Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Recommend me a sub-$200 netbook/laptop
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Recommend me a sub-$200 netbook/laptop

KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
edited December 2015 in General

UPDATE: Please stop suggesting Lenovo laptops since I have not found one that fits my needs. If you know of a model with at least 4 hours of battery life, under 3lbs, under 14" screen, and under $200 then let me know but so far all recommendations do not fit this criteria.

My current netbook is on it's last leg (the replacement keyboard is failing, the battery barely holds a charge, can't handle most video streaming, basic browsing of the filesystem is slow and laggy, etc...) so I'm looking to replace it with a cheap sub-$200 device that I can carry with me but I won't care if it gets broken or stolen.

What it needs to do:

  • Web browsing
  • Video playback (YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and recorded 1080p)
  • RDP to Windows servers

Requirements:

  • 10/100 Port (willing to use a USB to Ethernet adapter)
  • Have a battery life of at least 4 hours under normal usage
  • Less than 3lbs
  • Less than 14" screen
  • Less than $200 shipped (Paypal payment is a huge plus)

What I'm looking at:

  • Acer Aspire One Cloudbook 11
  • Lenovo IdeaPad 100s
  • HP Stream 11

Any suggestions or recommendation are greatly appreciated. I've been researching different devices for the past 2 days and still can't decide. I think I've narrowed down the processor at least but still not 100%, The Intel Celeron N3050 and Intel Atom Z3735F are at the top of my list but I'm seeing some cheap refurbs with i3/i5/i7s that would be overkill but more performance per dollar is better than an 8 hour battery life.

Thanked by 1rokok
«13

Comments

  • @KuJoe said:
    Any suggestions or recommendation are greatly appreciated. I've been researching different devices for the past 2 days and still can't decide. I think I've narrowed down the processor at least but still not 100%, The Intel Celeron N3050 and Intel Atom Z3735F are at the top of my list but I'm seeing some cheap refurbs with i3/i5/i7s that would be overkill but more performance per dollar is better than an 8 hour battery life.

    Honestly, I'd go for a refurb Lenovo Thinkpad as they're business grade and incredibly durable.

    You say it's overkill but it's well worth having the horse power if it's needed.

  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

    @IThinkUFailed Thanks for the suggestion, these weren't even on my radar and I'm seeing some under $200 on Newegg and under 13". :)

  • @KuJoe said:
    IThinkUFailed Thanks for the suggestion, these weren't even on my radar and I'm seeing some under $200 on Newegg and under 13". :)

    I managed to pickup a nice X201 with a 128GB Crucial SSD 4GB ram and i5 cpu for about £140 at the time... They've just been dropping a ton since then... Amazing little laptop and usually like 6 months warranty, some even a year. You can usually count on these things to chug along nicely for awhile.

    SSD was about 60 days power on time or so when I got it too. Sellers just buy the laptops for around $50 or so and just wipe the drive and install an OEM Windows I believe.

    If anything I'd make them high on your priority. They're quite weighty but they have a solid construction so it's worth the extra weight vs the other netbooks you can get.

  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2015

    Looks like it's right around the 3lbs mark but the battery life is showing as only 1-2 hours which won't for me because I spend quite a bit of time in a data center and don't want to be tethered while I'm in there.

  • IThinkUFailedIThinkUFailed Member
    edited December 2015

    @KuJoe said:
    Looks like it's right around the 3lbs mark but the battery life is showing as only 1-2 hours which won't for me because I spend quite a bit of time in a data center and don't want to be tethered while I'm in there.

    That might just be because of a used battery, could probably buy a replacement for a few bucks.

    Sent you a PM with some info :)

  • Do you know where they get it for that amount? Is that a bulk price/item for a wholesale order?

    How do you know that?

    IThinkUFailed said: Sellers just buy the laptops for around $50 or so and just wipe the drive and install an OEM Windows I believe.

  • +1 for Acer Cloudbook.

    Sleek design and good performance for the price. Also dropped it two times and still working.

  • @GM2015 said:
    Do you know where they get it for that amount? Is that a bulk price/item for a wholesale order?

    How do you know that?

    Usually work places or schools sell them off cheap afterwards - some even give them away. I've experienced this when I was in school several years ago. I never took one as I never needed a laptop and felt it better off to let the people who's families couldn't really afford it have them.

