Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommend me a sub-$200 netbook/laptop - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommend me a sub-$200 netbook/laptop

13»

Comments

• edited January 2016

I purchased a L540 which works like a charm .
    I don't know it's price nowadays. It was purchased in sep 2014 refurbed for 600 via eBay.
    If you need something that's not a mac ( not something I like or can pay ) then consider thinkpads .

• inthecloudblog said: It was purchased in sep 2014 refurbed for 600 via eBay.

600 what? Presumably some currency which is 30% of the dollar.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @KuJoe said:
    I really want a Chromebook but there's a lot of unknowns with it like if a USB to Ethernet adapter will work. Also the Microsoft RDP app for Android doesn't work in ChromeOS so that'll be a problem also.

There is a Chrome app voor RDP, might wanna check it out.

• Definitely recommend E6230, use them at work and definitely a good laptop from personal experience and I'm sure it'll meet your requirements

• Not sure why you're avoiding Lenovo. Ref. X220 would be a great choice.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @Sady said:
    Not sure why you're avoiding Lenovo. Ref. X220 would be a great choice.

It doesn't fit his requirements.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Sady said:
    Not sure why you're avoiding Lenovo. Ref. X220 would be a great choice.

I really like the Lenovo laptops people have mentioned but I have yet to find one that fits my requirements like @0xdragon said unfortunately. I'm still willing to consider one if somebody can recommend one that fits my requirements (and I'm flexible, but 2 hours of battery life instead of 4 is not going to work nor is 5lbs instead of 3lbs or 15.4" instead of 14").

• @KuJoe said:
    I really want a Chromebook but there's a lot of unknowns with it like if a USB to Ethernet adapter will work. Also the Microsoft RDP app for Android doesn't work in ChromeOS so that'll be a problem also.

You can switch to ubuntu or debian within chrome os using Crouton. You can also install ubuntu without chrome os underneath it but that doesn't work on every chromebook.
    As far as I know usb to ethernet adapters work :).

@louis_lau said:
    As far as I know usb to ethernet adapters work :).

Thanks, I might just pick one up to play around with before I replace my current netbook. :)

edited January 2016

If anybody has one of the following (the latest models), can you comment on the keyboard and trackpad? Some of the video reviews look incorrect for some so I want for first hand feedback (like the Stream 11 people are saying the keyboard is solid while at the same time they are pressing down on a key and the whole keyboard flexes pretty deep). Thanks!

HP Stream 11

ASUS EeeBook X205TA

Lenovo IdeaPad 100S

Acer Aspire One AO1

• @KuJoe said:
    If anybody has one of the following (the latest models), can you comment on the keyboard and trackpad? Some of the video reviews look incorrect for some so I want for first hand feedback (like the Stream 11 people are saying the keyboard is solid while at the same time they are pressing down on a key and the whole keyboard flexes pretty deep). Thanks!

HP Stream 11

ASUS EeeBook X205TA

Lenovo IdeaPad 100S

Acer Aspire One AO1

I have the X205TA and the keyboard and trackpad have both been excellent. The trackpad in particular is better than on my much more expensive laptop.

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • @Ole_Juul said:

Us bucks pal . 15 months passed since then .
    Now it has an 840 evo . Will add an extra 8 GB.

• inthecloudblog said: Us bucks pal . 15 months passed since then . Now it has an 840 evo . Will add an extra 8 GB.

OK, so just a little over $200. :)

@inthecloudblog The L540 is 15.4" and over 5.5lbs, not even close to my requirements.

• KuJoe said: not even close to my requirements.

That's what I'm finding so amazing in this thread. How could someone not know that 5.5lbs is more than 3lbs and that $600 is more than $200? The mind boggles!

I think it may boil down to different definitions of "close".

Thanked by 1netomx

This can be closed now, I got a refurbished ASUS K200MA-DS01T(S) which fit all of my criteria and has a touchscreen for only $10 more than my budget. :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Closing as requested.

This discussion has been closed.