Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostDark selling out - backup your data - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostDark selling out - backup your data

2»

Comments

• Time to see how long my $5 usd will stay up lol

• I did not even see this thread until just now, I am so sorry to everyone. This has been a hectic last few weeks. I am going to be 100% honest and tell everyone what happened. Firstly, I want to promise you it was not a financial situation, I made sure to have Host Dark and our data backed up in three different locations and with at least $2500 spare to always have in emergencies (used some of it in summer's emergency and in OVH BHS datacenter cuts). Now to the story, I currently am an 18 year old full time college student working at Publix Inc. in Florida. I invested all the money Host Dark made right back into Host Dark and its customers, rarely took any money out of it. I wanted to get a job in IT, and everywhere I applied, Host Dark was looked down upon; either due to it being a competitor of the company I applied for; or not being an actual corporate IT setting. I was accepted to my universities IT team to work some hours and also another IT position; both, on the condition that I am no longer the CEO of Host Dark. Originally, I was going to hand it off to my second man-in-charge, but all he knew was how to design websites. With three jobs, full time student status, and president of two clubs at school, I did not see that working. However, I wanted to make sure my clients received the best service, so I denied over 100 different offers because I did not trust them or they did not seem like they would take care of my clients. I was actually going to settle on not selling at all if no legitimate trusted offers came in before tomorrow (the 4th), but I received their offer, did some research, asked some questions, and everything seemed to fit. The buyer lives within a few hours of me and I have offered my hand in any and all problems, free of charge to help the clients even though I am not affiliated with Host Dark anymore.
    @jarland
    I said I was only saying I was selling it for an appraisal because I was deciding not to sell it at that time as it seemed no quality legitimate offers would come in, so I was preparing to advertise extremely before the semester started in a way to make the company make money automatically and I don't need to worry as much about my second in charge not advertising and the company failing. Sadly, I could not advertise if one of the main points of advertising was blocking me off for that.

WebbyTech does not advertise a significant amount as it seems they care mostly about retaining their current client base than gaining new ones, which I have no issue. You should always make sure you can take care of what you have before getting more. And I think most would agree with that. I will miss everyone in this and have enjoyed my time significantly here.
    If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Thanked by 3mpkossen rokok emg
  • AustinSHAustinSH Member
    edited January 2016

@JoeMerit
    @Traffic
    @Caster

@GM2015 said:
    "We love all of you" people are hypocrites.

How so?

• TLDR;
    $5/yr plan going to get refunded or
    are we able to keep it?

• All clients will be able to keep their services.

• jarland said: When a host says that in public, that's the best time to start backing up your data.

Agreed.

Haven't used either of them. But seems like Austin was doing a good job. Best of luck with your future.

• @sdglhm said:
    Haven't used either of them. But seems like Austin was doing a good job. Best of luck with your future.

I have backups everywhere, heck I have clients who have came back 7 months after their accounts were terminated and asked for a backup, and I still had it. I usually have backups up to a month on one server, and backups of the backup server up to three months, and then from there I usually keep a backup of the backup server once a year on my local storage permanently, so if any client ever needed a backup, I would have it. As many people in this industry know, backups are one of the most important things when working with data.

• 18 year 'ceo' oh kid. They always change their mind as fast as they eat fast food. No matter what they said they will do it again somehow, just likw our infamous gvh, etc.

Don't trust what he said (about backup), just backup your data and move to another host. If you want another drama, then stay there ;)

• @fanta8897 said:
    jarland
    I said I was only saying I was selling it for an appraisal because I was deciding not to sell it at that time as it seemed no quality legitimate offers would come in

All I'm hearing is it sounds like you wanted to make a few extra bucks applying for a LEB ad and you lied to @Jarland and by which, lied to everyone at LE* as an extension as you'd of used the same excuse in the comments.

Don't lie to customers, it's not fair to bullshit people like that. If somebody is going to buy the business then just be honest about.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • @IThinkUFailed said:
    Don't lie to customers, it's not fair to bullshit people like that. If somebody is going to buy the business then just be honest about.

We honestly were preparing to close off everything related to selling, we even asked WHT to remove the thread, and then we received an offer from a company that looked like they can actually accomplish this. I did not want to make a few extra bucks, I wanted to get Host Dark having a set recurring client base before handing it over to my second in charge who knew very little about advertising. I did not lie to my customers, I was not planning on selling it after the second day after the WHT post, and was not going to sell it at all until the offer came in, and emailed all clients immediately upon my decision.

@tommy

Who is "they"?

• @IThinkUFailed said:

As further proof, we just deployed an SSD node this past week (after posting the thread on WHT). If we were planning to sell, why would we have done that? I wanted everything stable for my second-in-charge so he would not have to add on any new servers or work on any configurations.

• @fanta8897 said:
    As further proof, we just deployed an SSD node this past week (after posting the thread on WHT). If we were planning to sell, why would we have done that? I wanted everything stable for my second-in-charge so he would not have to add on any new servers or work on any configurations.

Because of business needs most likely? You can't just neglect a business because you're going to sell it.

• @IThinkUFailed said:
    Because of business needs most likely? You can't just neglect a business because you're going to sell it.

We had 2% utilization in our KVM node, we did not have full utilization in our HDD node, but we still went ahead and got a new modern SSD node to allow for improvements this next few months. Nothing in our business needs warranted another node, especially an upgrade to SSD.

