Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest domain registrar with free privacy protection
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest domain registrar with free privacy protection

Any others besides namesilo? for .com domains only.

thanks

Comments

• namecheap.com

• @GCat said:
    namecheap.com

Technically that's more expensive than NameSilo in most cases.

• @Gunter said:

Pick two:

• @GCat said:

NameSilo is all three. NameCheap is only Fast.

This is hardly relevant.

• internetbs.net

• Namesilo.

• register with godaddy coupon, then transfer to namesilo :)

• NameSilo.

• TheKillerTheKiller Member
    edited December 2015

name.com

privacy free for first year.

Use coupon privacyplease.

Thanked by 1nekaters
  • Intenetbs namesilo alternative

• NameSilo

• namesilo

• ITT: People who didn't even realize that OP wants alternatives to NameSilo.

Thanked by 3TheKiller GM2015 cassa
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

You didn't realize namesilo's a good alternative to namesilo? hmpf.

Just kidding.

Namecheap's great in my opinion.

Gunter said: People who didn't even realize that OP wants alternatives to NameSilo.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • Internetbs and Subreg is my 2 alternatif

• with regular price, hard to beat namesilo.

• andiklive said: with regular price, hard to beat namesilo.

READ THE OP YOU HELMET.

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

mrdomain.com

Their have the best WHMCS module that I have ever see.

• @Nekki said:
    READ THE OP YOU HELMET.

sorry, i mean namesilo is the lowest price on the market with "regular price" without coupon etc. i dont see namesilo alternative, maybe name.com

• netnet Member
    edited December 2015

Has anyone used cosmotown.com?
    Its price is also very low.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@jmginer said:
    mrdomain.com

Their prices for professionals are indeed competitive, even more if you don't have to pay VAT. Their regular prices... not so much, but still they provide a good service.

• right now pairnic.com (ran by pair) has a 9.99 special which theirs includes it. sadly I just moved my domain so i can't take advantage of it for another 30 days..

• scotwhitescotwhite Member
    edited December 2015

@Gunter said:

@GM2015 said:
    You didn't realize namesilo's a good alternative to namesilo? hmpf.

Just kidding.

Namecheap's great in my opinion.

Yes, I am also agree with recommendation of namecheap.com because it is well known name in the market for domain registration as well as for providing highest & exclusive discount coupon code every month https://www.cheapsslcouponcode.com/store/namecheap.com

• "Privacy Protection" is totally useless, you can easily force the company to reveal the real owners.

• louis_laulouis_lau Member
    edited December 2015

@TarZZ92 said:
    "Privacy Protection" is totally useless, you can easily force the company to reveal the real owners.

Well making it easy is even more useless, isn't it?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

TarZZ92 said: "Privacy Protection" is totally useless, you can easily force the company to reveal the real owners.

This is generalizing a lot and will depend on the company, but "easily" isn't a concrete term either.

• louis_lau said: Well making it easy is even more useless, isn't it?

there is no need for it in the first place, quite frankly i have nothing to hide.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited December 2015

I learned a lot about domain registration privacy protection a couple months ago. It is not as simple and straightforward as it may seem.

For example, when you activate the registrar's privacy protection feature, you may be transferring the legal ownership of your domain to your domain registrar or the privacy protection entity, not you. It is the Registrant ID name that legally owns a domain. If your provider hides your name and substitutes a replacement for privacy purposes, then that entity is the one that "owns" and "controls" the domain, not you. If something happens where your domain gets hacked and taken over by someone else, you may have far less recourse to recover ownership if the domain is not actually registered in your real name. You may have to depend on the registrar and whatever legal forces they care to supply (or not) to fight for your legal rights. If the domain registration company is sold to a new, unscrupulous owner, then theoretically, they could charge high "update fees", for example. You would have little recourse but to pay those fees, because legally, you do not own the domains. (I doubt it would happen, and I would hope that ICANN would get involved, but you get the point.)

Some of my domains are registered with Gandi.net. Gandi.net requires users to register with their full first and last names, and those names are not hidden even in privacy protected whois records. Why? Because of the legal ownership issues and ICANN rules. They want to ensure that there is no question about the identity of the person with legal ownership of your domain (you!), and they believe that full first and last names are necessary for that. I guess that "Cher" and "Madonna" do not register their domains with Gandi.net. :-)

One day I noticed that my full name was displayed in my privacy-enabled whois records for the domains I registered at Gandi.net. My domains are not "sensitive", but I could see how this type of exposure might be a real issue for people who run controversial or sensitive websites and might be concerned for their jobs, personal safety, or even their lives. I went through several rounds of discussions with Gandi.net to express my frustration about exposing my real name on those domains without clear warning. Once exposed, ownership of my domains were recorded by many servers on the Internet, and it is impossible to undo that. Of course I pointed out that other registrars hide the real names of registrants, and of course Gandi.net is aware of it. Gandhi.net claims that the other registrars are violating ICANN regulations and that real names must be published.

I looked at the ICANN regulations. To be honest, they cross-reference each other in a messy way, and the text is somewhat ambiguous. Furthermore, some of the relevant regulations are still in "beta" form since 2013. I do not fully agree with Gandi.net's interpretations of the rules, but I can see how they arrived at them. Gandi.net did get their legal department involved in the discussion with me.

Both ICANN and Gandi.net are looking further at the privacy protection issue for the very reasons that I cited above, but I doubt we will see changes in the near future. Heck, ICANN hasn't gotten the relevant regulations out of BETA yet, and it has been 2 1/2 years.

Another thing to keep in mind - if you wish to transfer your privacy protected domain from one registrar to another, then you must disable privacy briefly until the transfer is complete. It can take days, or even a couple weeks. During that time, independent servers on the Internet may record the actual domain ownership anyway.

(P.S. Why did I register a few domains with Gandi.net? Because I want to get some hands-on experience with DNSSEC. Gandi.net is one of the few domain registrars with full support for DNSSEC.)

Thanked by 2aglodek namhuy
  • emg said: I guess that "Cher" and "Madonna" do not register their domains with Gandi.net

They have full names too!

• a few providers offer privacy protection for free with all new domain registrations, us included. So if that's your main caveat you can give us or a number of other sites a shot.