Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where's the line? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where's the line?

Comments

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited January 2013

@RobertJFClarke said: @Patrick Unlimited is a buzz word, used by people like me to sell more, in reality, the dedicated server that my hosting runs on is completely empty.

So I can store 1tb?

It's similar from what your saying, $1/gig is way to far. But unlimited disk is not?

On topic: People who claim CVPS going bankrupt, lol.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2013

If you sell something so excessive for so little that the only reason people buy it is that they can't pass up a good deal, then 1/100 of them actually use it, I could see how that could be profitable. We did the 2GB for $7 promo and most of them canceled not too long after, simply because they didn't really need it. I can't speak for CVPS experience, nor would I condone what I just suggested, but I could see how it would work. Add in termination and refund for the people who actually use it and you've got the most genius LEB scam to date because it doesn't involve running. Whoever takes that idea as encouragement, understand that your punishment will be severe ;)

(in no way am I suggesting that CVPS does what I just stated above)

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@Patrick Is my node oversold? No, not by a long shot. I don't have to offer unlimited hosting, but it sells more hosting. My TOS prevents anyone from overusing it, so I have no problems.

@RobertJFClarke said: I don't have to offer unlimited hosting, but it sells more hosting

Can't judge you. Anyone buying "unlimited" who honestly thinks they have no limits doesn't deserve to keep their money ;)

• in reality unlimited hosting is technically possible to a point. With the use of clustered systems and san's you can technically offere limitless space by adding more drives and more servers to the cluster.

• @RobertJFClarke

@Jarland

It's the same for most ISP's, they say 'unlimited streaming / downloading' but have a fairly extensive FUP which ratelimits you after X cap. OVH offer 'unlimited' but cap you once you hit a FUP allowance.

Buzzwords; depends on your target market.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited January 2013

@24khost said: unlimited hosting is technically possible to a point

"to a point" ruins the concept of unlimitedness :D

• the only real limit at the point I am talking about is the pipe. As I have said sans and clusters defeat the unlimited problems with disk space and the cluster does the cpu. So you should be pretty well taken care of.

• necsnecs Member
    edited January 2013

If I am allowed to combine them I would like 12 please, you can keep the other IP's I only need 1.

Only joking obviously but .. wow

• Assuming the node is 128GB RAM they can get 51 of those on it, which is $166/mo lets say they oversell this 2x they'd get $332 a month or $4k a year, probably profitable if you oversell it 3x

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2013

@Zen Until that you get those few bloody clients...

• They'd never oversell more than jollyworkshosting.com

• NHRoelNHRoel Member
    edited January 2013

@BradND said: Assuming the node is 128GB RAM they can get 51 of those on it, which is $166/mo lets say they oversell this 2x they'd get $332 a month or $4k a year, probably profitable if you oversell it 3x

ROI != profit. I am sure Chris mentioned somewhere that he don't need to worry about this as he has other businesses besides LEB that generates healthy profit.

@Zen said: More like 5-10x.. you'de be surprised how ballsy you can be with overselling.

Crazy. I get 50 people on a node and I start to sweat ;)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@biplab said: [root@host ~]# vzctl set 201 --ram 1024T --save

Where's the signup link?

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited January 2013

@DomainBop said: Their Black Friday special was only $1.25 per GB: ($2.50 per month for 2GB.)

From what I can tell the promo code for Blackfriday still works and that seems to be a better deal (30 per year for 2GB)

Code is 2GBYR

• @jarland and only 30% usage right?

@24khost said: and only 30% usage right?

All this time, Denver & Lenoir both sit at around 2-3GB ram used.

• that is what I thought

@jarland said: All this time, Denver & Lenoir both sit at around 2-3GB ram used.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited January 2013

Buffalo and LA are $39 annually but Chicago is $39 semi-annnually

• wdqwdq Member

I have used many of these 2GB VPS plans and for the most part they work well. Just like many other people I don't typically use all of the 2GB of resources on each VPS and I usually only keep each VPS for one billing cycle. So it makes sense that some companies like ChicagoVPS are able to pull off these plans.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

For all the haters out there that are jealous: No we are not going bankrupt, I just simply can do whatever I want to do.

Second, it was a typo. It was $39/6 months not a year. So those lucky people that got to order one for the year for a few hours, your lucky. Since then it has been changed to 6 month period.

• At least @CVPS_Chris got to defend himself. Nobody even bothered to let him know there was this thread, at least let the guy defend his actions. See it was a typo.

• I wasn't having a go, it just seems 'silly' that you'd offer something that low priced for such a high specification.

@eastonch said: I wasn't having a go, it just seems 'silly' that you'd offer something that low priced for such a high specification

Funny part is, I could still offer the year if I really wanted to. Maybe some day soon

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Well, 39$ per six months, equals to 6.50$ per month. Considering they are selling 2GB for 7$ per month (not on yearly basis), this deal is not something so extra-ordinary for them.

• @CVPS_Chris

If it's all profitable, why not just charge us the IP price and give us the node VM free?

If it's all profitable, why not just charge us the IP price and give us the node VM free?

Not really sure how this applies?

• @Zen said: GJ for opening a thread about your competitor and accidentally making him think about undercutting you ;}

I was wondering to, it quickly became a thread where people asked for url to order and gained few orders.