Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AWS enters on LET market - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AWS enters on LET market

Comments

• I see. Gotta stick with the "Let's try this provider --except blacklist.providers deadpool.providers" approach then.

jarland said: Unfortunately there's really no one size fits all. Just gotta find the best network for the points you need to reach the fastest :)

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited December 2015

Microlinux said: The financial and opportunity cost of building, expanding and maintaining their own infrastructure would almost surely outweigh AWS. At those levels, you consider more than just the number of dollars and cents written on the check when figuring in the true cost of doing business.

Yes, however many would not go this way, you know there is a step in between, namely renting either some racks or a cage in an existing DC just like Amazon does....

• @Microlinux said:
    The financial and opportunity cost of building, expanding and maintaining their own infrastructure would almost surely outweigh AWS. At those levels, you consider more than just the number of dollars and cents written on the check when figuring in the true cost of doing business.

It's funny how Amazon themselves do the exact opposite, always choosing owned in-house solutions over IaaS. Even AWS was made so they can profit from the idling hardware they normally use only on black friday.

• @William said:
    you know there is a step in between

I do, and it's more than floor space and empty racks.

• @elwebmaster said:
    It's funny how Amazon themselves do the exact opposite, always choosing owned in-house solutions over IaaS.

There is certainly a point and/or situations where it makes sense to roll your own. Until you reach that point, or find your self in that situation, it inherently does not.

• GM2015 said: How's lunanode's ping to USA from Canada?

I'm in Virginia and using their Toronto location...I get around 32ms - I love Lunanode, so many features!

• Tip for anyone who wants to use AWS:

Avoid it.

My friend runs a large based website, it used to cost him $200/month to run on AWS, which is fine, he woke up one morning it started taking off, one year later and $65,000 a month later, he's going broke. Only $1.2m left to spend, and since everything is so configured to use AWS, he doesn't want to migrate, so much for investors money.

• AWS is nice if your looking for scale-ability.

• GCat said: My friend runs a large based website, it used to cost him $200/month to run on AWS, which is fine, he woke up one morning it started taking off, one year later and $65,000 a month later, he's going broke. Only $1.2m left to spend, and since everything is so configured to use AWS, he doesn't want to migrate, so much for investors money.

Whereas, if he had been with a LET provider, his site would've continued to load fine for all those visitors for $7/mo.

Thanked by 2howardsl2 squibs
  • @Microlinux said:
    There is certainly a point and/or situations where it makes sense to roll your own. Until you reach that point, or find your self in that situation, it inherently does not.

If you spend all your budget on overpriced inferior services and get locked into them so hard that switching away can ruin your business, then you may never reach that point.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

his site would've continued to load fine for all those visitors for $7/mo.

Nah, he could have started with five of these triple SSD 3.4 GHz E3 dedis with 32GB of RAM, and over time expanded to, say, 50 servers, and it'd still only cost about 2200 USD/month, 30 times less than AWS. And I don't know what kind of website you must have if 50 such servers wouldn't handle it (and how you don't earn those $2-3K/mo with that site).

• @mpkossen said:
    That's apples and oranges. With AWS you pay for what you actually use, with a typical LET server you pay for what you likely won't use. The business model is different and the target market is different.

Ya, LET is kinda crowd-funding while Amazon is just earning lots of money with it.

• @Weblogics said:
    Amazon also allows alerts to be set for spending thresholds and budgets. I would like though to see them implement true bandwidth controls etc and this has been requested for years by many users.

Correct. The biggest problem with their CloudFront/S3 is I can't set limits on traffic consumed.

So I can be easily drained for any sum by simply leeching the traffic off my resources. I have had such impact once, and had to terminate my CDN caching at AWS for that reason.

The feature is indeed much requested, but looks like AWS is quite reluctant at allowing suers to control their expenses easily.

Note: I terminate my constantly running VMs at them, butAWS is still a great platform offering many a tools in single place. Also, I appreciate their Glacier storage as well.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @GCat said:
    Tip for anyone who wants to use AWS:
    Avoid it.

My friend runs a large based website, it used to cost him $200/month to run on AWS, which is fine, he woke up one morning it started taking off, one year later and $65,000 a month later, he's going broke. Only $1.2m left to spend, and since everything is so configured to use AWS, he doesn't want to migrate, so much for investors money.
    Avoid it.

What website is your friend running...please specify the url.

Although these are only rough numbers and not indicative of any real world setup, spending $65,000 per month on EC2 would get some serious resources. In theory, the below would handle 10's of millions of unique visits per month. Note these are unreserved numbers and anyone running such a huge system would be taking advantage of reserved and probably spot instances pricing costs.

Amazon EC2 Instances:

25 x g2.8xlarge

**Per each instance: **(32 vCPU / 60 GB RAM / SSD 2 x 120)

Data Transfer:

20 TB transfer in per month (not highly likely)

Inter-Region Data Transfer Out: 60 TB

Data Transfer Out: 60 TB

Public IP/Elastic IP Data Transfer: 20 TB

Elastic Load Balancing:

Number of Elastic LBs: 10

Total Data Processed by all ELBs: 10TB

Amazon EBS Volumes:

25 x 100 GB EBS volumes May require some for backups. S3 is a better option.

