Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD choice for node
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD choice for node

I've been slowly migrating my KVM nodes to pure SSD and while I would prefer to use the Intel DC S3500 series, Samsung 850 PRO are doing an excellent job and blow Intel away on warranty, with 10 years vs Intel's 5 years.

My question is what about the SanDisk PRO line? It has a like warranty, and judging by http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/ is only slightly slower on writes than the Samsung and cost is a small issue to deal with, while it has a sightly lower cost, is also somewhat smaller capacity, so I'm curious what others are seeing?

So far with the nodes I have converted, I am unable to get the density I was hoping while maintaining the level of quality I prefer to offer.

I don't live and breath the pipeline either, so is there something just around the corner that would make my life better?

Comments

• Tried a 1TB Sandisk CloudSpeed SSD, wasn't too impressed.

SDLFOCAR-960G is the model.

• You can't got wrong with Samsung SSDs Tim ;).

I've one myself. A older one from 840 Evo series and it's awesome. And the price for them is also pretty good these days.

Stick to them I'd say.

• Crucial SSD's are quite good

• @Hidden_Refuge said:
    You can't got wrong with Samsung SSDs Tim ;).

I've one myself. A older one from 840 Evo series and it's awesome. And the price for them is also pretty good these days.

Stick to them I'd say.

What use do you use it for ?

• I had major issues with OCZ, Sandisk has not good history either but IIRC now they just smash together external controllers/flash anyway like most in Sandforce times.

Samsung and Corsair worked well; old Intel DC (SATA2 times; 60/120GB) failed after a few years silently without read-only so not too impressed with them.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @inthecloudblog said:
    What use do you use it for ?

I won't mention it here. Sorry.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Hidden_Refuge said: I've one myself. A older one from 840 Evo series and it's awesome. And the price for them is also pretty good these days.

Not recommending the 840 for a node. The 850 is good though.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @jarland said:
    Not recommending the 840 for a node. The 850 is good though.

They used to have firmware issue leading to degarding performance but it was fixed :) .

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Ehh.... "fixed" :P

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited December 2015

@jarland said:
    Ehh.... "fixed" :P

Well, it was Samsung and their "let's develop shitty firmware" and "we'll fix things later - not really" until they really fixed it the latest firmware due to a lot of pressure.

It was firmware related. So not it's like a hardware issue. Just lazy devs. Anyway, I bought mine years ago so... They money is good and the 850s are worth it anyway. Really cheap but great product.

• EVOs are not server grade, if I am not wrong.

• @Junkless said:
    EVOs are not server grade, if I am not wrong.

Neither are the regular PROs technically, but it depends on workload. I have 850 EVOs & PROs in production, EVO box isn't too write heavy.

There are also the DC editions of EVO & PRO now, which are meant for server workloads.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I prefer SanDisk for home but we only buy Samsung for our nodes now (we do have 6x Crucial MX100 in our NJ node, but we were doing comparison testing against the Samsung 850s and they were basically the same performance so we stuck with Samsung going forward).

Thanked by 1miTgiB
  • Hidden_Refuge said: A older one from 840 Evo series and it's awesome.

When I re-purposed all my E5 nodes in Charlotte for Ceph, I removed Samsung 830's and 840's which were used for CacheCade for years, and hooked them up to flash the firmware and see what the life levels were like, and they all were 90% or higher with the Samsung Magician software they make, so I was pretty confident with the 850 PRO after beating the old models to hell and back as cache drives for several years. I replaced those with Intel DC S3510's as Ceph journals.

mikeyur said: Neither are the regular PROs technically, but it depends on workload.

As long as I don't get similar time of death, CentOS 7 with the 3.10 kernel and the version of mdadm being TRIM aware I feel much better about using SSD, just feel I was real late adopting it, but I was never able to feel comfortable with them, or everyone else is more comfortable rolling the dice. I don't have 1000+ day uptimes by rolling the dice ;)

I'm finding my E3's don't have the gas to get the density I was hoping, but I'm still able to get an additional 25% boost in node capacity which will help avoid adding to SolusVM's cashflow

Thanked by 1Nic_20TBSSD
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

@mitgib We now use crucial mx200 500 gigs and Samsung 850 evo's 500 gigs also. We have great success with both manufacturers

Thanked by 1miTgiB
  • PieNotEvenEaten said: crucial mx200 500 gigs and Samsung 850 evo's 500 gigs

KuJoe said: Crucial MX100

Why am I seeing a Street Fighter match starting?

