Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Expansion with 12 new DC's - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Expansion with 12 new DC's

Comments

• sinsin Member

Yessss, I need that Ashburn location

• @WSCallum said:
    I'd imagine that the locations which are more expensive to operate won't be available through Kimsufi, it'd be in their best interests to limit Asia/AU to OVH services, and perhaps SYS.

That's what I think aswell.

• I can't wait for the sg location.

• @ChairHosting said:
    OVH just destroyed the Internet with its low prices, I wonder how much bandwidth in Asia though

That probably won't happen, SYS is sill a maybe. How are you going to provide a server in SG at this price.

all of the datacenters will run on the same network, meaning all the servers will provide the same bandwidth, so the only way the new locations would not have unlimited bandwidth, is if they get rid of the unlimited bandwidth on their ca and fr locations which is highly unlikely. as of currently, there are no plans for dedicated servers, other then their gaming range. they may never added dedicated servers, or delay them for quite some time, as their new locations will be much smaller then their current ca and fr locations.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@kstar3 said:
    all of the datacenters will run on the same network, meaning all the servers will provide the same bandwidth

yeeeeaaaa, riiiiiggghhttt... plz go back to school

• @exception0x876 said:
    yeeeeaaaa, riiiiiggghhttt... plz go back to school

go ahead, prove me wrong, I would love to see that

• Talk to @lewissue.

kstar3 said: go ahead, prove me wrong, I would love to see that

Thanked by 2netomx Amitz
  • smansman Member
    edited January 2016

OVH doesn't excite me but they might put some downward pressure on pricing in places like Singapore. So they might actually serve a purpose for me for once.

• Queue the cars hitting poles to take down OVH fiber in 12 new locations!

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

I guess a KS1 in Sydney or Asia will not happen.

• Lets hope they fix their DDOS protection in the new locations as well, having dedis at reasonable prices that can tank a total of 500 Gbps (global) would be awesome.

• @rds100 said:
    Why is it signed by Octave? I thought he is no longer in charge.

@hawc said:
    He is still CTO

Plus he still owns the company, so ultimately he's still very much in charge. He just gets to focus on what he wants to do now, which seems to be tech instead of business.

• Big name comes into a limited/exclusive market, drives down costs and those overcharging have to compete. Why do people hate competition?

Free markets and capitalism hard at work.

Thanked by 1Kris
  • Partially saddened that I'll need to cancel a Kimsufi or two in their BHS datacenter, but looking forward to having one much closer to where I'm located on the west coast.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited January 2016

@linuxthefish said:
    I wonder how existing Australia and SG server providers will manage

You mean those extremely expensive rip off companies over here? Those? They'll be shitting themselves..

Truth is us "Aussies" are used to being ripped off for almost everything, so we just go with the flow and pay up to get what we need... Or want for that matter.

[Edit] spelling mistake...

• Looks like it's goodbye to online.net, hetzner and leaseweb!

• FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited January 2016

Gulf said: Looks like it's goodbye to online.net, hetzner and leaseweb!

I doubt that, OVH still has a bullshit support and can't create any custom quotes for enterprise customers, right?
    Also there are many customers that don't want to deal with a foreign hosting company.

• @Frecyboy said:
    OVH still has a bullshit support

They are smarter than you think ;) and started to provide Live Chat support for the US visitors.

• OVH isn't perfect but their attractive IP address pricing is what swayed me when I was paying $50/mo for a /24 and other providers were slowly increasing as high as $100-175/mo making the one time $3 setup fee look like nothing over a long term.

• GulfGulf Member
    edited January 2016

I think Ashburn would be the best location to serve visitors worldwide.
    Hope cheap oil price will help them to built all dcs faster.

• I wonder how much the other DCs in the US will effect BHS sales, because most people picked the DC purely because it was the only DC in the NA region.

• HaxHax Member
    edited January 2016

Gulf said: They are smarter than you think ;) and started to provide Live Chat support for the US visitors.

I thought it was supposed for Sales Department.

• @Sixell said:
    I thought it was supposed for Sales Department.

Haven't tried, but it is a great step for such budget provider.

• Portland seems odd, Seattle or San Francisco could be better.

• rds100 said: Why is it signed by Octave? I thought he is no longer in charge.

He is CTO and owns a large part of the shares (along with the family), the investors also seem to like him for some reason.

The interesting thing for me here is not really that OVH goes into remote markets (these are stable and business friendly countries after all) but rather that this also means OVH will now buy a large chunk of transport on existing submarine cable systems and is on good track to be a large customer on the new systems (US<->AU/Asia) - Time to buy some Alcatel shares it seems.

• @PetaByet said:
    Portland seems odd, Seattle or San Francisco could be better.

San Francisco would be extremely expensive relative to most other locations. Rent there alone doesn't go under $1k, imagine trying to acquire property to build a datacenter, dealing with all the additional fees and taxes alongside the construction.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Pwner said: Portland

It probably wont be Portland itself but outside of Portland. Plenty of good deals on land, power and state/city incentives to be had.

• @MarkTurner said:
    It probably wont be Portland itself but outside of Portland. Plenty of good deals on land, power and state/city incentives to be had.

Quoted the wrong part haha, I'd assume it would be much cheaper in places like Portland in comparison to San Francisco. I'm sure OVH will most likely end up building it in either Oregon, Washington, or Nevada. California isn't exactly a "business-friendly" state anymore.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner