Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CVPS - Their solus / chicago location is down? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CVPS - Their solus / chicago location is down?

Comments

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited January 2013

Well, just saw in my logs (wasn't active at the time) but yep its there.

Edit: Here it is (atleast this part). If anyone wants the full log (3/4 days worth of raw log) I can provide that :P

http://paste.ee/p/Vfjnq

• Where's that?

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited January 2013

@Voss said: So why did Liam say it was spoofed and then closed the thread?

He asked Chris only I presume to verify, so i guess other people on IRC at that time PM'ed him to confirm it wasn't spoofed.

I was also there on IRC at the time and in no way faked.

• Chris lying again? No way, lol.

• @appolo15
    they're "winning"... apparently

• @japon said: Thanks! Well, another provider on my 'Do-not-make-contract-with'-list.

I noticed this like 6 months ago or something...

• Well, I edited out the IP and the rdns from my own logs.

• Can we get a statement from @CVPS_Chris regarding this incident?

• Who cares what his PR spin on it is? He said what he said, then got caught lying trying to cover it up and slandering an upstanding member of the community.

• Received this Network Maintenance alert from them, couple of hours back. >>

` Dear Valued Client,

This is a service advisory notice from ChicagoVPS. Our records show you have one or more VPS residing on the following nodes:

CHI-VPS56, CHI-VPS55, CHI-VPS54, CHI-VPS53, CHI-VPS52, CHI-VPS51, CHI-SSD-VPS1

The aforementioned nodes will be offline for about 30-60 minutes on Monday 1/14/13 due to a switch replacement, we will be upgrading our network capacity in the cab these servers reside on and as a result it requires a more powerful switch to support this.

The switch replacement is planned for 1/14/13 between 12PM to 1PM EDT, we anticipate the downtime to be less than 30 minutes however we are going to allow the maintenance window up to 1 hour as a precaution. We apologize for any inconvenience caused, however we believe you will find the improved network to be worthwhile. We are notifying you ahead of time so you may plan accordingly.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited January 2013

Who's this... "upstanding member of the community"..?..? :X

@NickM said: slandering an upstanding member of the community.

• @Jacob said: Who's this... "upstanding member of the community"..?..? :X

I'm guessing he means @Zigara since @CVPS_Chris accused @Zigara of faking chat logs.

• FlapadarFlapadar Member
    edited January 2013

No offence to him, but I think he overreacted. If a node goes down and the monitoring system also happens to be down, there's nothing to SMS you while you sleep. Unless you have staff awake 24/7, you aren't going to know (I don't know about you Zigara, but I don't have a habit of SSH'ing in my sleep)

There's no need to insult people because of an honest mistake. Infact, there's no need to insult people on either end of this conversation...

Edit: Infact, looks like they did have someone awake; who then contacted their upstream provider.

• @Flapadar said: No offence to him, but I think he overreacted. If a node goes down and the monitoring system also happens to be down

That's why you normally have multiple monitoring systems. Don't think it's an excuse. Also people did raise tickets and I think people are more upset over how long it took to resolve and Chris' response - not that the monitoring system missed it.

edited January 2013

@concerto49 I'm not saying they handled it well - i'm just saying there's no benefit of getting pissy and insulting them over it.

Mistakes happen. Now Chicago might get a second monitor.

• Nagios has already been mentioned before. It's more accurate than pinging-services as well, since it doesn't just monitor network availability (or network availability for a specific route).

Pingdom is a useful tool, if used in conjunction with others.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2013

@Zigara said: 10:24 < ChicagoVPS> I just stated, even if I KNEW it was down

10:24 < ChicagoVPS> I COULDNT FIX
    10:24 <@Zigara>; 'not my problem' lol
    10:24 < ChicagoVPS> It wasnt my problem
    10:24 < ChicagoVPS> it was upstream

I could play the "mature" card and not comment on something that doesn't concern me, but I won't watch another provider dragged through the mud for nothing. If Chris says he couldn't solve the problem by knowing about it, you guys are splitting hairs for nothing. If he says the issue falls solely in the hands of whoever should be monitoring the datacenter itself (which I would easily consider upstream to be in this case), you can't prove otherwise, and he was better off sleeping.