KuJoe said: comparison testing against the Samsung 850s

PRO or EVO?

Thanked by 1perennate
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@miTgiB said:
    PRO or EVO?

EVO is the name of a big fighter game tournament :P

Francisco

• miTgiB said: is there something just around the corner that would make my life better?

If you want to see where the market's heading look at the 950 PRO: 3D V-NAND instead of TLC (the 850 PRO has the first generation of this), NVMe instead of AHCI, and PCIe instead of SATA. The three together are a significant step up in performance and endurance.

• As someone said ceph what ovh is using is nvme maybe leb hosting providers can't pay those though

• KosherHamKosherHam Member
    edited December 2015

Industry standard seems to be (in no particular order):
    Intel
    Micron/Crucial
    Samsung

I prefer Micron and Samsung. But that's just me. There were some problems with older Intel SSD's... which I wont go into detail about.

Corsair is also fairly reliable.

@miTgiB said:
    PRO or EVO?

EVO

• KuJoe said: I prefer SanDisk for home

SanDisk are good nowadays? They provide some really cheap stuff...

I replaced my old Samsung 830 with a SanDisk X210 and I loved it. I have 2x Team Group Ultras (RAID0) and a Mushkin Enhanced Reactor as a backup for the X210 also but if money was no object then I'd stick with only SanDisk for home.

Thanked by 2MT1M inthecloudblog
  • KuJoe said: if money was no object then I'd stick with only SanDisk for home.

Out of curiousity, why? It's usually the other way around -- SanDisk has some very compelling budget options yet doesn't seem able to match Samsung on the high-end.

• I am using samsung 850 evo and intel 520 ssd in my home computers,both are giving awesome performance

edited December 2015

@Dylan said:
    Out of curiousity, why? It's usually the other way around -- SanDisk has some very compelling budget options yet doesn't seem able to match Samsung on the high-end.

I guess it's just personal preference. I really like the Samsung 850s but I just trust a name like SanDisk more. I've never had an issue with any Samsung SSDs, but I have had issues with other Samsung products in the past. When I'm running RAID I don't really care what kind of drives they are but if I was running a single drive then I'd rather have something I trust hence why I prefer SanDisk for home use.

• KuJoe said: When I'm running RAID I

Are you running RAID1 or RAID10 in nodes with SSD? I share your feelings about consumer electronics and brand, but I leave my Windows bias at the door when building nodes. Microsoft has not been a standards setting entity for years now, if ever since the popularity of the Internet took off in the mid 90's.

• @Hidden_Refuge said:
    You can't got wrong with Samsung SSDs Tim ;).

Stick to them I'd say.

If u would using sansung, u should using PRO instead EVO
    And never using any TLC-based SSD on any Server or Datacenter!!!

• wychwych Member
    edited December 2015

@KuJoe said:
    I guess it's just personal preference. I really like the Samsung 850s but I just trust a name like SanDisk more.

Funny, my OCZ and Sandisk drives are still alive and fine.

Had a few Samsungs come back recently that are just dead, usually can't be read in BIOS. Starting to go off Samsung now.

@miTgiB said:
    Are you running RAID1 or RAID10 in nodes with SSD? I share your feelings about consumer electronics and brand, but I leave my Windows bias at the door when building nodes. Microsoft has not been a standards setting entity for years now, if ever since the popularity of the Internet took off in the mid 90's.

We only run RAID10 in our servers. I run RAID1 and RAID0 at home.

@wych said:
    Had a few Samsungs come back recently that are just dead, usually can't be read in BIOS. Starting to go off Samsung now.

I have a Samsung 830 still alive and kicking as an external drive. I've never actually had any hard drive ever die on me (HDD or SSD) so I consider myself very lucky and now that I've said that I expect Murphy to pay me a visit soon so time to make some good backups. :)