Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is any provider hosting Redstar OS 3.0? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is any provider hosting Redstar OS 3.0?

13»

Comments

• @sdglhm said:
    Man... We've 1000's of students who're unable to purchase even a small pentium 4 computer. :\

:( that's sad. raspberry pi? not the best, but at least decent for simple computing tasks.

• theroyalstudent said: :( that's sad. raspberry pi? not the best, but at least decent for simple computing tasks.

Not even that for some students. We've also supplied computers from our own expense yet there's a hole to fill. Nowadays we're working on a RPi compact computer model. Hope to finish it soon so we could distribute it among those students.

Some areas don't even have GSM coverage. While some have 4G and fiber optics. Digital divide is pretty solid here. :(

• sdglhm said: Man... We've 1000's of students who're unable to purchase even a small pentium 4 computer. :\

There are so many perfectly good computers thrown out in North America. Actually, what I notice is that people get a new one after about 5 years, and leave the "old" one in the closet until it gets to be 10 years old, and then they throw it out. In schools, they only want really new stuff because they mistakenly believe that a good education cannot be had with an older one. It sickens me.

• @sdglhm said:
    Nowadays we're working on a RPi compact computer model. Hope to finish it soon so we could distribute it among those students.

That's a good thing to hear.

@Ole_Juul said:
    In schools, they only want really new stuff because they mistakenly believe that a good education cannot be had with an older one. It sickens me.

This is really true. In my previous school, they changed the computers in the lab twice in the course of 6 years, "because the government pays for it".

These computers aren't even heavily used, and were in almost new condition when they were being replaced.

• Yeah. Agree on that. We were working to bring some used computers (from donations) and fix them and give away to students. But we've faced some issues from our corrupt politicians and had to stop that project.

Sorry about hijacking your thread ! Back to your topic.

Haven't used RedStar but what I can see is highly edited KDE front end (That looks somewhat like MacOSX)

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • edited December 2015

@sdglhm said:
    Yeah. Agree on that. We were working to bring some used computers (from donations) and fix them and give away to students. But we've faced some issues from our corrupt politicians and had to stop that project.

Sorry about hijacking your thread ! Back to your topic.

Nah, I'm fine with it actually.

Haven't used RedStar but what I can see is highly edited KDE front end (That looks somewhat like MacOSX)

Yes, it looks much like OS X Mavericks (or older). I like how they actually just ripped off code from Fedora though. Maybe websites that host the source code should really block any IPs originating from North Korea? Haha.

• theroyalstudent said: Nah, I'm fine with it actually.

Thanks.

theroyalstudent said: Yes, it looks much like OS X Mavericks (or older). I like how they actually just ripped off code from Fedora though. Maybe websites that host the source code should really block any IPs originating from North Korea? Haha.

Only handful of NK have internet access. Look at the screenshot. i7 with 400MB or RAM. It would work on your old PC

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • North Korea leadership seems to describe the tale of a band of insane lunatics.