If you want to complain about him lying about chat logs, that's legitimate, but really more of a complaint against his personality than anything.

Let me know when he makes a real mistake and I'll quietly sit in the corner. This doesn't look like that day. I know a lot of you are ready to jump on his case at the first chance you get, and you've had plenty, this one feels forced.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited January 2013

@jarland This is just a taste of @zigara at his best.

(Where are the real moderators hiding?)

• Wow people just like to complain and hound fuckers on here. I thought about becoming a LEB provider forget it. Just too much bitching from chicken heads over things you cant control sometimes! @Jarland i totally agree with what your saying.

• DeanDean Member
    edited January 2013

Yup, I feel the same. It's yet another witch hunt, which is why I requested it got closed way back before, but then was re-opened.

I put the ticket in the minute I got notification; I have uptimerobot as well as hyperspin that let me know when things go screwy (I don't rely on one provider). It was probably me that notified them they had a problem through the ticket I placed (which is what I think he virtually says in his chat)...

Anyway, I'm pretty much getting used to late replies from CVPS; whenever I put in an urgent ticket in UK morning, I don't really get a response till late afternoon which is US morning. My urgent tickets are only network/node downtime.

• I would normally never post logs like this, but after he tried to talk smack saying to 'get on his level', I decided it was worth letting the public know how he really is. I personally would never want service from a provider with someone with such twisted views as Chris.

The conversation could have been completely normal and mature but instead he decided to start insulting me due to his negligence.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited January 2013

The main topics in this thread seem to be:

1. People complaining about @Chris's behaviour (on IRC and here)

2. People complaining about people who complain about the downtime

However i couldn't find a single post actually complaining about the downtime.

edited January 2013

@Zigara it could have been a completely normal and mature conversation if you hadn't started making snide remarks.

"10:20 < ChicagoVPS> its been down all night lol
    10:20 < ChicagoVPS> and morning
    10:20 < ChicagoVPS> I didnt even realize I had nodes down because of it!
    10:20 < ChicagoVPS> so I agree, pingdom needs to fix their shit
    10:21 < FreeSpencer> You dont have a backup notification system :o
    10:21 < ChicagoVPS> I did
    10:21 < ChicagoVPS> until Jeremiah left and I dont get those notifications lol
    10:21 < ChicagoVPS> I fixed that already but still
    10:21 <@Zigara>; you didn't notice a node is down all night and morning?
    10:22 < ChicagoVPS> nope
    10:22 <@Zigara>; pro"

He didn't start insulting you until after you were making sarcastic comments. If you wanted a mature conversation; you wouldn't have done that.

I'm sure now they'll get another monitoring system in place.

Case closed.

• @gsrdgrdghd I complained - which is why I opened the thread....

• @DeanClinton said: @gsrdgrdghd I complained - which is why I opened the thread....

You noted it is down, which isn't equal to complaining. And it certainly doesn't justify reactions like this one:

@ZinnVPS said: Wow people just like to complain and hound fuckers on here.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2013

@gsrdgrdghd It's more about reaction to him not knowing the node was down. That's what I was referencing as people jumping on his case. If I misread the scenario, my apologies.

• Well the irc logs shouldn't have made its way to the forum in the first place. Im just saying that taking it a little far. Everyone knows that chris is big headed asshole. But things happen and you cant do nothing about it. Point Blank! But you will do what ever you like. Im outtie 5000

• I think the downtime is fine and is a lesson learned.

Not sure about the lies.

• agree my nuts hurt now ;p lol

• @ZinnVPS said: Well the irc logs shouldn't have made its way to the forum in the first place.

Why? They are from the inofficial, public #Lowendbox IRC channel with 300 users or so.