• @fanta8897 upgrade to SSD was not free, wasn't it? Your wanted to charge $2/m to $5/yr plan.

• @tenpera said:
    fanta8897 upgrade to SSD was not free, wasn't it? Your wanted to charge $2/m to $5/yr plan.

Correct, our SSD VPS's were on average about $4 more per month than our normal VPS's (for reasons including more bandwidth, better network peers, better drives, processor, etc), so we offered it at 2$/m to current clients who wanted to upgrade.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2016
  • @fanta8897 said:
    We had 2% utilization in our KVM node, we did not have full utilization in our HDD node, but we still went ahead and got a new modern SSD node to allow for improvements this next few months. Nothing in our business needs warranted another node, especially an upgrade to SSD.

OK so if nothing warranted the upgrade, you were just making shitty decisions?

I don't understand how spending a hundred dollars on a node for a month is "proof" that you never planned to sell. To me it looks more like a cheap attempt to artificially inflate the success of the business to prospective buyers.

Thanked by 1IThinkUFailed
  • @fanta8897 The sites are no longer responding

• @Jonchun said:
    looks more like a cheap attempt to artificially inflate the success of the business to prospective buyers.

Exactly my thoughts.

• Home page loads now but none of the content does (php etc). Is anyone currently hosting with HostDark? Are your websites still online?

I'm curious as to how it has ended?

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited February 2016

The website has been down for a while, but my 5$ VPS is surprisingly still online.
    So, has hostdark finally gone dark along with the 'company' that acquired it?

@AustinSH

Update 1: Looks like they never moved the newly acquired clients, servers and services over from HostDark.

Webby Enterprises, LLC,

Your email to our support system could not be accepted because it was not recognized as coming from an email address belonging to one of our customers. If you need assistance, please email from the address you registered with us that you use to login to our client area

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited March 2016

Just in -

Greetings!

After 60 days of investigating the viability of the HostDark brand, it has been determined that we will be shutting down the VPS node due to the financial state the node is in.

If you would like a VPS on the Webby Enterprises LLC infrastructure, please open a support ticket and we can provide a new VPS, however the hostdark VPS Node will be shutting down March 30, 2016.

*** PLEASE BACK UP YOUR DATA AS MARCH 30, 2016 THE SERVER WILL GO OFFLINE ***

If you have questions whether or not your account is involved with this, please contact us.

How exactly is one supposed to contact these guys without access to their ticket system?
    They have not moved the accounts details from HostDark over to https://www.webbytech.net/

Let us know if anyone figures this out.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Jarland, can you let me know the next Powerball numbers? I read AustinSH's reply that seemed genuine, but then the announcement today basically cancels out his replies. That sucks for all parties involved (except for Webby who obviously doesn't care about their clients so won't be bothered by this situation).

Thanked by 1jar
  • Lol

They do not intended to replace vps for old user

In previous email they said "please open a support ticket and we can provide a new VPS"

but when trying to contact them :

"Your email to our support system could not be accepted because it was not recognized as coming from an email address belonging to one of our customers. If you need assistance, please email from the address you registered with us that you use to login to our client area."

And there is no registration link on client area unles we order for new service

• AustinSHAustinSH Member
    edited October 2016

Unfortunately, after verifying all clients were working for 1-2 months after the sale, I stopped checking in with them. I apologize if any of you lost your services. On a side note, I did successfully attain a full time position as a network security engineer, and they confirmed my doubts that if I did not sell, they would not have hired me. I do plan in the future, when time allows, to bring back hosting as well as free or heavily discounted terms for any Host Dark clients that got closed out in the migration.

Thanks for your understanding.

• @AustinSH said:

Unfortunately, after verifying all clients were working for 1-2 months after the sale, I stopped checking in with them. I apologize if any of you lost your services. On a side note, I did successfully attain a full time position as a network security engineer, and they confirmed my doubts that if I did not sell, they would not have hired me. I do plan in the future, when time allows, to bring back hosting as well as free or heavily discounted terms for any Host Dark clients that got closed out in the migration.

No, please don't come back as a host.

As for webbytech, the owner can fuck right off with the pro rated refund he never sent out.

The hosting industry is better off without kids like you, or duplicitous twats like webbytech.

• @K4Y5 said:

@AustinSH said:

No, please don't come back as a host.

As for webbytech, the owner can fuck right off with the pro rated refund he never sent out.

The hosting industry is better off without kids like you, or duplicitous twats like webbytech.

other than selling out after 5 years, what was wrong?

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Entrepreneurs go all in and build a business. You on the other hand are not an entrepreneur. You're what's referred to as a pump n dump. You're not looking to build a business because if you were, you wouldn't be job hunting. You'd be working on building your business.

I'm with @K4Y5. Unless you plan on building a proper business, then don't waste your and other people's time. The world doesn't need more business owners like you.

Thanked by 2K4Y5 Pwner
  • @AustinSH said:

Way to necromance an old thread, pretty sure there's a rule against that. Other than that, I'm sure the community will appreciate making an effort to prevent you from recreating your antics that you did with HostDark.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I don't think constructive feedback is being offered here. I also don't think there's a conversation to continue in this thread.

Thanked by 1PrColo
This discussion has been closed.