    I'm just guessing a round $50 a pop really, might be a little more than that though.

    Thanked by 1GM2015
  • The Asus X205TA is pretty good as well, no ethernet port though.

  • I take a look at some cheap refurbs or second hand Lenovo x220 ot T420

  • Loving the stream 11

  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

    @sdglhm said:
    +1 for Acer Cloudbook.

    @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Loving the stream 11

    How is the video playback for both of those? Do you do any Netflix or Amazon Prime streaming?

  • @KuJoe said:
    How is the video playback for both of those? Do you do any Netflix or Amazon Prime streaming?

    It's been fine for me. Had nothing else open tho

  • Love my new Lenovo Yoga 300. Works a charm and use it for all the things you mentioned. Plus it changes into a tablet, sort of.

  • @cassa said:
    The Asus X205TA is pretty good as well, no ethernet port though.

    It's a great laptop and very light, mine is running Debian 8 perfectly.

  • Don't use stream much to be fair I got a surface 3 as well. Stream is there if I need to multi task

  • KuJoe said: How is the video playback for both of those? Do you do any Netflix or Amazon Prime streaming?

    None of the above services works in Sri Lanka. However, I'm a heavy tutorial addict. Youtube FTW. Runs 1080p smoothly

  • @linuxthefish said:
    It's a great laptop and very light, mine is running Debian 8 perfectly.

    Could you please share a link?

  • DavidxDavidx Member
    edited December 2015

    @KuJoe said:
    Looks like it's right around the 3lbs mark but the battery life is showing as only 1-2 hours which won't for me because I spend quite a bit of time in a data center and don't want to be tethered while I'm in there.

    I highly recommend this one (X220) my battery life lasts a long time + you can buy a 9 cell pretty easy: X220

    I've been recommending it to all my neighbors, friends, family, etc and whoever gets one is always happy.

    I put a BX100 in mine and it runs so smooth. Mine came with 8gb of RAM since I bought it off an IT recycler on eBay so I got a little bit of a deal.

  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2015

    ratherbak3d said: Love my new Lenovo Yoga 300. Works a charm and use it for all the things you mentioned. Plus it changes into a tablet, sort of.

    Link to where you got one for under $200 shipped? I can't find it anywhere except Lenovo's website and they don't fall in the price requirement at all.

  • The X205TA is very good. i just bought one from tesco (UK Walmart type of store) for £129

  • NikkiNikki Member
    edited December 2015

    If you don't mind getting a refurbished laptop, I love my Lenovo T420.

    14" Screen, Sandy Bridge i5, and all those other goodies, plus easy to find batteries, chargers, and parts. It runs really well with 8GB and an SSD, too, if you wish to upgrade it a bit.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834319464

    Batteries:

    6-cell: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834985173

    9-cell: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834985174

    OEM Chargers are ~ $40 on Amazon

    On a side note, as mentioned above, refurbished thinkpads are easy to find and great. X2**s are also a great little laptop, but I've noticed a lot more problems with my dad's X201 than my T420.

  • I think Asus are bringing out a new x205ta model. That's quite a good netbook although I'd wait for the new one as the atom cpu isn't the best

  • netomxnetomx Member, Moderator

    Nikki said: If you don't mind getting a refurbished laptop, I love my Lenovo T420.

    I got one of this, amazing laptop for its price. I bought it for $175 USD

  • Edit e202 is their new eeebook

  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

    Thanks for all of the Thinkpad recommendations but I do not think that will work for me due to the battery life, size, and weight. It's a neat little laptop though, just doesn't fit my needs right now.

  • +1 X220 lenova get it if its refurbished it will be some what slightly higher price than your budget but its worth it 8+ hours battery life

    in india its rare to get the X220 but in USA u can get a refurbished easily

    Thanked by 1Kris
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

    @sc754 said:
    Edit e202 is their new eeebook

    That looks awesome but I can't find where to buy it in the US. The only place I can find selling it is for €279.99 which is way out of my price range.

  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

    @simonindia said:
    +1 X220 lenova get it if its refurbished it will be some what slightly higher price than your budget but its worth it 8+ hours battery life

    in india its rare to get the X220 but in USA u can get a refurbished easily

    No thanks. Not interested in a Lenovo.

This discussion has been closed.