Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: UGVPS to Launch KVM.. But where? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Poll: UGVPS to Launch KVM.. But where?

2»

Comments

• Definitely UK, shame about the whole OpenVZ saga, I'll cancel that plan asap.

Getting 17ms ping to that test IP on BT Infinity; 3 hops (excluding the main node) after it leaves the BT network

• Handy Networks is in Chicago

• Coventry, United Kingdom :)

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Coventry would be amazing for me. Need a custom UK KVM package and taking me some time to find that "perfect" place at the right price. Coventry is a fantastic location for me (less than 40 miles) and should fit the bill just right.

• It's looking a lot like the UK right now. I'm waiting for all my fellow lazy Americans to get out of bed and vote though =P

-Crystal

• "+1 Already had at least two containers from different vps providers but in the same ColoCrossing datacenter, "

+2 I;m looking for a small (512MB) VPS on the west coast to use as a DNS server but not at ColoCrossing because I have 2 VPS's in their LA datacenter.

"other DC continuum or something. I'm not sure how they perform"

They had some major networking issues early last year but have been stable since then.

• Just tried the 100mb file, the throughput is great. Maxing out my home 80mbps connection; you'd be crazy not to choose Coventry

• Getting ~500kbps, even through a UK EDIS VPN :)

• @UGVPS said: Lots of UK love.

Wait until the Asians wake up

• I'm all about UK, and this thread has reminded me - I have one of those crazy 3GB plans to plan about with after it migrated to Coventry on Xmas day!

• Coventry, United Kingdom (UK Servers)

• I wish there were more providers in the Midwest so I vote for Chicago.

• LV_MattLV_Matt Member
    edited January 2013

UKServers where poor when we used them (5 months ago). Not only did they fail to provide there customers with notice regarding maintenance, they also reacted at the speed of a snail to any network issues. Since moving to our new location things have dramatically improved.

• gameongameon Member
    edited January 2013

@UGVPS said: Currently tossing around 1GB @ 6.99USD

i vote for UK :) , will pick up a couple (or more) if its available for $6.5 or less :D

• wdqwdq Member

Chicago since it's closest to me.

• Not to feed the beast or anything but We might be looking @ doing Raid 10 SSD KVM. Waiting for the datacenter in the UK to come back with numbers. If I can get some of you to commit, I might just set this up this week-end in the UK :)

If we go the SSD route which is sounding nice because i don't think there is a lot of KVM SSD out there.

I don't want to speculate on any plans/pricing until i get the quote back. I'll keep everyone posted though.

-Crystal

• Dacentec, because I live in North Carolina.

• ServerSharpServerSharp Member, Host Rep

@UGVPS - might be an idea to get a quote from the 2nd most popular location too :)

• I vote UK too :)

• @UGVPS said: Theres really only two games in Chicago, ColoCrossing is just well the one everyone goes with. I never tested the other DC continuum or something. I'm not sure how they perform.

You would be wrong sir! FDC, Colostore, Continuum, Colo-crossing. Prefer ColoStore!

• colostore even though Southbend is really Chicago just back hauled to Indiana and like a 1-2 millisecond difference.

• LeeLee Veteran

@LV_Matt said: UKServers where poor when we used them (5 months ago). Not only did they fail to provide there customers with notice regarding maintenance, they also reacted at the speed of a snail to any network issues. Since moving to our new location things have dramatically improved.

^^ This, I got a box from them, cancelled within a week, hard drive failed on the Sat, their 10 min guaranteed critical response time actually took 32 hours for the first response to come through..

• LV_MattLV_Matt Member
    edited January 2013

Sounds pretty similar to what I experienced. From what I understood (twitter) UKServers had no onsite staff during the power outage at BlueSquare. Clients who colo'd there managed to get staff there quicker. Neither did they inform clients of the what had been scheduled.

So frankly I was a bit annoyed, but I have heard some other horror stories in there new location at Coventry. I know HostDime left UKServers after numerous issues.

UKServers are cheap but cheap for a reason.

• @LV_Matt I just dropped some equipment there today. I haven't had any problems related to recieving support via phone. However support tickets go answered for a long time, billing related.

So issues like this may just be isolated to dedicated servers.

• UK (:

• The company I work for uses ColoCrossing's network in Chicago. Hard to beat.

• Coventry, United Kingdom (UK Servers)
    :)

• Out of the four options given, I vote Coventry, United Kingdom.

• LA, because it's stable and fast for both asia and usa
    I'm in asia, i vote LA :D