Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Competition time - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Competition time

13»

Comments

• @Zen said: Something like the frontend on @sleddog's DNS app would be a perfect template for these types of projects.

Thanks :) It's a very simply templating system, same as I use for Blite. Simple = Fast...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2013

Well, I have decided to make a start on freek's idea anyway, another winner ill be decided tomorrow night for another development, I just could not stop myself from getting started.

I have finished the basic set up scripts so far, I decided to follow a Chess theme to keep things orderly in my head.

I called it 'vpchess' :p

The idea being that the king controls the pieces, I have written the deployment script for the king, and have made a good start on a knight I intend to add a queen who will be HA / filover with the king.

So far with a couple of minor bugs the knights can join a king, the king can then trigger an OpenVPN install on a knight and add users

I will add more functionality and another few roles over the next few days and then start looking at the role reporting side (I am keeping this in mind as I go)

I will then get up a basic page on the king with simple htaccess auth that shows you what your pieces have been up to and then I will release the lot and hopefully someone else can add some web based interactivity to trigger the scrip functions etc.

The upshot being that any script anyone has ever created to install/deploy/control something can be converted in to a role that the king can dish out to its pieces.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Hmm well, I just reread through this thread and although I see a few ideas I dont see any commitment to do the work :p

Have I miss-interpreted things?

If anyone wants to run with their idea let me know, failing that in an ironic twist I will continue with VPCHESS then release that and perhaps run another competition to develop deployment modules or a web ui or something.... I dunno this did not go to plan haha.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said: Have I miss-interpreted things?

I don't think so. So if no one wants to do anything, consider the VPS I donated a part of the chess project, I'm not deleting it either way ;)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith said: Have I miss-interpreted things?

in my case its because I'm not a coder. I would probably be able eventually to create something but it would have bad looks, terrible coding and will be available late fall 2020.