out https://phalconphp.com/

Thanked by 2raindog308 Jonchun