Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Competition time - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Competition time

Comments

• jhjh Member

@curtisg I'm not using a PHP framework admittedly but I've written the framework code already and it's still taking me time to add new features etc., simply because I'm a human being and I don't have endless time/energy/concentration :)

Your screenshots don't really show much. What have you actually achieved and in how much time? I'm just curious because I decided not to bother learning a PHP framework before writing Billr.

• @jhadley Currently 18 hours work.

Features completed: Invoicing, registeration/login, support tickets, view my products/products information, open/close tickets(via admin), manage products/orders via admincp and view/reply/close support tickets via admincp (can also view then not in admincp if your the creator of ticket/ect), manage customers.

Still need to add a few more things like PDF generation for invoices, as for security I've got all exploits I can find out of it. I need to add captcha ofc(for register, open ticket) but besides that I'm almost ready to have beta testing. Beta testers will get a free VPS for 1 month.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited January 2013

I'm tempted to throw nsdmin in for consideration, but the two-week timeframe doesn't work for me. Damn dayjob :)

• @Zen said: If and when will you release the source?

There's no "if", I fully plan to release it. The problem is "when". I'm having serious issues finding time to work on it. It's crossed my mind to simply hand it over to someone who can devote time to it. Interested?

• @Zen said: Can't dedicate time to anything at the moment - what needs to be done for it to be releasable?

I can appreciate the lack of time :)

What needs to be done? Not a lot. Documentation for setup, primarily. But a release is only step 1 IMO. The real work comes with maintenance.

• @sleddog said: I'm tempted to throw nsdmin in for consideration, but the two-week timeframe doesn't work for me. Damn dayjob :)

That's a good project to support

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Tempted to finish up and enter a project I'm currently working on. It's scalable, but wouldn't really work with 5GB disk, so would it be worth entering on the basis that it's scalable?

It allows you to select TV shows from a pre-built list, and have them torrented automatically whenever new episodes are released, converting them from their original format to FLV, and placing them into a web-based GUI where videos can be select and then played in FlowPlayer.

Only thing is, it's intended to run on local networks rather than over the web (torrenting on VPS is obviously not always a great idea).

• @liamwithers said: Only thing is, it's intended to run on local networks rather than over the web (torrenting on VPS is obviously not always a great idea).

I think you would have to check with the providers of the VPSs since, from my experience, most don't allow torrents, even if they are legal.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@alterarch said: I think you would have to check with the providers of the VPSs since, from my experience, most don't allow torrents, even if they are legal.

Yeahh, that's the problem really :/.. obviously with the plan on releasing it for use on local networks, it's then the responsibility of whoever is using it and only have themselves to blame if their ISP comes knocking on their door.

• @AnthonySmith said: Some good ideas so far, @jcaleb you should post the one you PM'ed its a good one.

Thanks. Just embarassed because its too simple:

High Availability Wordpress/NLMP Web Server. Master-Master the MySQL and a way to synch the web folders both ways for any changes (e.g. uploads, etc).

• @jcaleb said: High Availability Wordpress/NLMP Web Server. Master-Master the MySQL and a way to synch the web folders both ways for any changes (e.g. uploads, etc).

Sounds interesting. I would be interested as to which approach you would take to complete it.

• @alterarch said: Sounds interesting. I would be interested as to which approach you would take to complete it.

I just don't know where to use the third server =) Maybe a slave? So I have 2 masters that synch each other then maybe many slaves for scaling.

• @jcaleb said: High Availability Wordpress/NLMP Web Server.

I am all for this. Maybe use something like GlusterFS for the content folders?

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited January 2013

@ihatetonyy said: Maybe use something like GlusterFS for the content folders?

We can study that! Thanks bro!

• @AnthonySmith said: It might be a good idea if people really tool 10 seconds to think about ideas before posting them :)

I was expecting some ideas from @Raymii @Freek and maybe @joepie91

I at the moment don't have any ideas, except for my little mail backupper. Sponsor @joepie91 more with CVM?

• @AnthonySmith said: I was expecting some ideas from @Freek

I will give it a good night sleep and get back to you ;)

• I gave it a good night sleep but I can't really come up with anything innovative or 'new' at the moment... My brain is currently focusing on too many projects at once, so I don't have any room left for creative mindstorms ;)

Anyway, here are some older brainfarts of mine:

Redundant/Failover VPS Setup: Something I always wanted to have but never was able to accomplish, altough many claim it's so simple.. I challenge you to design/create an easy script/'control panel' to setup an easy reduntent/failover VPS Setup. It should be easy to add or remove VPSes. Adding a VPS makes it rsync with the currently setup VPSes so that it's up to date. (Imagine the possibilites. 2 Kimsufi's and bam, 2TB redundant storage for just 20 euros a month. Can't beat that!)

