Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is any provider hosting Redstar OS 3.0? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is any provider hosting Redstar OS 3.0?

Comments

• @0xdragon said:
    theroyalstudent, any provider with custom ISOs should work fine :)

@simonindia said:
    Use Vultr with custom ISO

@hostnoob said:
    Vultr allows custom ISOs. $5 though

Thanks guys~

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited December 2015

@theroyalstudent said:
    Thanks guys~

Check out LunaNode if you want something a little cheaper :) (and better)

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • the real question is do you understand Korean ? because red star is only available in Korean ?

• @RockBeltHOST said:
    the real question is do you understand Korean ? because red star is only available in Korean ?

That doesn't matter, I would click on what looks correct. Just want to try it out, that's all

• @theroyalstudent said:
    That doesn't matter, I would click on what looks correct. Just want to try it out, that's all

can't you just run in your local machine or your friends ? (?_?)

• edited December 2015

@RockBeltHOST said:
    can't you just run in your local machine or your friends ? (?_?)

Monitored by my school, you're welcome :)
    I blocked all outgoing connection back to the school servers, but its not a long term solution for sure.

I wouldn't bother trying it on my friends', since the school would block VirtualBox afterwards (since they see what apps we use)

• @theroyalstudent said:
    I wouldn't bother trying it on my friends', since the school would block VirtualBox afterwards (since they see what apps we use)

damn didn't knew school this days monitored so much ? that's worst than NSA I guess

• Most schools do this, even with BYO devices.

• Best thing, they didn't even tell us they were doing that. I did tons of research, since I have sudo, found out what was happening, etc.

Leaked out all these info, plus removal steps (because the IT admin was incompetent as hell), and they almost took this as a reason to take me out from my multiple leadership positions.

It's basically incompetent people running a shady operation.

• Probably still has less spying features than Windows 10...

• Seems to me that the easiest way to go with trying a desktop OS like this is to put it on a free desktop. Surely it will run on a throwaway P4.

• @IThinkUFailed said:
    Probably still has less spying features than Windows 10...

Microsoft is more or less turning into apple. Buy for each addon which should have been a feature .

• @rockbelthost scammed me, don't buy

Thanked by 1Caster
  • @hello said:
    rockbelthost scammed me, don't buy

LOL bro i know who u r >.>

• hellohello Member
    edited December 2015

@RockBeltHOST said:
    LOL bro i know who u r >.>

im the the guy you scammed
    You said free hosting, you told me to pay!

nah just kidding

• @IThinkUFailed said:
    Probably still has less spying features than Windows 10...

Take a look:

http://www.jamfsoftware.com/products/casper-suite/

• Ever heard of disconnecting ;) ?

• edited December 2015

@sdglhm said:
    Ever heard of disconnecting ;) ?

Ever heard of experiencing the public internet like a North Korean? ;)

• @theroyalstudent, are you in India or? Because that is the first time I've heard of a school giving out Linux machines. Unless it's OSX.

• theroyalstudent said: Ever heard of experiencing the public internet like a North Korean? ;)

Just spin up it in your own VM. Using Virtual Box or what so ever. First disconnect your connection so it cannot ping back their mom ! After testing, destroy VM and re connect.

• edited December 2015

@0xdragon said:
    theroyalstudent, are you in India or? Because that is the first time I've heard of a school giving out Linux machines. Unless it's OSX.

Singapore. My website (in sig) says which school I'm from :)

MacBook Air for every student. Comes with Microsoft Office etc, whatever we need to do work collaboratively.

Now, bundled with spyware!

EDIT: We paid for it.

• @sdglhm said:
    Just spin up it in your own VM. Using Virtual Box or what so ever. First disconnect your connection so it cannot ping back their mom ! After testing, destroy VM and re connect.

True, but I don't need any traces of North Korean bs on my computer though, since its from my school :))

I might drag out my shitty AIO (i3 w/ 4GB RAM) and try, hope it works.

• theroyalstudent said: Ever heard of experiencing the public internet like a North Korean? ;)

Yes, I remember when I didn't use the internet.

Why you'd want to spin up an OS that will: make little to no sense or use to you, likely phones home to nefarious IPs, and has the usability of CloudFlare / LET's over-protective WAF filtering is beyond me, and likely a few others.

To each their own. Once done, delete that machine & IP quick. Be prepared to get a talking to from your ISP if they start to happy-slap the IP if the calls home weren't completely removed on the version you get.

If I was in DevOps, I'd probably md5sum the known ISO versions of Red Star and pop a trade sanction notice when it was being tried to mount & a ticket open for billing to review the account associated with such. Just shady.

• It would surely work. Seems like it's pretty low spec hungry OS. (Check Wiki page screenshot)

• Are you only allowed one computer in Singapore?

• @Ole_Juul said:
    Are you only allowed one computer in Singapore?

Nope. I don't have the money right now to get another computer right now, though.
    Saving up :)

I have another computer that runs on Ubuntu / Windows 10, but its pretty slow.

@sdglhm said:
    It would surely work. Seems like it's pretty low spec hungry OS. (Check Wiki page screenshot)

I see. Will check that sooner or later. Thanks.

• theroyalstudent said: Nope. I don't have the money right now to get another computer right now, though. Saving up :)

I think there must be lots of people who throw away their old computers in Sinagapore just like in Canada. I use free computers for secondary stuff. They're only slow for certain tasks, and of course I don't use them for that. General desktop Linux runs fine and fast enough on really old computers - I know from experience. :) Anyway, we all have different tastes.

• @Ole_Juul said:

My AIO (HP Pavilion 20") runs just fine on Ubuntu actually, I installed all my dev stuffs on it, but then abandoned it because:

• WiFi sucks big time (only n, my home network is capable of ac)

• My eyes started hurting after working on it for a few hours, I can usually last double of that duration on my MacBook Air before taking a break.

But after all, it is still a computer that I would use if I ever need Windows (esp for flashing phone software, etc).

anyway, free computers sound really good.

most peeps here just sell them off for some money haha, unless its really broken.

• Ole_Juul said: I use free computers for secondary stuff

Man... We've 1000's of students who're unable to purchase even a small pentium 4 computer. :\