RDS

10 x m3.large (10GB) MySQL databases

Cloudfront

1 x 20TB Cloudfront (CDN)

S3 Storage

1 x 2 TB

Inter-Region Data Transfer Out: 5

Data Transfer Out: 5

Data Transfer In: 5

• GCatGCat Member
    edited December 2015

Weblogics said: What website is your friend running...please specify the url.

I'll decline to post that without their permission.

The reality is it's about $55,000, but Incapsula to handle ddos attacks adds a few $, the paying himself, then paying his team every month, developers. It amounts to $65,000 after those additional costs.

I know for a fact he uses well over 5 TB on Cloudfront CDN, over 300 GB in SQL storage, and a ton of load balances, site averages over 2 mil request a day, amounts to about 83,000 visits an hour. That's the "low numbers." I'm not talking unique, at least 80% is recurring traffic.

• @GCat said:

I'll decline to post that without their permission.

The reality is it's about $55,000, but Incapsula to handle ddos attacks adds a few $, the paying himself, then paying his team every month, developers. It amounts to $65,000 after those additional costs.

I know for a fact he uses well over 10 TB on Cloudfront CDN, over 300 GB in SQL storage, and a ton of load balances, site averages over 2 mil request a day, amounts to about 83,000 visits an hour. That's the "low numbers." I'm not talking unique, at least 80% is recurring traffic.

So based on the above numbers you posted, it appears your friend runs a very public and active website but you cannot post the url without his permission?

• Weblogics said: So based on the above numbers you posted, it appears your friend runs a very public and active website but you cannot post the url without his permission?

Very public, yes, very active yes, and my personal choice not to post it is my personal choice, if you PM me I'll send you the URL, I just don't wish it to be indexed on here, attached with the URL address.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited December 2015

@GCat said:
    Very public, yes, very active yes, and my personal choice not to post it is my personal choice, if you PM me I'll send you the URL, I just don't wish it to be indexed on here, attached with the URL address.

If you know what is good for you and your friend don't post it or PM it ... lest you want that bill to double overnight; with useless LowEndTraffic, LowEndDDoS, etc.

• rm_ said: 30 times less than AWS

AWS is not that overpriced. Same amount of SSD is 15x at AWS but comes with more CPU power.

• nowprovisionnowprovision Member
    edited December 2015

@OnApp_Terry said:
    @OnApp_Terry said:
    The classic comeback is always that Amazon itself uses Dyn for their DNS.

This is something I applaud, and recently ranted how few hosts do this. It is a delibrate decision to not use Route53 for Amazon.

If there's ever a global and cross tld problem with Route53 (however remote the chances) they will still be able to communicate with their customers and status page can remain up (subject to other dependencies).

Never had a problem with Route53, granted it can take upto 15minutes for each ns to serve the update (regardles of ttl - e.g. nslookup change.fqdn nsfaf.awsdns.org etc.. ), but after that you have pretty dane resilient DNS

Smart thinking imho

Thanked by 1lbft
  • nowprovision said: If there's ever a global and cross tld problem with Route53 (however remote the chances) they will still be able to communicate with their customers and status page can remain up (subject to other dependencies).

This is exactly how banks in Japan tried to stay afloat during the recession. There were no investment possibilities that made the interest rate they promised, so they'd bundle up all the deposits made by their customers and dump them in an account a competing bank.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2015

@singsing said:
    This is exactly how banks in Japan tried to stay afloat during the recession. There were no investment possibilities that made the interest rate they promised, so they'd bundle up all the deposits made by their customers and dump them in an account a competing bank.

That's exactly why I chose the Quesarito today at Taco Bell, because in world war 2 the majority of soldiers didn't wear sundresses.

Thanked by 2rpollestad GM2015
  • Weblogics said: 25 x g2.8xlarge

Realistically no one really uses that, the *.2xlarge and *.large are far more popular iirc.

• @mpkossen said:

Same here, I've been using their DNS for years and haven't had a problem

• vladka24vladka24 Member
    edited December 2015

I remember there was a billing glitch for me. And I took advantage of it by running up the gpu series VMs for a whole month. Then my account magically disappeared...

• @Weblogics said: 25 x g2.8xlarge

@William said:Realistically no one really uses that, the *.2xlarge and *.large are far more popular iirc.

As I mentioned in my post: These are only rough numbers and not indicative of any real world setup_.

It was a bit of work to configure a hypothetical $65,000 per month EC2 based website usage cost that was mentioned by another poster and I don't imagine that anyone would take those rough numbers and configuration I created as a basis for a real world EC2 based website.

• Also consider that much of AWS costs for large corps is likely RDS, Elastic Beanstalk, DDB, S3 and so on and not just "bare xen" EC2.

• William said: Also consider that much of AWS costs for large corps is likely RDS, Elastic Beanstalk, DDB, S3 and so on and not just "bare xen" EC2.

Well, not Elastic Beanstalk in any case, as it's free.

But yes, the business model is they have a whole bunch of stuff you don't have to configure and just works, so it's easy to launch there. Then you're locked in because your data is there and porting elsewhere will not be realistic.

• @linuxthefish said:
    Prepaid card?

No, if they caught you using prepaid cards, they will disable some services (e.g. Route 53 and Cloudfront)

And some regions of EC2.

• You sure as hell had some interesting history teachers in school.

jarland said: That's exactly why I chose the Quesarito today at Taco Bell, because in world war 2 the majority of soldiers didn't wear sundresses.

Thanked by 1jar