Combine/link unused VPS Storage to simulate 1 large HDD: I have several VPS. All of them have unused disk space. Wouldn't it be nice to combine/link that storage together so that you can actually use it properly to store files and serve them to your visitors?

Automated TeamSpeak server creation: TeamSpeak is still very popular but you can't get it for free. Mumble is free, but TeamSpeak isn't and I don't see why. TeamSpeak 2 is free, altough TeamSpeak 3 requires a license for 32> slot servers.
    How about a simple website where people can create their free 32 slot teamspeak server? TeamSpeak uses very little RAM/CPU/Disk so I still don't get why people aren't offering it for free just like mumble voice servers.

Again, these are brainfarts. Could be pure gold or pure shit.

I had another one but it slipped my mind. If it comes back, I'll post it.

• @Zen said: too awesome to release :3

PLAY BY TEH RULEZ!

@AnthonySmith said: 2) Must be open source

3) Must either provide the wider community with a service or made easily deployable by others

• @Freek said: I had another one but it slipped my mind. If it comes back, I'll post it.

VPN Network: Create some sort of basic control panel to manage and easy setup/add nodes to your VPN network (e.g. enter root user/pass and the control panel will do the rest). Should also include an option to add/remove user accounts and a link to download the key/certificates. Some fancy stuff could include bandwidth usage per node/user, uptime, load.. This way you can easily use all you VPS as a VPN server without going through the hassle of setting them up one by one.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Freek said: VPN Network: Create some sort of basic control panel to manage and easy setup/add nodes to your VPN network (e.g. enter root user/pass and the control panel will do the rest). Should also include an option to add/remove user accounts and a link to download the key/certificates. Some fancy stuff could include bandwidth usage per node/user, uptime, load.. This way you can easily use all you VPS as a VPN server without going through the hassle of setting them up one by one.

Interesting, so you could have some sort of control box/boxes that deploy VPS 'roles' to other attached servers such as mail, mysql, http, teamspeak, mumble, ircd, and anything else?

I really like that idea, open for community add-on roles too which almost covers every other idea in one :)

This one would maybe get my vote.

• @AnthonySmith said: Interesting, so you could have some sort of control box/boxes that deploy VPS 'roles' to other attached servers such as mail, mysql, http, teamspeak, mumble, ircd, and anything else?

Exactemundo! Although just for VPN would be a nice starting point. I would love to have a personal global VPN network with the ability to add more on the go without the hassle.

@Freek said: Exactemundo! Although just for VPN would be a nice starting point. I would love to have a personal global VPN network with the ability to add more on the go without the hassle.

Yeah doing this would be fairly simply however its the front/back end web ui I would struggle with personally.

I dunno even if this is not what gets chosen I might have a pop at it anyway :)

• @AnthonySmith said: I dunno even if this is not what gets chosen I might have a pop at it anyway :)

That would be awesome! Just a very basic web ui should suffice for me personally. I'm sure there are lots of skilled .css coders out there ;) !

• @AnthonySmith said: some sort of control box/boxes that deploy VPS 'roles' to other attached servers such as mail, mysql, http, teamspeak, mumble, ircd, and anything else?

This would be really perfect! A lot of us have many different VPSs ideling and if we could just deply services on them as we need them the idle servers could be easily put to use.

lol so I am going to win my own competition then..... not quite what I had in mind !

• @AnthonySmith said: lol so I am going to win my own competition then..... not quite what I had in mind !

Hey hey slow down there cowboy! Who gave you the initial idea ;) ?

• @AnthonySmith said: lol so I am going to win my own competition then..... not quite what I had in mind !

/me is having some idea. I'm already working on it. But don't want to publish anything as long as I haven't at least the half of the needed code :)

@Freek said: Hey hey slow down there cowboy! Who gave you the initial idea ;) ?

hehe I know just joking.

• looks like Ansible could do the deployment, ask @Raymii

• @djvdorp said: looks like Ansible could do the deployment, ask @Raymii

Can help you with Ansible, can also do Chef (chef-solo) if you want Ruby instead of python...