Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Someone is copying my website - Advice please
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Someone is copying my website - Advice please

I have a website http://truequickweightloss.com and i have come to know that someone has put an exact copy of my website at http://www.crazefor.com . I am amazed that how they are doing this and bewildered too.

I have contacted the host. But what can i do to block this on my side to block this domain from fetching content from my site. Looks like it is totally hotlinked and is also stealing my bandwidth too.

Any advice what i need to do. The website is hosted on a VPS with Tuxlite script. How can i disable that domain from stealing my content.

Comments

• Report it to google. They had an URL for reporting copied / duplicated content.

• If you want to prevent people stealing the css and java script, than your out of luck because if they can't get it the browser can't open it.

Thanked by 1shell
  • Use firewall on your VPS to block the ip for crazefor.com?

• @rajprakash said:
    Use firewall on your VPS to block the ip for crazefor.com?

Utterly pointless.

• Seems to be hosted by Choopa. Send them a DMCA takedown notice.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • masterqqq said: If you want to prevent people stealing the css and java script, than your out of luck because if they can't get it the browser can't open it.

Well technically, if you pre-process the CSS onto the page, it'll be a pain in the balls to extract.

• @tehdan said:
    Utterly pointless.

I wouldn't say pointless. Perhaps ineffective? However, in cases like these often the site duplicator won't care enough to try getting around the new restrictions OP can place. E.g. stopping hotlinking, blocking the IP of the duplicated site (assuming it automatically fetches the content from the same server), etc. Yes, it's easy to bypass, but is the creator of the duplicated site really going to play catch-up and fix his site every time the OP changes something to try stopping the copied content, or is he just going to find an easier victim?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2016

Take a look into the Webserver files, try to figure out which IP is accessing your site regulary and often. block them with iptables. Also as said before, drop them a Abuse.

• tehdan said: Utterly pointless.

How so? Assuming the plausible scenario where the content is retrieved using a simple cron wget on the target webserver system, blocking that IP would stop the fetch. At least until the thief tries something else...

• That cake looks...uhggh!

• It's your time, feel free to waste it :) it will at best slow them down until they realise what you've done.

Out of interest do your logs show any accesses from the IP that's serving your copied content? No guarantee they scrape from the same server.

• emreemre Member, LIR
    edited January 2016

What if both sites belongs to op and trying to drive more visitors to his sites.

probably yes.

op already have a website in his signature:

hxxp://howtomakeawebsiteonline.com/ to drive traffic to another site

hxxp://internetmarketertoday.com/how-to-drive-more-customers-to-your-website/

lol, all link clickers, you are all scammed! and fooled!

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited January 2016

@emre said:

Damn. I didn't actually even click the links. Anyone want to do some research on that?

Edit: I just did a quick whois on all 3 domains. It seems both the domain he claims is his and the domain in his sig use his real name (also the same name of the author in his blog) while the domain he claims is copying his content is hosted at a different registrar and uses a whois privacy service. So far nothing fishy there.

• reported to Google. But what exactly is happening. What he is doing technically?

• upload a shell file to your server, and let them copy it.

then you enter and delete all, gain root, etc..

taraaan

• Can i not have more than one websites? I still maintain one site in my signature. the other one is pointing to the other site in signature. Sorry but that was not helpful at all.

@emre said:
    What if both sites belongs to op and trying to drive more visitors to his sites.

probably yes.

op already have a website in his signature:

hxxp://howtomakeawebsiteonline.com/ to drive traffic to another site

hxxp://internetmarketertoday.com/how-to-drive-more-customers-to-your-website/

• @usmaan said:
    reported to Google. But what exactly is happening. What he is doing technically?

No one can tell you. That's the problem. There are many ways for him to be stealing content. The best you can do is disable hotlinking, report it to google, send a notice to their host (Choopa as someone else mentioned), and wait.

@dedicados said:
    upload a shell file to your server, and let them copy it.

taraaan

That awkward moment when it backfires and the content stealer roots your server.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • Jonchun said: That awkward moment when it backfires and the content stealer roots your server.

hahahaha, xD

can happen..

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@dedicados said:
    upload a shell file to your server, and let them copy it.

taraaan

• not a good idea? then...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Fixing hotlinking is easy and fun:

1. copy your images to new names

2. edit your HTML to point to new names

3. copy goatse to your old image names

• @usmaan

There is a way better option:
    They are pulling in images from your server, i.e. they link to your images: http://truequickweightloss.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/eating-fast-food-298x248.jpg

meaning you can edit your theme and start using i.e. eating-fast-food-298x248-new.jpg then edit eating-fast-food-298x248.jpg and make it read: "this site is an illegal copy of: YOUR SITE"

hence every visitor they receive will see this :-)

P.S. You should still report them and get rid of them as that is duplicate content and Google might punish you for it.

P.S.S. You asked how they do this, I assume they used one of the tools one uses for this, i.e. there are a few plugins for wordpress that pull in your feed and publish it on the remote site. i.e. google: FeedWordPress wordpress plugin

• @raindog308 said:
    Fixing hotlinking is easy and fun:

1. copy your images to new names

2. edit your HTML to point to new names

3. copy goatse to your old image names

Why doesn't cPanel hotlink fix include this?

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • Thank you for the practical advice. How can i change image names of hundreds of images. And will it break images in my posts?

@Ovidiu said:
    usmaan

There is a way better option:
    They are pulling in images from your server, i.e. they link to your images: http://truequickweightloss.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/eating-fast-food-298x248.jpg

meaning you can edit your theme and start using i.e. eating-fast-food-298x248-new.jpg then edit eating-fast-food-298x248.jpg and make it read: "this site is an illegal copy of: YOUR SITE"

hence every visitor they receive will see this :-)

P.S. You should still report them and get rid of them as that is duplicate content and Google might punish you for it.

P.S.S. You asked how they do this, I assume they used one of the tools one uses for this, i.e. there are a few plugins for wordpress that pull in your feed and publish it on the remote site. i.e. google: FeedWordPress wordpress plugin

• This is the address from where they are doing.. Can someone please translate what it reads in chinese. Looks like chinese to me. http://64.237.60.115:8805/

• Another site is blog with agregator there are more then one method to solve this.
    Use Google

• usmaan said: This is the address from where they are doing.. Can someone please translate what it reads in chinese. Looks like chinese to me. http://64.237.60.115:8805/

They're using a crawler to steal content from your website, it's that simple.

• Use cloudflare, enable hotlink protection and setup firewall Access rules.

• Look, what I said, is to screw with them a little. If you need to ask how, its probably too much effort for you so simply go the way of complain to their host or report to Google: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/dmca-notice

@usmaan said:
    Thank you for the practical advice. How can i change image names of hundreds of images. And will it break images in my posts?

• pylodepylode Member
    edited January 2016

-rm -rf /post-